Forums Latest Members

When the wife or your other significant one asks...

1. alam Feb 23, 2015

….. Did you buy another watch?

So I planned the delivery of my new acqusition to coincide with my day off after a week of work-related travel. Then and without any warning, the law of Murphy struck again--bad weather prevents the delivery of my new toy. Now things get more complicated as I must leave town again for another week on work travel. So I tell my wife I'm expecting a package that requires an adult signature…she pops the "question"…..I say naaaaa…. it was a trade. She says…hmmm which one did you trade. I say some old vintage G. Cleveland. End of conversation. :D

Now I have to wait til Friday to open the package… ::rant:

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 10.40.48 PM.png
  2. sohail Feb 23, 2015

How do u hide the watch boxes ? ......lol

3. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Feb 23, 2015

Ah yes, the trade gambit, a sleight I know well.

4. lillatroll Feb 23, 2015

I confessed to my wife after she caught me secretly on this forum. She demanded a full confession and if I held anything back or she thought I was holding something back then I would be in serious trouble. She asked me how long it had been going on and why I felt the need to hide it. After a few deep breaths I told her everything, why I loved watches, what I was hoping to learn and most importantly what I was going to buy.
    I told her almost everything, about the first one I bought, how I had used our wedding as an excuse to buy my second and how the third was really just a trip down memory lane. I told her I have about ten more watches that i would like to own and roughly how much each was going to cost. We agreed I could keep using the forum but I could only buy one watch per year unless a to good to pass opportunity came along.
    I didn't want to push my luck so I omitted the Palm D'or of my collection was going to be a seamaster bullhead and it would cost a few pretty pennies.
    After much soul searching and many tears on my part along with promises of exoctic holidays she relented and said we can get through this together.
    I love my wife she is very understanding.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 23, 2015

I once traded 1 for 7 and reported no cash outlay for the trade. According to me.
    Advantage of vintage. Mostly no boxes.

6. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Feb 23, 2015

Up to now I am supposed to be the lucky guy. Dispite of not beeing able to hide bank transactions ( my wife is working at my bank) she agreed with my expences on watches. That is easily explained: two seamasters and a unbelievable expensive handbag for her very own and a nice holiday.

The Most important reason why i might be able to go on is no sex, drugs and alcohol with other Girls

7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 24, 2015

Every watch I have bought have been the cause of a lengthy debate. Mostly she complains about not being told and not being a part of my little hobby but every time I show her a watch, I would like, she just says "No, you don't need another one". What's the point of sharing a hobby then?? :taunt:

Als 27 likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2015

No need for anything hidden, Watch she wanted more than anything, took months to find after weeks of her taking over my watch research time on the computer.

Now she hands me the phone when on ebay and shows me nice vintage watches i should buy.

(Lost a 1970s diver i bought of Matty01 as soon as i opened it the other day:thumbsdown:)

79585-16033f6311a5044bb1ebd1420f1610dd.jpg

Matty01 likes this.
  9. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2015

The advantage of working and living overseas for the last two years plus. Will have to bring them home soon though::confused2::

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 24, 2015

Maybe you should sell some before you head home. ;)

11. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2015

:eek: I think I will take my chances:rolleyes:

oddboy likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

my wife allows me to believe she believes I am the luckiest buyer in history that always finds things that are impossible to find again at prices that are just stupid....

...then for each watch that comes in there are about 6 pairs f shoes coming through the door in retaliation.

Als 27, Dre, Spacefruit and 7 others like this.
  13. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 24, 2015

way to think on your feet,
    just remember they can always tell when you
    are lying, how, I don't know, but they can.
    so get your watches delivered at the office
    =no questions

oddboy likes this.
  14. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 24, 2015

women are jealous of everything and anything that distracts
    attention from them. You're young, you will learn

Dre, Syrte, LouS and 2 others like this.
  15. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

My euphemistic brief sentence announcing a new acquitisition is, "I've been bad."

Spacefruit and Tritium like this.
  16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 24, 2015

Every time I open a new purchase I simply remind her how much my SM 300 is now worth and trust that she assumes that is how watch collecting goes.
    I know she is no fool so obviously payback will come some day soon :(

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

Plus I am sure the Lad knows who does his grocery shopping :cautious:

18. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 24, 2015

A woman can never have to many shoes.

A man can never have too many watches!

(Variation on a theme)

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 24, 2015

That's all very well until your secretary starts nagging you as she drops another package in your lap. Mine now adds, "Is that on the permitted list?"

I found the way around that today when a box arrived from an auction house. The lot was described as a Gucci watch blah, blah, blah, a Zenith watch and four other watches. The photo showed the Zenith to be a 40T chronometre, so £250 including premium was a good result - yes I know I already have one. Anyway, guess where the Gucci one is going to end up.

sohail likes this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

Some of the dealers should offer that as a service, throw a Michael Kors watch in with every Speedmaster Pro shipment and have that on the invoice.