Forums Latest Members

White Shadow - early quartz with a Calibre 74

1. Carlton-Browne Dec 19, 2014

I took a gamble on this one on Ebay last month and I think it's sort of paid off. Listed as not working and with an unfortunate blemish on the dial, the auction topped out at $36.01 (I was hit with a modest customs bill so this wasn't the total cost). The original seller's photos completely missed the shimmer of the blue dial and, mercifully, the mark at 6 is not really noticeable to the naked eye as the glimmer of light off the batons is far more obvious. It went off to a chap on TZ-UK called keitht (otherwise known as the patron saint of lost early electrical causes) and the reason for it not working was the fact that the battery had been inserted the wrong way around and one end of the battery strap needed insulating. Keith has a theory that the combination of these two factors caused a short circuit and thus the mark on the dial - very lucky that it didn't fry the electronics as I'm not going to find too many loose spare movements.

The Calibre 74 is a bit of a mystery as well. Released in 1975 as the world's thinnest quartz this makes this watch a fitting brother to my Genta-designed Golden Shadow which was the world's thinnest auto for such a long time. While it has a lot of resemblance to a Bulova 242 it is, apparently, not the same movement in the same way the the Unisonics used just a better decorated Bulova calibre. This site has the most information on the Cal. 74 - it didn't even get a mention in passing in the Pieter Doensen early quartz book.
    http://www.crazywatches.pl/universal-geneve-cal-74-white-shadow-quartz-1975

And some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's quite thin - I'll take a comparison shot with the Golden Shadow when I get the chance.
    [​IMG]
    When I've got some spare cash in the New Year I'll get a blue alligator made by Peter Watch Acc - I'm not too happy with the alligator-grain leather strap that it's on at the moment but it'll do for now.

I'm a happy bunny.

Edit: I suppose a movement shot might be in order.
    [​IMG]

Edited Dec 20, 2014
    Mark020 likes this.
  2. Carlton-Browne Apr 20, 2015

I've just had the blue alligator made by Peter Watch Acc.
    [​IMG]

Danwales likes this.
  3. Danwales Apr 11, 2024

Nice. I have just won a bid on one of these. Like you I'm taking a punt as listed as not working but the cosmetic conditioner looks good.

4. Carlton-Browne Apr 12, 2024

In any case there are, contrary to my earlier assertion, plenty of spare movements and potential donors out there. I was also able to locate a spare dial from Ebay since I posted this. The dowside is that batteries last a year if you are lucky.

There is someone on TZ (keitht) who is prepared (or was, at least) work on these which might save you a prayer to St Jude.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. Danwales Apr 12, 2024

Ah cheers. Do you know if Keith is UK based?

6. Carlton-Browne Apr 12, 2024

Yes he is - he's in the west country somewhere.

7. Carlton-Browne Apr 12, 2024

8. Danwales Apr 12, 2024

Thanks mate. I am hoping I won't require his services. I'll keep my fingers