Forums Latest Members

Watch Case Opener-- A Vintage Upgrade Arrived Today from Portugal

1. woodwkr2 Aug 20, 2014

There have been quite a few discussions about what kinds of tools to use for opening various types of watch cases. For the snap back case, there are the Seiko style tools, the Horotec Case Crab, the case knife, and even the taped-up razor blade. Personally, I've gotten quite good on the Horotec Case Crab. I use the bits hand-held for most things, and prefer the whole apparatus as the ultimate tool for cemented on snap backs.

I'm in NYC and lately have had the pleasure of a couple of meet ups with vintage collectors at a cafe/pub near me. The aesthetics of things were lovely. Great environs, good music, dim light solvable with a loupe, and my collection of the week stylishly transported in one of my waxed canvas rolls. Lovely, except when I'd have to fish around in my bag for the bit to my Horotec Case Crab in order to check out a movement.

After watching Signore Goldberger pop the back off his sweet Rolex Split Seconds chrono with a cheese knife, I decided that it was time to up my game. I wasn't sure just how I'd do that, though.

Some time passed and eventually I stumbled across a listing on the Bay for a folding vintage watchmaker's knife. I got in touch with the seller and got to brush up on my Portugeuese. Through our exchange I learned it's story. The knife was owned by Armando Vieira, a watchmaker in the one watchmaker town of Vermoim Maia, a town in Northern Portugal of about 15,000 outside of Porto and the Rio Douro. Senhor Vieira is a spritely 75 years old and though he will likely work until the day that he expires, he has decided to begin passing along some of his tools. The seller visited Senhor Vieira's shop frequently, each time asking for his assistance in opening a watch or pocket watch. On one of these visits, the watchmaker gifted him the knife so that it would continue being used long after he was gone. When he found himself using the knife very infrequently, he decided to post it for sale, and that's how I came to learn the story.

After a three week long journey via standard post, it arrived today. I can confirm that the broken tip and dulled blade, worn through many years opening watches, works quite well for its given task. The brass, steel, and horn construction is very sturdy. If only the knife could tell of the watches it has worked on.

It's just what I didn't know I was looking for.

[​IMG]

*Edited to correct the name of the town where Senhor Vieira lives.

rhetoric and citizenrich like this.
  2. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 20, 2014

pics or it didnt happen

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 20, 2014

Byron: just a heads up re: carrying around a pocket (folding knife) in nyc. You'll have zero issues as long as you keep it concealed. It's legal to conceal a folding knife. The NYS Penal Code is very specific (refer to CPW 265.xx) regarding folding knives. Basically, you can carry and possess one but you can't "show it" by means of an external clip or chain, etc. I know it seems counterintuitive (and, fcuking stupid) but that's the law. So, if a cop sees you bust out your folding knife in a Starbucks you can be issued a criminal violation summons which is a headache you don't want.

if you have any questions call or email me....

-Rich

4. woodwkr2 Aug 20, 2014

Of course... I always keep my weapons concealed. ;)
    Thanks for the heads up.

tpatta likes this.
  5. CdnWatchDoc Aug 20, 2014

Aww, I'm sure that's what you tell all the young women...;)

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. M.D. Aug 21, 2014

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Ok, watched the video....I know you said a cheese knife, but seriously, a cheese knife?!?!?!

Wow.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 21, 2014

I envy you for the times you'll pick up that simple but touchable tool, and spend a few moments thinking of who has held it, what it has seen, and then using it for the purpose it was probably not designed for, but accomplishes admirably.

This forum continues to produce little treasures like this :thumbsup:

8. JohnSteed Aug 21, 2014

+ 1