Forums Latest Members

* Wanted to let everyone know...

1. mementomori1983 Oct 7, 2014

Hope you have a speedy recovery, Al.

2. DanOmega Oct 8, 2014

Just take it easy Al. Get well soon. Best wishes bro.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 9, 2014

So next Tuesday I have my first session at cardiac rehab (now I can say "I'm going to rehab!"). I will be getting various tests and an exercise routine outlined I expect, and I have an appointment coming up sometime soon with a nutritionist.

Feeling pretty good, lots of new meds, taking it easy on the work side of things (just documentation and answering emails), and eating better.

Trying to resist the call of the work bench....

Cheers, Al

timeismoney likes this.
  4. M.D. Oct 9, 2014

Al,

Glad to hear you're doing well. Good luck with the rehab!

Regards,
    Michael

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 9, 2014

Although I do not know you, your most generous sharing of your vast knowledge is much admired.
    Obviously your watch making skills speaks for it self.
    My best wishes and prayers are offered. Be well soon, Miki

6. italy1861 Oct 9, 2014

Get well soon Al.. Hope the rehab goes quickly and easily for you..

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 9, 2014

May I recommend someone ?

images.jpg

The grilled chicken salad is delicious, you can always order it undressed!

Good luck, mate!

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 9, 2014

Wouldn't recommend three servings, may just prove a bit to strenuous ;)

9. ulackfocus Oct 9, 2014

I don't need all 3 - just the one on the right. Yeah, she can be our "domestic help". ;)

cicindela, Baco Noir and Georgieboy58 like this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 12, 2014

Putting you on rehab actually means the physicians got hope for you!;)
    All the best of luck, just remember not to over do it:
    rehab.jpg

11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 12, 2014

Its nice to hear you're up and around..... and gonig to rehab, say hello to Lindsey for us!

After all, we need someone to provide us with technical help and information who'll accept only abuse in payment.

12. yande Oct 12, 2014

That'd be an oxymoron, if ever...

With advice like that, your're going to need it.. No offense Uncle Buck... But me thinks that with all the talk about a nutritionist, and "eating better", that that American diet may have got Al to the place he is at in the first place, that is, closer to death than most of us have been. As for the girls, well.... each to their own...

Though I have to say, Australia has aped America in it's obesity stakes and our diet is now no better. It is right up there with the mighty USA, and our once healthy diet is diminishing more and more every day..

Anyone seen the doco "Fed Up?" You should! (and that is a word I use rarely...

Sad to say, during one of my latest trips to China, I agreed to meet a friend outside a McDonalds outlet. It was my brother who pointed out that he had never seen so many over weight Chinese, than those walking out of that McDonalds outlet. I then noticed it also. A ticking time bomb there...

Before Uncle Bucks post, I was going to ask Al, just where he thought he went wrong? Being such a great teacher in all fields and seemingly willing to discuss such matters, I thought this may be an interesting, and beneficial answer for all of us... To learn from one great member's experience...

I'm not a long term member here, and some may take this post as disrespectful, but I have been reading Al for many years, and I care for his health just as much as any of us here do.

UB., I like a laugh, and again, no disrespect was meant. The only thing better than learning from my own mistakes, is learning from someone else's.

Peace, Brown Rice and Broccoli!!!..

TNTwatch and Georgieboy58 like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2014

Where did I go wrong? Interesting question. Unfortunately you can't do much about genetics, so a family history of heart disease (both mother and father) certainly plays a part. Add to that the fact that I took a medication (for the last 28 years) to treat the arthritis I have that is not exactly heart friendly, and that is most certainly another factor. I see my rheumatologist on Tuesday to hopefully switch to something that has less of an impact on the heart.

I am sure my "Canadian" (not American thanks!) diet was not 100% healthy, so I was taking in more fat and sodium than I should be eating, but I am about 6 feet tall and have weighed about 164 pounds for the last 25 years - obesity is certainly not in play in my case. Yes my LDL was a bit high, and my HDL was a bit low, so I am on a medication to improve those numbers, but the doctors said the numbers were not all that bad.

My wife is Australian, and I have been there many times, so I am quite familiar with how at least some Australians eat. Let's just say it's a good thing I can't get snags here...and we don't have counter meals...no dim sims here, and I don't get fish and chips as much as a typical Australian would for example (I really only have it when we are in Australia). No meat pies, pasties, sausage rolls, etc. I actually ate very little in the way of fast food (maybe ate out once every 2 weeks) and generally speaking Canadians do not eat out nearly as much as Americans do. Polls show that most Canadians in my region eat out 2 times per week, so I am way below the average for the region of Canada that I am in. In contrast studies indicate that Americans eat out over 4 times per week on average.

One of the challenges is that I did eat pretty healthy to start with, so we are finding it challenging in some respects to make my diet even more healthy. My big weakness is snacking in the evening, and that was typically some potato chips...but looking through the pantry the sodium numbers on pretty much any prepared food are quite high, so I am cutting out those things even though I didn't eat a lot of them to begin with.

So I am focused on diet changes because it is something that I can do to improve my health. I think saying this is a diet problem though is quite simplistic. I plan to spend less time at my bench (no more working 7 days a week) and to get more exercise as well. Less work, and less stress, more exercise, plus diet changes - these are the things I can control.

Cheers, Al

lando, yande, Noisy Nova and 6 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2014

Wait..... are you saying potato chips don't count as a serving of vegetables? Uh oh. :unsure:

yande and Privateday7 like this.
  15. Mothra Oct 12, 2014

My son was telling me today he wants to be king when he grows up so he can, as his first royal act, make cheese a vegetable so it counts as salad. I didn't know where to start....

16. Pasbru Oct 12, 2014

Al, I saw this a bit late, but I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best!

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

Genes - non-modifiable and likely your biggest risk factor.
    Diet - not much to work on - don't forget to enjoy good food from time to time.
    Stress - probably where you can make the most impact - while research is lacking since it cannot be empirically measured, it is accepted as a risk factor.

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 12, 2014

Damn, I can't say anything these days!
    How is a grilled chicken salad with no dressing an oxymoron?

To one and all and especially Al, I can't tell you how much we wish you well and express what you mean to us here!
    I thought a little humo(u)r would do some good.
    If anyone saw my picture...........

Anyway, obviously posts can be taken differently, but this was meant as "All The Best, A Good Life Ahead, You're Still With Us, We'll Get Through This, A Little Joke To Cheer You Up!"

And before I get a response explaining the seriousness of all this........I GET IT !

watchme, yande, TNTwatch and 2 others like this.
  19. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2014

I like your son. He's got his priorities straight.

Mothra likes this.
  20. proximal Oct 12, 2014

Mothra likes this.