Forums Latest Members

What watch would you wear for a USA four corners Motorcycle ride?

1. Hotwheelbill Jul 19, 2014

I plan to do a four corners ride soon (2-3 years). Florida to Cal. to Wash. to Main. and back to Florida. with some side steps. Not any Iron Butt ride, just my own ride. I need a watch for this and would love to have a vintage Omega for this ride. I now have an Omega Speedmaster triple date, but I can not see the time as it is all one color to me. I would need a waterproof of course. I would think a black dial with Lumin hands or white dial with black hands? Also something not to under the $500 to $600 range as it is a long ride, weather, sweat for hours on end and day after after day. And it would be rubbing on my riding jacket the whole time. I ride with fun gear.
    So, what are your ideas for me to look for?

2. repoman Jul 20, 2014

I don't typically wear a watch when I ride because I use full gauntlet style gloves, but.... I'm not one to recommend wearing a Speedy, or a Rolex, or whatever other nice watch you may have in your collection. For the reasons you stated, its harsh environment for a watch, and strap. I'd probably opt for a Hamilton if I wanted a mechanical (fairly thin for a mechanical, and I find them easy to read), or I'd go pure function over form and do a Swiss Army type quartz that you could beat to crap and not feel bad about.

I've done 5 Saddlesores (1000mi in 24 hour or less) which is about the limit of my tolerance, done a couple 9 day 3000mi rides all through the western US. A four corners will be awesome. Please make a thread and report in, with pics, if you do it.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 20, 2014

Find Lumi-nox the best for visability at night and are a great beater. Wear one bush and fishing and find them light on the wrist.

4. Hotwheelbill Jul 20, 2014

Not "IF" but "WHEN", :)
    I have done a couple of SS1000 but just not recorded. More out of necessity. Yes, thin, I did not think of that part of the factor. I will be on my ST1300A that has a clock. I will have my smart phone in a holder on the bike. But I would like a watch to for the off bike walk arounds and just to look back and say, "and this is the watch I wore."
    I am thinking an Omega that fits the listed requirements but not a perfect example, then have it sent off for service after the ride.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 20, 2014

30t2 in a water resistant case (one of those military type ones that sold to the US army and RCAF so well)

I've worn vintage and modern mechanical watches for 30+ years on some pretty brutal paint shakers (more seriously old military equipment) and through every kind of weather and I've never had an issue. I would have no problems subjecting my Constellation to such a ride (it does say waterproof on the back)

If its not water resistant or if the heavens really open up, stick it in a baggy and pocket it till after the storm lets up.

OR! use this as an excuse to buy a new Seamaster.

If it can't take it, why bother having it?

dnepr0002.jpg

JimInOz likes this.
  6. Hotwheelbill Jul 20, 2014

Thanks Fritz. I like the idea of an old 30t2. Not looking to buy a new Omega as I would much rather spend the money on a 1964 Speedmaster.
    Open for recommendations if anyone finds one.(30t2)
    I did not know that 30t2 came in a waterproof case.

edit: as I look around on ebay, I think a dial with the full 1 thru 12 numbers would be good too.

7. KCScott Jul 20, 2014

I bought a Victorinox Night Vision new on eBay for about $250. I actually bought a used one for my 17 yr old son, discovered it was actually quite useful on bike trips and then bought myself one. It seems like a silly gimmick but the light is quite useful at times. The lume is bright, the light to illuminate the dial is bright enought that it refreshes the lume. It's also built to take a beating. Truly a tool.

[​IMG]

McKinley likes this.
  8. KCScott Jul 20, 2014

9. Hotwheelbill Jul 20, 2014

Looks like a very useful watch. Not Vintage Omega, but worth keeping in mind.

10. KCScott Jul 20, 2014

True, I'm fairly new to vintage watch collecting. The thought of subjecting my new old jewels to the harsh condition you will likely encounter on such a journey would be a concern to me during the trip. I'd rather just enjoy the ride. I'm jealous of your trip. What will you be riding?

