Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 13, 2014

I know we have many Apple & Android lovers in this forum.
    Simple question:
    Will you consider to buy iWatch ( or any smartWatch) when it's available in the market?

My answer: NO. One smartphone is enough to enslave me.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 13, 2014

I probably will because I'm one of those annoying people that buys new Apple toys just to mock friends or relatives and tell them they're missing out. But its never going to replace a proper watch.

AuBuyer likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 13, 2014

I absolutely won't buy one. It annoys me enough with people weaving across the pavements of London whilst texting or playing Facebook. They are going to look like complete pr1cks, walking along talking to their wrist.

4. sohail Jul 13, 2014

It's like comparing apple with bananas.......lol

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 13, 2014

its not really a watch is it.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 13, 2014

I was in the first round of backers for the Pebble watch a while back, more out of curiosity than anything. It was clearly not ready for prime time. These latest offerings from Apple and others will no doubt be an improvement.

However, by the time the smart watch is fully developed, something else will be along to displace and banish it to the tech dustbin.

On the other hand (left wrist actually), my lovely and incredibly engineered mechanical watches will no doubt be around decades to come. ::psy::

7. Tritium Jul 13, 2014

If it was launched 2 years ago, before I became a WIS, the answer would be YES I'LL BUY.
    Now, I'm not sure... Will have to see first how it looks, and the features. But maybe, why not?

8. ashleysteadman Jul 14, 2014

I love gadgets (I work in IT) but I just can't see myself wearing anything but a mechanical watch.

9. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 14, 2014

YES!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

I think its going to depend where it hits in the market. They've poached some guys from TAG Heuer to work on it, which is promising. If its like the absolute crap Samsung, Microsoft and others are making with ordinary battery life and too much dependency on other devices it'll be a lemon.

On the other hand if they have Swiss quality casework, and I mean sharp edges, brushes and polished surfaces precision polished rather than something that looks like its been cast in a mould and flopped out it could have potential. It'll definitely be sapphire, which is a positive. If they really thought out of the box on the battery issue and did something like the Omegamatic or Seiko Kinetic system generating electrical energy from wrist motion or even more significantly the ability to hand-wound it to charge it up, it starts becoming more and more interesting. Energy efficiency may not yet be at the stage where you can run it perpetually off wrist motion but that would be an admirable aim.

Smart charging methods would also be a big plus, one of the most brilliant ideas is actually the key in my BMW E46 330ci, rather than having a traditional battery if has a small rechargeable cell in the key fob, which is recharged by induction by the car while the key is in the ignition such that it never runs flat and you don't KNOW that you're charging it.

Something along those lines will be the difference between Apple's product and the rest of the junk people are making, they're going to be approaching if from the perspective of what can 2014 technology do that wasn't possible in the past to make this special, not just trying to make a new accessory.

Modest_Proposal and JimInOz like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 14, 2014

Well said :thumbsup:

I hope that's what their R&D team have been thinking for the last year or so :coffee:

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

There's some talk that the iWatch could be a premium only product in the $800-3k range, if they did that it could be awesome. You can't make a premium smartwatch under that bracket imo.

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 14, 2014

If it was charged by wrist motion, I think that quite a lot of Apple's customer demographic would be over-charging them. ;)

dsio likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

Says flat-plane crank boy :p

Stewart H likes this.
  15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 14, 2014

At least somebody knows what that is. :thumbsup:

16. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 14, 2014

Its bad enough i wear an outdated piece of technology on my wrist, i do this for purely aesthetic reasons. Im not swapping for cutting edge 2014 technology at all, it will be bloody ugly.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 14, 2014

5 no's ; 2 strong yes' ; 2 may be's
    Hmmm not bad for Apple sales prospect........

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

That's fine, so long as the battery will hold a charge. They all go bad eventually. Hopefully not when you really need to start your car. It's enough to deal with a dead ignition battery...now this too?

I remember thinking that the Seiko Kinetic was a great leap forward. A quartz watch with a rotor to generate electricity to charge the battery, what a great idea. Once I found out that the capacitors needed to be changed every 3 to 5 years at a cost far greater than a standard battery, then it was, "what's the point?"

I can't see the iWatch or a Google version making it in the marketplace long-term unless it becomes essentially a replacement for a smartphone. Maybe in conjunction with the Google glasses that I've heard so much about that aren't available yet. In that case, we might as well go back to Dick Tracy's day:

[​IMG]

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dick-tracy-wrist-tv-1967-unsold-pilot-73312/

Over and out.
    gatorcpa

P.S. - I'm still waiting for the flying car that they promised me as a kid.

19. Waynepjr Jul 14, 2014

Will it replace my phone and do all that my phone does for me like take images of my watches without having to link to another devices to do all this? No. Then, No.

Wayne

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

The key fobs for the 3 series were made back in 2000 and its now nearly 15 years old and still all 3 going strong, I'm sure with Apple's manufacturing clout they'd be able to figure out how to make something along those lines work.