Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 26, 2015

My family purchased the old man an old Omega as a combination birthday and Xmas gift. Way better than Old Spice !!
    Also: they pulled the old "Russian Nesting Doll" trick on me. Clever! lol. They were very proud of themselves...

They won't tell me what they paid but were emphatic that they stayed below budget which was $200.

Is anyone here familiar with this particular watch? I've not seen one before - it's frankly pretty sharp looking. Feels and looks dressy and @ 34 and a fraction mm's it's a pretty good sized vintage watch. The dial looks original under a loupe but I don't have anything to compare it to.

So, without further ado, here it is:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Fritz and oddboy like this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 26, 2015

Looks like a Cal. 17.8 from 1939/40
    Seen a couple before in gold but the first I think in steel.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. mac_omega Jan 26, 2015

quite common to find this movement in round cases as it allows very thin watches due to the small height of this movement.

The dial on this example unfortunately is a bad re-do and the winding crown is a younger replacement - sorry don´t want to rain on the parade - but you have asked for details...

happy birthday - unfortunately I read the text after I had examined the pics...

citizenrich likes this.
  4. datniche27 Jan 26, 2015

Doesn't look bad IMO.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2015

Nice grab Rich ;)

And I'm sure that none of your other watches will give you the same feeling or get a little smile when you strap one of them on.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 26, 2015

Hi,
    Not sure, but it looks like a CK 2295, cal R17.8. See here in a 1943 Swiss catalog :
    [​IMG]
    I agree with MacOmega, dial is a re-do and crown a later model. I also think the hands may not be original.
    It costed 1420 CHF in 1943 :
    [​IMG]

And Happy Birthday!

citizenrich likes this.
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 27, 2015

Thank you one and all for the help! I figured it was a re-dial as I've not seen such a plain Jane Omega dial, ever. Some of these older re-dials look "original" if you've nothing to compare to. The crown is definitely a replacement; no doubt about that. I also think there was an engraving on the back which was polished off...you can see the "ghost" under magnification.

Otherwise, the case is in very good condition and she keeps good time so all things considered...maybe a correct dial will show up one day? There's always hope :)

Edited Jan 27, 2015
  8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 27, 2015

How did the Swiss procure so much quality steel and other raw materials during the war?

Is there a book or other reference material regarding this subject? I read French but no Swiss German. I believe it was Mark Twain who said - "life is too short to learn German.". Lmao.