Forums Latest Members

Vintage Triple Date JLC, Unusual Black Dial, Thoughts?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 21, 2014

What are your thoughts on this one? Are the hands original? The dial seems to be. The guilloche on the subdial is certainly there, but hard to photograph.

I have supplied a picture of a second example I found online (third picture).

These seem to be an uncommon variant of the triple calendar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2014

I would be concerned about a frankenwatch. European Watch and Clock Company was a joint venture between JLC and Cartier, where JLC produced movements for timepieces branded as Cartier. This is better explained in the auction notes for this lot:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19628/lot/1243/

I don't think a movement branded "European Watch and Clock Company" would have a Jaeger-LeCoultre (or even a LeCoultre) dial. The import code of "EXU" is different than the general LeCoultre code of "VXN".

The dial could be original...to a different JLC triple-date watch. I can't say it is or it isn't for sure, but it doesn't give me the warn and fuzzies.

In fact, it makes me nervous. ::jumpy::
    gatorcpa

SpikiSpikester and JohnSteed like this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 21, 2014

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2014

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 22, 2014

I will take that advice; thank you guys!

6. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 22, 2014

Let us know the result.

7. woodwkr2 Aug 22, 2014

Interesting to put such big lume plots on a rather formal watch.

I like the look--very unique.

Please update us when you come to a conclusion.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2014

Without wanting to sound like Hoi, I think the minute hand looks too long. I couldn't see JLC missing a detail like that.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 23, 2014

I believe that it's a trick of the camera. I'm looking at it in the flesh and the minute hand traces perfectly up to the edge of the date circle.

10. opticalserenity Aug 23, 2014

I like it, but then it's difficult to find a JLC I don't like (maybe the one in the other thread.) I bet it could clean up really nicely, and perhaps a black alligator with red stitching strap would look killer.

11. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 4, 2014

Should it really say Fabrique en Suisse on the dial and SWISS at the bottom?

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2014

Yes, that's legit. Some original dials have that and some don't.

But this one still looks like it could be a redial.

13. karolinav May 11, 2015

Hi! The third photo you attached is my watch. Purchased from a vintage watch dealer in Hong Kong and serviced every 2 years by another company that specializes in vintage watched in Hong Kong. They advised that the dial and hands are all original and very rare. Your dial looks original, can't tell about the hands, but they seem to be original. Have to say I was looking everywhere for the black dial as they are so rare, the rarest one is black dial and rose gold, only a handful made. Next least produced was the black dial yellow gold, like my watch and your proposed watch. Did you end up buying? It is my favourite from all my watches!