Forums Latest Members

What is this watch? And how (the heck) do I change the minutes?

1. ship69 Aug 31, 2014

Hello

What is this model? And how do I change the time?

Background:
    I have just inherited this Omega Seamaster Quartz watch, it has 1332 written on the back. I don't suppose it's worth much as it's pretty scratched. But how do I change the minutes?
    If I pull the 'winder' thing out and turn it, the hours *jump* move forwards or backwards by 1 hour at a time.
    If I jam a pin into the sunken hole thing, the second hands stop for as long as pressure is being applied.
    Many thanks

John

P.S. Other questions:
    - What is the exact model of this watch - as I am trying to find the instructions for it.
    - Roughly what it might be worth? (I am assuming that it is only made of gold plate, yes?)
    - What would it cost to remove the scratches from the glass face/replace the glass?
    - Would it be possible to replace the winder thing at the side as it looks slightly damaed

delme_watch01.jpg delme_watch02.jpg delme_watch03.gif
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 31, 2014

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 31, 2014

Experts will be along soon no more pins or jamming (unless on toast) until you get a answer

Will clean up nice with a new glass ($50 ball park price) and a clean. Not worth a heap of $ as its a quartz but still nice.

4. ship69 Aug 31, 2014

Thanks - yes I eventually found that same thread!
    http://www.old-omegas.com/1337en.html
    What an insanely difficult way to change the minute hand. Hold in for 5 seconds then (even though there is no indication that 5 seconds are up) jam in again and keep held in, and the second hand flies around gradually dragging the minute hand around after it. What is slightly boring is that there is no way to go backwards. Anyhow the time is now finally reset. Out of interest, any idea how old the watch is?

5. ship69 Sep 1, 2014

I tired that link but (in Opera browser) the pages disappears taking me to http://m.omegawatches.com/planet-omega (even though I am using a PC, not a mobile device)
    I tried again using Chrome but I cant see where to enter the text to search.

Out of desperation I tried the very top of the page and entered 1332
    http://www.omegawatches.com/search?q=1332&p=1
    But the result is
    No result for "1332"

What a terrible usability. How do I find out if the watch is gold or gold plate or what?

6. John R Smith Sep 1, 2014

The Omega database seems to be out to lunch at the moment :(

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2014

8. ship69 Sep 1, 2014

Close - except that the body of the watch is gold nor silver coloured, obviously. How would I find out for sure whether it's gold or gold plate?
    Assuming plate - any idea what would have cost when new?

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 1, 2014

Its gold plate.

One can clearly see severe wear to the back edges of the lugs, typical of a plated case.

Also gold cased watches have gold backs not steel.

10. Hexicon Sep 1, 2014

Glad you started this thread. Picked this up a while back. But a non runner :(

Dont know if it will cost a lot to get it going again ... Or if its busted

OMEAGA QUARTZ.JPG
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

Generally speaking I would keep a distance from any non-running vintage quartz, if it's a mechanical omega from the 50s or 60s that isn't corroded internally it's usually just time and some parts to salvage, with Quartz you can have rotten batteries, long discontinued parts and many watchmakers don't even want them on their bench (this extends to tuning forks)

Hexicon likes this.
  12. ship69 Sep 2, 2014

One more thing - my (quartz) watch does seem to be losing a second or so per day which is quite irritating (for purely psychological reasons, I don't mind it *gaining* time but losing is not good!). I've not had the watch long enough to know exactly how bad this is yet...

Is there anything a watchmaker can do to speed up the timing mechanism *slightly* ?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2014

Yes, this movement has a trimmer so the timing can be adjusted.

Cheers, Al

14. Hexicon Sep 3, 2014

Well thats me Goosed !! ... Have a Hummer thats needs looking at also.