Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 4, 2014

IE6? somebody still using their windows xp ::confused2::

2. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Feb 4, 2014

We have a little over 1000 machines on our network and probably more than half are still running XP, even though we have the license to upgrade all of them to Win7. I've developed the internal employee portal and just ignore the old browsers. The users won't get upgraded until they start complaining en masse.

3. Mothra Feb 6, 2014

Just to add to mathlars post, I just got the wp8/Lumia black update and it has completely ruined the forum formatting. I'll use tapatalk, but really liked using the raw forum in the browser. Happy to help with troubleshooting if I can...

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 30, 2014

Although I'm somewhat disabled using computers (just stupid) I've learned to use Google Chrome to ost scans and not Firefox. I have not idea if this is of benefit to anyone?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

Chrome is a faster and far better maintained browser than Firefox these days, sadly even Internet Explorer is now ahead of Firefox. which is sad, its become the sick cat of web browsers.

6. Dogmann Sep 30, 2014

Hi all,

I really used to like Safari on my desk top computer but ever since I started using Chrome I haven't looked at any other browser it helps that I also use Chrome on my smartphone and all my bookmarks are kept in sync. Even managed to swap my mother over to Chrome just the other week as IE refused to open certain e-cards she was receiving and even she has remarked how much faster and smoother the new browser is.

Marc

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

On desktops Chrome is definitely king at the moment, followed closely by Safari (does some things more smoothly), IE11 is also pretty respectable... and then there's Firefox. Firefox isn't terrible, it does great on benchmarks, but not so much in real-world use. It also has some fairly annoying quirks for devs to work around.

There's Opera, and they're running the same engine as Chrome (Blink), though usually a release or so behind. Not much point.

With the release of iOS8, Chrome on iOS will now have access to the faster Nitro Javascript engine. You'll feel a slight difference as soon as Google updates :)

8. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Oct 1, 2014

Install a packet sniffer and watch the traffic your web browser generates that has nothing to do with what you're looking at or your browsing experience before making this decision. Follow the golden rule of the internet: do you pay for whatever product, information, or service you are using? If not, you are the product and someone has figured out a way to monetize you.

There are few to no exceptions. For example, you don't necessarily make a lot of money for each eyeball you forward to ebay, but there is money in it, and with enough of those eyeballs eventually making purchases, it can be a worthwhile endeavor.

9. bish789 Oct 1, 2014

I'm on Safari. Used to be on IE until I went to a Mac. Got used to Safari now, so won't change unless I have to. Got sick of Microsoft changing things. Unfortunately in some things I like consistency, and browsers and software in general is one of them.

10. TNTwatch Oct 13, 2014

Looks like no browser except Firefox has proper colour management, so for everything on the web that has colour images, I have to use Firefox. http://cameratico.com/guides/web-browser-color-management-guide/

This is what looks like in Firefox on my PC:
    firefox color.PNG

This is what looks like in Chrome as well as Opera:
    opera color.PNG
    But my PC is pretty fast so I don't feel any difference in performance between FF and Chome. What I'd prefer for now is OF would be more usable in a mobile browser.

Regards,

Tony

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

This is exactly why I'd never buy a wide-gamut display (again), and if I did, I'd need to be very confident it could run in SRGB-mode without looking terrible. I'd only use wide-gamut mode if I was heavy in to photography, otherwise I can't see any advantage, it only causes problems. Even then, there's no audience with wide-gamut displays to view photos edited in that color space. They'll all end up in SRGB.

The decent native SRGB panels look really good too, so I don't have any issue with being restricted to it, especially since that's what everyone builds websites and applications for. Anything beyond SRGB often isn't even accounted for, many designers are probably assigning incorrect color profiles to make the situation even worse. :)

12. TNTwatch Oct 14, 2014

I was actually using a standard sRGB monitor to write that post. The keyword is colour management as I am into photography and use a high quality colour calibration application that happens to expose weaknesses in various programs. FF is working properly with colours, but it does not work 100% with OF. I can deal with it when seating in front of the PC just to satisfy my colour desire, but when using a phone, it's quite inconvenient to enjoy OF.

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

Most images on ΩF should have their meta-data stripped out automatically, which is to prevent people from posting a photo of something like their watch collection with GPS coordinates attached. Any color profiles would also be removed in that step. Though, it's generally considered best practice for any web images to have profiles explicitly removed due to how poorly browsers handle them.

14. TNTwatch Oct 15, 2014

I actually agree and appreciate the measures implemented by OF. The problem has nothing to do with OF, but lies at the colour management ability of the browsers. I can't remember how many times Google have change their ways of handling colour profile in Chrome, even supported then removed their Duct-tape fix a few times.

With OF on mobile, is there a setting or option to hide or relocate the menu bar on the left side in order to increase reading space when used vertically?

Regards,

Tony

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

Not currently. ΩF is based upon a very heavily modified version of a forum platform called XenForo. We've well and truly hit a wall regarding limitations of this software, so we've been developing an in-house solution based on the most bleeding edge web tech. The user interface will be mostly familiar to everyone, but the technology powering it is like upgrading from a donkey-cart to a spaceship.

If all goes well, we'll start public testing in late December or early new-year. A fully native app for iOS would follow shortly after, perhaps even at the same time. We're only a team of 2-3 though, so it's a massive undertaking. We're in too deep now to ever turn back. Hopefully we'll start a thread soon to start sharing our progress and gathering input/feedback from members. :)

TNTwatch and Stewart H like this.
  16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 15, 2014

The time and effort that you guys put into this forum is truly amazing and I'm sure I can speak for all regular users in saying that it is appreciated beyond what can be said with just words. You add hugely to our enjoyment of this hobby and I hope that you can make a shed load of money out of selling your forum software.

As always - a massive "Thank you" to all involved.

TNTwatch likes this.
  17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 15, 2014

Just curious would your - heavily modified forum engine - could be used to build another forum easily?

18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

You're welcome Stewart. The main reason we do this is because we felt that our hobby and the people around it deserved something much better. Right now our plan is to build the best forum platform possible, without compromise.

It's likely not something we'd be selling directly to the public, that's a difficult market to deal with. If anything, it might end up as a hosted solution for a select few. We do believe that opportunities will arise once word spreads, but it's not really what we're focusing on. :)

Anyhow, that's all talk. We'll keep working hard so there's actually something real to show off for you guys. Right now I'd say we're around 50% complete considering our project goals.

19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

If you mean the one Omega Forums is running on now, then yeah, definitely. However, so far we've turned down any offers to sell it. It's still really good compared to other forum platforms, but it's not really up to date in terms of mobile device support and architecture.

20. TNTwatch Oct 15, 2014

Second what Stewart said. Superb work, Trev and team!