Forums Latest Members

What? Universal signed Benrus Sky Chief? Universal signed Martel movement??

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 15, 2014

aeroengineer likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Aug 15, 2014

Very interesting. Any reference number or caseback pics? Also a clearer movement pic would be helpful of the signed bridge.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 15, 2014

I have included a link to the original Ebay auction.

4. woodwkr2 Aug 15, 2014

Ebay pics reveal a caseback reference number of 22201, which corresponds to a Universal Compax of completely different case design.

Universal did make some military style cases with fluted bezels like the the Sky Chief, but these were found on early model Compur chronos.

5. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Aug 15, 2014

I havent really the expertise to tell if this is genuine or not, but the word Universal seems to have been added later than the rest as it is more bold and clear

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

Maybe, but the movement and case number and reference are legit Universal, and the dial is a well established Universal font, so I doubt it comes from Benrus. However that bezel is distincly Sky-Chief-ish. Most interesting.

7. woodwkr2 Aug 16, 2014

I suspect that the answer lies in a close inspection (watch-in-hand, loupe-on-eye) of the signed "Benrus" bridge. When the Peruvian fraudsters make their frankenwatches, they sand down the bridges and re-engrave (some even using a laser engraving based on the consistency and repeatability of their work). Problem is, they usually aren't skilled enough or are in too big a rush to really restore the proper texture and graining to the bridge following the sanding. The caseback engravings that these folks put out have gotten very convincing, but I don't think that's at issue here given that the reference numbers and case all check out.

The "Universal" applique at 6 O'Clock is of poorer quality than the rest of the dial. Perhaps you have a bezel-less compax and a spare Sky Chief bezel that happens to match up? From the pictures, I don't think we'll know. But I think the smoking gun, if one exists, would be in the bridge engravings.

8. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Aug 16, 2014

9. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 16, 2014

I have never seen this plain "Sky Chief" font used
    on any other Sky Chief. Although the word Benrus above it
    has variation. But "Sky Chief" always has the distinctive "k" and "f"

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

Mostly because no one has seen one before and it is not documented in UG's records.

'strue. It's the Benrus marking that is problematic here, not the "Universal." Everything is proper UG but for the bezel and the Benrus market.

11. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 16, 2014

and the import code....
    AXZ:
    Alden, Benrus, Langendorf

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

Excellent spot. I think I'm leaning towards Modest Proposal's "too odd to be a total fake."

13. aap Jul 12, 2016

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Diabolik Jul 12, 2016

fake seems a little "far fetched". It would have been easier to just buy a UG rather than spending a lot of time making a benrus look like a UG. The movement is clearly labelled and a UG caliber and the caseback would have taken a lot of skill to do, seems to have an import mark, I agree, the dial could be better but we are talking about the war years ...

I will go for a rare original benrus made by UG

aap likes this.
  15. Dre Jul 12, 2016

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 13, 2016

I don't think so... If it was a redial, then why does it perfectly match the OP's picture but is not the same watch. I'm also not calling a redial.. since I am pretty sure the 4 minute hashes would have been removed if redialed.

The Japanese site under translation is saying that Universal was a US only sub brand in the late 30's for Benrus. Which is what I was leaning to in the intial read of this post, that it was a super early Sky Chief and Benrus used Universal as a descriptor of some kind. They are asking $2,500 for it.

Edited Jul 13, 2016
  17. Dre Jul 13, 2016

How is that 'perfectly match'?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 13, 2016

How are they not the same watch variant? I never said they are the actual same watch.

There is no way that these 2 have the exact same redial, and whoever redialed it would do a bunch of odd things to it. I really think these are 2 examples of a really early Sky Chief. No one in their right mind would have copied over the 4 minute hashmarks on the chrono minute if they redialed it and put Universal on it to make it look more expensive.

19. Dre Jul 13, 2016

Yes I understand that they're definitely different dial. Only the second one is re-dial. Look closely on the thickness of the paint, fonts and numbers are messy. Number 6 on the left subdial would be easiest to tell for you?

ELV web likes this.
  20. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 13, 2016

Second one is a bad redial. Several telltales. Hour counter sub register appears slightly off centre. The thickness of the 5 min markers are inconsistent. Universal font is bad. And it goes on....

The first one I am more uncertain about.
    I have seen that certain strange combinations have occurred in the past.
    I speculate in this being related to local representatives bidding for military/public contracts and wanting to strengthen local brand awareness? Or something in that line......
    They could have been entering contract negotiations using a Benrus model that failed to meet spec, and then obtained a UG version that would?
    Pure speculation but there have been stranger things happening.
    ;)

pitpro, aap and ELV web like this.