Forums Latest Members

Zenith El Primero A385- expert analysis wanted of the watch photos attached-

1. walterwhite May 13, 2014

I gather some folk on here know what they are talking about regarding vintage Zenith- would such people please be kind enough to peruse the following watch photos and give their opinion regarding whether the watch looks 100% legit,originality, condition etc etc thanks......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J-Luc and Privateday7 like this.
  2. haga888 May 13, 2014

Case looks a bit wavy at the bottom so it's had a polish. No movement shot. Something about the hands look NOS to me but they may be original. Other than that it looks ok to me but I'm far, far, far from an expert.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 13, 2014

Here are a couple of photos of an un-touched A385 case.
    DSC00602.jpg DSC00603.jpg

4. walterwhite May 13, 2014

With regards to the watch in the OP- the watch appears decent other than the bottom of the case has been left a bit wavy -do you think a skilled watch maker could smarten it up by making it level or is it best left well alone on the polishing front ?

5. haga888 May 13, 2014

Search for the A3817 that Abel Court refinished for LouS. I have one in much worse shape than the one above that I'm sending him in a couple of weeks. I think he could clean the one above up, at least make it straighter.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 13, 2014

Personally, I would leave it alone - at least until it is next serviced and then discuss it with your watch maker. It won't show to the naked eye (only in high resolution, greatly magnified photos)

There are some case experts around who could do it but to straighten it up you will lose some more of the metal. Un-polished cases of this shape are getting more and more rare.

7. papaebetu May 13, 2014

Wrong crown !
    The original from '69s got a bigger star inside a larger circle ;)

GIGI

8. walterwhite May 14, 2014

Yes- I've had a scout online and the original crown did have a slightly bigger star & circle.......
    this vintage watch game seems a minefield......does anyone have a BNIB unworn A385 I could buy please?
    I suppose it's like buying a 1960's vintage car- could you expect it to be like it left the factory?
    As long as it's originality is 'acceptable' do you just pull the trigger and enjoy the watch?
    Maybe I should stick with G-shocks!

9. haga888 May 14, 2014

That's up to you to decide. The one you posted I personally think is a decent example but it's not perfect. If the price was right I'd consider it. If you are really after something that is completely original, never polished, and mint condition with box and papers, you'll have to be very patient, constantly searching, prepared to pull the trigger on a price that you may not like, and do it quickly, and probably most importantly... lucky. The more desirable the watch, the less likely you are to find one in flawless condition. Collectors tend to hold on to those ones.

How many people do you know today that buy brand new watches, never wear it and intend to place it in a safe to be sold in 40 years? How many people do you think were doing that 45 years ago? A BNIB collectible vintage watch I'd say is rare.

10. m neuman What, me worry? May 16, 2014

Like 'bees knees'