Forums Latest Members

Watches For Sale Not Showing Up Under LATEST Tab

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2014

Has the format changed recently?

For Sale listings are not showing up when I hit the LATEST tab.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 17, 2014

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2014

Yea we had a lot of complaints about the sheer volume of watches for sale coming up, there was another thread about this somewhere too, we reached a breaking point when one single seller bumped 23 of his FS listings in a row, so the entire top half of the "latest threads" were exclusively his FS listings.

We're going to be addressing this in a better way before too long but in the interim we had to remove them from the latest topic. The FS section still can be accessed the traditional way and also has a shortcut at the top of the forum index on the sub-nav bar, we also have very good SEO and they get indexed quickly by both google and Watchrecon.

But yea this is something we need to address in a better way, how to get an appropriate level of exposure for sellers without it becoming spam, which it really was approaching at times.

adam78 and citizenrich like this.
  4. JohnSteed Jun 17, 2014

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 17, 2014

I am much more interested by private sales than sales from people who sell even more than one a month.

lenny and JohnSteed like this.
  6. ulackfocus Jun 17, 2014

Some forums do separate "dealers" from "collectors". My issue is where to draw the line. There are guys like Norm, and to a slightly lesser extent me, who sell AND collect. I fall on the "collector" side but could easily be mistaken for a dealer when I'm selling off 3 or 4 in a month to fund another purchase.

7. JohnSteed Jun 17, 2014

Growth is great. But I hope OF remains largely a collector's haven rather than ....

Darlinboy and CanberraOmega like this.
  8. JohnSteed Jun 17, 2014

Dennis ... Norm ... [ there are a few more I'd include ] On here have a cult following. Are dependable. Have credibility and seem to have evolved. Man, I need to stop drinking on Tuesdays!!! But true nonetheless.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2014

We're not ignoring sellers, we need to do something better, and that's going to take some effort and programming time on our part, they're an important part of our whole community here, we just needed to prioritise the general discussion of watches which was starting to really get drowned out. I've actually got a Seamaster Pro I'm selling myself that it'd be handy to get more exposure for on the latest page but it was something that had to happen in the short term to maintain the quality of the site.

We are working on a better way to handle FS listings though, bear with us.

10. ulackfocus Jun 17, 2014

Why would you stop? ::confused2:: I have a glass of 2008 Huet Moelleux next to me right now!

I should clarify - there are no complaints on my end. Growing pains will happen, and we all know it's for the eventual betterment of the forum.

….. and "eventual" is short term in most cases with you guys. :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2014

Thanks, missed the earlier discussion.

12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 18, 2014

He must be the shy type?

Here in NYC (and, I'm sure it's like this the world over) the patrol guide for the NYPD devotes countless pages addressing the issue of "gratis" otherwise known as on the arm.

If there is a single bodega or coffee shop which gives free drinks or food to a uniformed police officer, that location is guaranteed to be out of business by the end of the next tour. Cops will literally line up around the block looking for free stuff and will take as much and as many items as they can carry or fit in the trunk of their RMP. They'll drive from Brooklyn to the Bronx. Same thing for bars which will comp a drink or two to off duty guys. I'm sure it's the same way the world over.

Cops are notorious for ruining a good thing. I hope I have not offended anyone here who works in law enforcement but if you do, you're probably laughing your ass off as you read this.

Bumping 23 for sale posts is obnoxious and ruining a good thing.

I'm only interested in the FOR SALE items of established members who are looking to thin out a collection or whatever.

Sellers: please control yourself. The guys who run this place created this forum as a reaction to all the BS that goes on with these sorts of watch forums.

Please don't turn this place into your personal whorehouse. It's only going to cause resentment.

Thank you!
    :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2014

Would it be possible to have an icon on the header like the Auctions Icon?

I know it's a bit crowded but it would enable us to hit the shop without too much clicking.

And then, like some other forumes, have threads for "SemiPro" sellers (e.g. the well respected Kringkily) and another at the same level for the occasional sellers like ulackfocus.

Just a thought, don't know if it would be implementable (I think I just made that word up).

PS:
    I enjoy cruising the For Sale area and have bought a great watch from there, and would like to do the same again, and possibly SELL some of my mediocre collection if the need arose.

rhetoric, JohnSteed and citizenrich like this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 25, 2014

I found out title on many sold item has not been changed into SOLD sign.
    I also miss the old days offerings, so others suggestion to separate between the amateur and semipro might be a good thing.

15. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2014

Ooo, that's a bad side effect - the mods aren't seeing the bumps when the seller posts that the watch is sold.

16. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2014

There are forums, you know, where only 3 listings per day per seller are allowed... :whistling:

gatorcpa, JohnSteed and CanberraOmega like this.
  17. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2014

Seriously, I have thought that FS ads have been approaching "spam" levels recently, by certain sellers who don't participate in the forums, per se. Can something be done about this?

18. Hijak Jun 26, 2014

Especially cf-ken

JohnSteed likes this.
  19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2014

If I'm not mistaken it was his mass bump postings that triggered all this in the first place.

20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 26, 2014

Perhaps the number of FS posts can be tied to the level of Forum participation?

As I believe is the case with most Forum members, I came here to share and learn. When I joined, the sales aspect was in its infancy and has been allowed to take on a life of its own which brings us to this point. As has been said by others, we're experiencing some growing pains but I'm sure the mods are working hard get through this to keep this the best watch Forum on the net. The quality of the members and their level of knowledge is amazing, coupled with their willingness to share is truly gratifying.

Let me also applaud the fact that this Forum is unfiltered, with no commercialization, allowing us to say what we feel, within the boundaries of good taste at least, without the fear of being edited or censored, not something which can be said for many other Forums.

So, thank you to the moderators, I'll be looking forward to the upcoming improvements.