Forums Latest Members
  1. RobPaterson99 Jun 23, 2015

I love Safari!

2. demollo Feb 25, 2016

I dont want to start a new thread. I just wanted to tell the guys who are behind the forum that I have never used quicker forum. It is amazing how fast it is. I sneaked around your code(i am a programmer) and it seems that you are using xenforo as an engine, right ?

To sum up - I am impressed :)

Trev and Privateday7 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2016

Honestly its not anywhere as good as it was, before the last rework it was actually twice as quick but due to some of Xenforo's issues we were forced to abandon the very heavily modified and optimised version of Xenforo we were running to install security updates, as a result of that our payload almost doubled compared to what it was a year or so ago.

We're actually working on a completely separate forum software (launching in ~35 days in beta form on another forum we own) which is more than an order of magnitude better than this, especially on mobile. Once its fully stable and validated in testing, OF4 will be migrated to that.

4. wsfarrell Feb 25, 2016

I hope the new software doesn't lose any of the current functionality. I've seen a dozen different forum packages, and this one is light years ahead of them all---the way it handles PMs, replies, bookmarking (remembering where I was in a thread from yesterday), photos, etc. Hard to beat.

5. demollo Feb 25, 2016

Can't wait to see the new forum in around 35 days then.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2016

You won't see it that soon, it's a site in Australia none of you are likely to visit, but probably 6-8 months after that it'll come here once we're fully happy with it.

Trust me, on launch we shall have bugs, but the existing solution the site has is so dangerously bad that at least our bugs are likely to be an improvement. By the time it comes to OF it should be a much more polished product.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2016

incidentally still a few users on very old and crummy versions of Internet Explorer, for your own security you really do need to upgrade, its flat out dangerous running old unsupported browsers on the internet.

ahartfie likes this.
  8. Fernando Mar 12, 2016

Thanks for the advise

9. dx009 Mar 16, 2016

I've been using firefox for well over 5 years now and I've never thought of changing to something else.

10. Fernando Mar 16, 2016

Safari for me

Alex_TA likes this.
  11. wx_073 Mar 16, 2016

last 4 years keep going with safari...

12. ewand Aug 3, 2016

Edge on Windows 10 Anniversary Update - works like a charm :)

13. Sgt_Bilko Nov 4, 2016

With reference to browsers and colour management mentioned earlier in this thread it's an area I know quite well, having written a book on the subject, so I can confirm that Firefox is currently the best browser for accurate colour and goes a step further than other browsers, but for best results on a wide gamut display colour management needs to be turned on in the about:config section, otherwise some images may appear overly saturated. NB Display calibration is essential for accurate colour.

I also do a bit of web work and designers are primarily concerned about websites looking good on Chrome these days, because of the dominant market share. Once upon a time they would do backflips making adjustments for IE, but not anymore...

All major browsers are much better now for standards compliance than they used to be. IE 6-9 are a lost cause on modern responsive websites though. Personally I like Safari for browsing and I can only reiterate what others have said about older versions of IE being unsafe at this point.

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. fnfz4 Nov 20, 2016

It depends on what you are going to do. If you want major Compatibility, explorer is still the best. but its slow.

15. kkt Dec 7, 2016

I don't love Safari, but I use it daily and hardly ever feel like hunting down the perpetrators and throwing them out a 4th floor window.

16. Wryfox Jul 5, 2017

To me, Chrome is the best all around, most reliable, and best add ons, Safari gives me trouble doing online business so can't use it at all, Firefox is faster by a long shot(40% faster on my system) but does have some odd problems from time to time so I just use Chrome. My wife uses Explorer, which is a disaster on a regular basis(honey, can you come help me....). Old habits die hard and she has it configured just the way she likes it. Oh I wish she would upgrade...::rant:

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2017

Browsers don't exist in a vacuum. Don't forget your system.
    Is your device up to date and fast?
    Is you OS on a solid state drive? More than ample memory? Maintained and up to date?

You need to have a holistic approach to function on the internet proficiently.

ahartfie and ras47 like this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2017

On occasion we've been tempted to detect and block WinXP users and direct them to a page telling them how important it is they upgrade and get off of it. It makes up 1.3% of our users and the only reason we didn't go through with it was that from memory @Archer and a couple of other frequent contributors were among them.

ahartfie likes this.
  19. ras47 Jul 5, 2017

Exactly! A balanced system is the right approach. I'm primarily a Mac user so Safari is my browser of choice. I had Windows on a Lenovo Yoga Pro and couldn't take it anymore. I wiped it clean and installed Fedora Linux, with which I use FireFox as my browser.

On Macs I've used everything under the sun, from IE and Netscape Navigator, through iCab, Opera, and Chrome. As a second browser on my MacBook Air I use FireFox.

20. cyanb Sep 19, 2017

I switched from chrome to firefox. I find firefox faster, but ad-blocker recently stop working for me which is a bummer.