Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2014

If you could sell a few watches you don't wear, even if it were for a loss, and pay off a chunk of debt, would you?

As a few of you have noticed, I've sold off a few that I wasn't wearing anymore. Mostly to pay for some upcoming wedding expenses and fund another hobby, yet it's gotten me thinking that I should move a few more to happy new homes. I'm thinking about how great it would be to lower my monthly costs by $500 or $600 plus if I want to buy a particular model again the thrill of a new hunt would be fun.

Let's make a discussion about it - what would be an important enough priority to sell a portion of your collection?

2. woodwkr2 Jul 15, 2014

What's the interest rate on your debt? Money's cheap, right now. If you can get a better, low risk return invested in watches or elsewhere, and your borrowing isn't excessive, why the rush to pay it back?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 15, 2014

Well, it would make other forum members happy!

Isn't that reason enough :D

4. JohnSteed Jul 15, 2014

Yes I would. No hesitation.

Money is relatively less costly than some other options out there since interest rates right now are really low....if your situation is just right. However, the refinance cost may, potentially, eat away at the savings....

As to the watches, you most likely have a sense as to what your'e willing to part with (even though they'll be gems). The hunt for replacement(s) at a later date will be invigorating because you'll have that much more experience. The hunt is part of the collecting mystery, for sure!!

Besides, I learn quite a bit from the watches you've sold on the forum. ;)

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 15, 2014

I would definitely trim the collection to pay off (or avoid) debt. Even easier decision if the money is going to fund a family need.

As I am more of an enthusiast than a collector though, it is probably somewhat less emotional for me to sell. I've always said they "get worn or get gone", but I do have a few that seem to stick around in spite of that maxim.

If you do decide to sell a few more, please follow this simple rule....

PM ME FIRST! PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP!:)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

I would only sell to my friends, then of course I would not worry about losing money :D

watchme, DanOmega, Tritium and 3 others like this.
  7. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2014

Mmmmm hmmmm. ;)

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Some selling is overdue - no driving force, just a bunch of stuff that doesn't see wrist. A pool of ready cash always sets the eyes a-roaming - it's a tonic.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

I've still got a few that haven't been out of the bank in over two years including my 1680 submariner which I should really move on as its a superb watch.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Right. Dibs. There are just some people you take at their word.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 15, 2014

Dennis, great post !

There are pieces that make perfect sense, that are wonderful examples of various ideas and ideals and represent the best of horological history.
    Rare pieces that you are proud to own and feel fulfilled in the satisfaction of your quests.

Then, there are the few that make your heart race, stir your manhood and reduce you to an obsessed blithering fool.

These are what we truly seek. These are worth trading your "satisfying" pieces for, even at a loss.

Forget Buzz Aldrin, forget DON bezels, forget gold Deluxes!

I am just starting to build, to accumulate, but I already know that I am destined for a small collection, a JLC or Omega tdmp, a Centenary, a U.S. Army 2179 WWII, a "Metropolis" era Art Deco, a porcelain WWI trench watch.
    Not the most rare or the most valuable, Richard Mille can keep his works of "art".

I started a year and a half ago with one collectable, now I have more than a dozen, will probably get to 25-50, and then, would like nothing better than to start whittling down to a few, a few that I gaze at every night, a few that might make me dream.

Dennis, what do you fall asleep at night thinking of?

1. Windy
    2. Your snowblower
    3. ?

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Ha if you're serious I'll send some pics, only trouble is Rolex's are tricky to get into the US ;)

13. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2014

Let the game begin!

I invoke my right against self incrimination Senator. :D

However, I will say if Windy wasn't in the picture, a weekend getaway with Vanessa Marcil or Jessica Alba would be my first answer.

That's the furthest thing from my mind. As an aging and increasingly expanding & lazy man, I consider that a necessity, not a luxury.

1) A temperature and humidity controlled wine cellar that holds 150 or more bottles. What can I say? Buy the good stuff while it's young and still cheap instead of paying through the nose to purchase it 15 years from now.

2) A couple of new cars in the driveway, sans monthly payments.

3) A shore condo with a private marina to dock my 28 foot Henriques.

4) The money to pay for all that stuff. :p

Nitzbar and panamavin like this.
  14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 15, 2014

You've got a VC that should be somewhere on that list.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Not sure that it's ever a good idea to go into debt for the purchase of what are luxuries, not necessities. The extra cost of that debt adds up over time and becomes a heavy burden. First things first, secure reasonable food, clothing and shelter. Sounds like you have that covered.

Paying for the wedding is indeed important. Any debt you incur there is likely to be on credit cards, which is the most expensive debt around.

Certainly you should be able to cull the collections into those few you regularly wear, others that would be impossible to replace and the rest which can be replaced if you decided to sell. The third class should go on the sales board sooner rather than later, the second group should be ranked in importance to you. The results from the third group and the immediate financial needs will guide you as to which of these need to go.

After you've paid all the bills, lowered the monthly nut and drank most of the wine, it will be "time" to rebuild.
    gatorcpa

Hotwheelbill, epl108 and Darlinboy like this.
  16. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2014

List of what I dream about? I don't need to dream about it - I've owned it 5 years and I can just open the winder lid to look at it. :p

If you meant list of watches I should sell, you're barking up the wrong tree mate!

There you go, being all logical in an insane hobby. Once you retire that accountant gene should be deactivated. ;)

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Someone needs to be the grown-up sometimes. Believe me, there are times I'd like to turn it off now. But as you say, it's a gene and hereditary.

That's what trips to Vegas are for...
    gatorcpa

18. Watcho Jul 16, 2014

nothing like the good feeling of not owing any money. even though you might lose some good watches. but atleast you get to enjoy the ones you have left, stress free ::psy::. in my humble opinion.

Rangerchrono likes this.
  19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 16, 2014

it's 100% your fault that I blew my "budget" to smithereens this month / quarter. My wife and my accountant are pi$$ed ( actually, my CPA is a watch whore monger so I'm good there ). I think he'll help cover for me Hahahahaha.

I'm not one of these whipped guys (I own a nightclub for chris' sake but a woman will only put up with so much watch whoring.

Incoming, just from today (Wittnauer 188 came sweet!, huh?):

I've been waiting 3 months for the EP Gallet. It's a total grail watch.

much more watch pRon to follow...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2014

Can just eat baked beans for a month or two, that's what I do.

citizenrich likes this.