Forums Latest Members

Zenith 18K 146D; Am I a Fool?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Even my verbage is wrong... his ad is not only 'inaccurate', it's an all-out, blatant LIE!

Hopefully, the mods at TZ will take it down...

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Apparently, he had responded to my offer about 9 hours ago with a counter-offer midway between asking price, and the price I offered. I didn't see his response until now, but I responded to him just a moment ago.

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and not accuse him of any wrong-doing, so as not to stir up the hornet's nest! But, I'm with you, Lou, I think he must know the dial is fake. As I said before, I've already let the mods know.

Here is my message to him:

'Vic, Thanks for your response. However, I am now certain the dial on your watch is not original. Have you compared it to the Zenith catalogue? It is not the same. I think you will need to remedy this error. Good luck and all the best, Doug'

3. ulackfocus Oct 28, 2014

The dial isn't fake - it's refinished. It is the original slab of metal so there's a point of contention - where collectors won't call it original without the paint that came from the factory, a seller can use that piece of metal as a technicality.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

But, he says: "perfect authentic condition, having no interventions whatsoever'..'excellent unrestored dial". Clearly he says it's exactly original

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

So a seller can say that means the 'plate' that is painted upon is 'authentic' and 'unrestored', i.e., the same material underneath? That's just BS!!

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 29, 2014

"Vic, Thanks for your response. However, I am now certain the dial on your watch is not original. Have you compared it to the Zenith catalogue? It is not the same. I think you will need to remedy this error. Good luck and all the best, Doug"

Here is his response a few hours ago:

"Have you compared this watch to a 1960s catalogue ? I should remind you that this is a vintage watch, not a modern one. Also you should known that in that time there were several dial variations. Best regards, Vic"

Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

Haven't seen a response from the mods yet..

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 31, 2014

Just challenge him to show you another chronograph - by any maker - that has "Kmh" printed in such way on a tachy ring with a single set of numbers, instead of "BASE" or "TACHYMETRE" or nothing at all. I think he will find that this variation is very rare. Unique even. Perhaps he has set the price too low for this unicorn.

dougiedude likes this.