Forums Latest Members

When does it end, or does it?

1. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 19, 2014

I find myself in an interesting position, I picked up my "grail" watch over the past few days, a simple Omega men's dress watch in solid gold. Which brings me to the point of "now what", I have the hardware I want, mostly American railway pieces, but its pretty much all there. I'd like to find a 940 and a 950 caliber Hamilton but I'm okay with my current stash. The collection totals about 25 pieces, not big by some standards, crazy by others, so the question is:

Is it possible to be "done"? to have a complete collection? to not want, or need, another........???

Some can never get enough and there are some (admittedly sick) people out there who are happy with just one and are still properly "watch" crazy.

This is a proper can of worms I know, so let the games begin!

You opinions please respected members........

P1000565.JPG

P1000299.JPG

JimInOz likes this.
  2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 19, 2014

It is an illness or addiction. We will always have a reason or justification to ourselves or others to have another. I think by nature we are all collectors and if it wasn't watches it would be something else, if we don't already collect something else.

I thought i had had completed my quest but alas I have now found another reason to expand.

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 19, 2014

that would explain the sixty cameras downstairs......

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Mafia-II-Dollar-Bill-Coffin.jpg

andyg, Fusion, Fritz and 1 other person like this.
  5. roach7 Oct 19, 2014

There's no end to this madness :D

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Kind of like the moon - waxes and wanes but always there.

pitpro likes this.
  7. bish789 Oct 19, 2014

My daughter put it into context yesterday, it's not the actual owning of the watch, it's the chase. That's why when we're lucky enough to get the one we want at that time, we then move on to the next, and go through all of the trawling and searching all over again.

Fusion likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 20, 2014

You know the rules dude.

Pics or it didn't happen. We don't even care if you use that old 1983 digital camera some of your previous shots were done with.

We just need PICS!!!!!!!!

PS: and you can say "shit" on this forum as long as it's in context and not just gratuitous fuck'n swearin'.

:D

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 20, 2014

Holy moly, I just received command discipline! My aSS hurts. Lol

i only have seller pics because I do not have the watch yet in my possession. I bet it's all jinxed now, thanks!! :-(

i stick to the newer, cheaper stuff. I can't afford that old crap. My plan is that one day, my crap will be old too.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Mothra likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 20, 2014

Nice UG :thumbsup:

And your rule is sound.

Buy a ten year old Invicta, and in ten years it's worth $25 if you're lucky.

By a collectible brand watch and in ten years you will smile when you remember what you paid for it.

And during your association with the watch, how much enjoyment will you get from looking at it, wearing it, fondling it.

Priceless.

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 20, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Big Jim: I've been trying to focus on picking off late 80's Lemania's. They're about to technically become "vintage" and let's face it: lemania may be the best chrono movements ever made. I don't know jack about this stuff but the late, great Chuck Maddox sure as heck did and he was a tremendous lemania booster. I posted a couple of pics with price stickers from '87 / '89 and 5g's USD was the ticket price for a UG (Tri) Compax. Could have bought (2) Rolex Subs with change leftover for dinner for (2) at Quilted Giraffe, or The Palm back then (with a nice '87 vintage Dom P.)

However, I think a lemania based UG Compax will blowthe doors off a late 80's Sub over the next 5 to 10 years and you can now go about 4:1 or even 5:1.

I'd love for LouS to chime in here, (((crosses fingers)))

12. Mothra Oct 20, 2014

That genuinely sounds like a brilliant strategy. Do you have any concern that UG admirers might be a particular aging demographic? That's the only possible flaw is can see in the plan...