11. pascs Jul 20, 2014

I know not Omegas but what about some of the Seiko divers?

I have a few of the Seiko monsters, 6309-7040, 6105's and a few other modified Seiko divers. Also a Dagaz Typhoon which is a homage to the Seiko 6105 but would be totally at home on a long bike ride

The monsters arent vintage but a 6105 would be but these have become a bit expensive and would need a service to get reliability and water resistance. Watches with character ;)

Modified Monster
    [​IMG]

Dagaz Typhoon
    [​IMG]

Seiko 6105
    [​IMG]

citizenrich and Fritz like this.
  12. Hotwheelbill Jul 20, 2014

I will be riding my 2004 Honda ST1300A. I run a Goodyear car tire on the rear and a Motorcycle rear tire on the front. I will not have to worry about tires for the whole trip.
    I like the older Seiko 009 pepsi look, but too big I think for me on this trip.

13. KCScott Jul 20, 2014

I've got a BMW R1150RT. I looked at the ST's when I purchased it. Really fine bike and smooth as silk. How does it corner with the car tire?

14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 21, 2014

For something a bit different, what about an X33 gen2? Easier to read the time at a glance, without lifting your hand from the bars:

Not completely waterproof, but I'm sure rain + sweat is fine :)
    [​IMG]

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. Hotwheelbill Jul 21, 2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would never say it handles as well as a MT, but it has as much (and I think more) traction. 13000 miles on rear and good for 8000 more. MT rear tire on front is turned backwards do to rotation forces. I first tried with a MT front tire and it did not match as well as with the larger MT rear on front.

16. Hotwheelbill Jul 21, 2014

I do like that, but while on the bike, it would be under my riding jacket and gloves. Not looking for a watch I can see on the bike as much as a watch to use off of the bike. Look good while site seeing. And a good enough watch to be proud to wear after the trip to tell a story about.

17. Baco Noir Jul 21, 2014

I've also done a SS1000 ride and your four corners ride sounds like something I'd love to do in retirement. I don't see putting a vintage Omega through something like that though. I'd pick up a Seiko Monster as someone else suggested and put it on a zulu strap or if you have the money and want something lower profile, I'd suggest a lightweight Ti Breitling Aerospace. If you want to go Omega though, the vintage (or Watchco) SM300 comes to mind.

18. Watcho Jul 21, 2014

[​IMG]
    chopard grand prix. all the way.

Hotwheelbill and Rangerchrono like this.
  19. Siac Jul 24, 2014

!

Um.

!

Er.

!

Call me crazy, but, really? And you're worried about what watch to wear? :)

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 24, 2014

I'm a bit confused about the whole setup. As a rider for some 45 years, I've only once used a car tyre on the rear wheel (for the purpose of doing Saturday night burnouts in a dull country town in my youth).

Going home through the twisties, I found the handling to be highly compromised during radical direction shifts to the point that it scared me so much I discontinued the practice.

My last serious bike (BMW K100RT) came from a police used bike sale (had < 30K on it) and had a set of OEM sanctioned tyres. I found the traction to be superb and the handling to be faultless.

Bikes are beautiful animals and in good conditions and on benign surfaces can forgive a lot of rider indiscretion.

However........ when the shit hits the fan, you have to rely on every possible refinement that the OEM has made to provide you with a faithful trusty steed, and altering the dynamics can decrease the ability of the bike to perform as the OEM intended. Result, usually tears.

In addition, should you have a bingle (hopefully never) your insurance investigator may refuse cover if your policy requires disclosure of non-OEM equipment fitted to your bike (and you haven't mentioned the non-OEM tyre).

Sorry for rambling on a lot but I just wanted you to get another view from a crusty old biker with many a slide under his belt.

As to the watch!

You won't be wearing it on the bike, so pack it in a Tupperware container in your top box and only wear it as you perambulate around the sights.

The choice therefore will be the watch that you feel you would miss most while on the ride.

Safe Journey.

Cheers

Jim

STANDY likes this.