Forums Latest Members

Zenith 18K 146D; Am I a Fool?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 27, 2014

2. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2014

Seems like a very fair price for the watch's condition - maybe too low.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 27, 2014

sorta what I was thinking... case appears to have been heavily polished,... but dial seems pretty untouched.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 27, 2014

'Buy the Seller', however, so I'm needing some seller feedback... looking..::confused2::

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 27, 2014

Made an offer... fingers crossed! ::popcorn::

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 27, 2014

DAmmit! I hate the waiting... I guess he's asleep right now, over there in Rumania-land.. ::yawn::

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

For or what it's worth (at least 4 cents!) I've found some nice watches in Romania over the years. I know everyone except me hates broad sweeping generalizations ( I love 'em) But Romania is one of those nations where the intelligentsia and money earners used non perishable commodities as investment or savings vehicles in lieu of volatile local currency (this is one of the reasons why Italy is the black hole of wristwatches mostly of the limited edition and gold variety).

One caveat: Romanians are very sophisticated and know exactly what their prized possessions are worth...right down to the penny. i believe you found a nice example which if bought, will become a dougiedude family heirloom. @ 35mm, that's a nice "wearin' watch".

dougiedude likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

No word yet; I did find substantial feedback on the seller in the WUS Forum, including a somewhat volatile exchange between he and a buyer, where they disputed between each other as to who owed the PayPal fees. I was surprised he was so difficult with this buyer, esp. when the buyer, when he realized the seller wasn't going to budge, asked for his PP money back, but the seller couldn't because of a negative balance (and another transaction in dispute!). This may be one where I'd have to decide if it's worth the 'risk'. Here's the thread::popcorn:: :

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/victorescu-shady-deal-871038.html

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

If he accepts your offer you just know it's going to be + paypal fees.

10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

I don't have time to read that two stories and the truth crap but like I wrote earlier: romanians are tough negotiators and brutally frank about... everything. Remember; they've been dealing with Aryan - Indo "Gypsies" from modern India for over 1000 years. They camped out in Romania and mostly never left except for a few who came to England and the USA to apply blacktop (Tarmac) to the driveways of private homes.

Anyway, dealing with all these gypsies turned Romanians into harsh but very honest and fair business people. You won't get a watch from a Romanian for a penny less than she's
    worth but you'll gain access to high quality and well cared for examples.

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

oh, one thing: All Romanians from 8 to 80 love trance music. not the cheesy circus trance like tiesto; the progressive and slightly more sophisticated John Digweed and Nick Warren type. It will help you negotiate if you randomly start discussing Trance music.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Your description of the average Romanian jibes very well with the stubborn way he dealt with that customer, although he called him a thief, a liar, and a few other things that were quite uncalled for.

If he ever responds to my offer (and he may not, as my offer was about 15% below his asking price), I might ask if we may chat by phone; then I will research 'Trance' music, and give him a ring...

Thanks for the very specific negotiating advice!

13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Good point.

I was very specific in my offer to him regarding those PP fees, so I don't think he can call me all the names he called 'hashish' (funny name, huh?) on WUS...

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Step away from the watch. It is a redial.

15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Do you mind giving me specifics on how you can tell?

16. alam Oct 28, 2014

ooooh! U hate when this happens!
    ::popcorn::

stepback.png stepback2.png
    dougiedude likes this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Fonts are wrong. Look in particular at the subdials. In the tachymeter, there should be no "Kmh" and the increments do not match the original. Finally, the circular graining of the subdials has been obliterated. Compare with a proper dial and a catalog photo

DSCF1872copy_zpscf19681d.jpg

xDSC_0280.jpg

Cent-50b.jpg

dougiedude likes this.
  18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

Wow, I am so glad you've told me. Thank you so much for your expertise!

Thankfully, he hasn't responded to my offer yet... perhaps he's already found another unsuspecting victim... that would be awful!

I have no problem pointing these out to him when he responds. If he denies, maybe I should let TZ mods know... maybe I will say something to them anyway tonight...

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

I bet he already knows.

20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 28, 2014

So, I just reported it as an inaccurate ad based on his statement: 'The dial is slightly aged but in perfect authentic condition, having no interventions whatsoever'..'excellent unrestored dial'