Forums Latest Members
  1. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

I have no problem with the concept of selling the watch on this forum and I agree totally that everyone here has contributed with thoughtful comments, opinions and recommendations. Hope to post - later tonight - a few scans of the watch in use from 30 years ago :)

Davidt likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 13, 2014

Looking forward to the scans!

lenny likes this.
  3. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

Here are some scans from many years ago. Sorry the pictures are do not feature the watch, but who knew I would be looking for watch shots 30+ years later. Plus, I didn't take these photos :) They were taken by dive buddies, usually without flash. This first image is from 1982 at a place called Aquarena Springs, in San Marcos Texas. I was working on a story for Texas Highways Magazine about the underwater archeology dig at the bottom of this spring fed lake.

image.jpg
    Dash1, TNTwatch, Dogmann and 4 others like this.
  4. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

I notice I am wearing the blue isofrane band on this dive.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2014

That's actually pretty cool

6. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

Sorry, checking the date on the slide, that first photo was 1984, not 1982.

STANDY likes this.
  7. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

This photo was taken in 1979 with my dog Honey Bear. I was visiting my mom in Corpus Christi,Texas

image.jpg
    TNTwatch, Dogmann, sulaco and 3 others like this.
  8. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

Not a great picture, but was taken in 1984, again shot in Aquarena Springs. I am the diver on the right with the big watch :) I think this photo and the first picture posted was taken by Mike Murphy, photo editor of Texas Highways who was along for the dive. He was using one of my spare Nikonos cameras but with no flash. By the way, the diver behind me is cinematographer Ron Coley who has an underwater movie camera (and his fins) in his hands. For photographing this underwater archeological dig, we usually took our fins off so we would not kick up silt. Ron and I spent hundreds of hours with the underwater archeology project. His film, called the River of Innocence, won several awards.

image.jpg
    Dash1, TNTwatch, Dogmann and 4 others like this.
  9. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

I should mention that in the above photo, I was making an exposure adjustment on my Nikonos III camera with the 15mm wide angle on it.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

This next photo shows Steve Harrigan (left), writer, and me on the right in one of the underwater caves in Florida while working for Esquire Magazine in 1979. I think this is in a cave called Jinny Springs. For this photo I handed my camera and flash to Hal Watts who took this picture of us. The watch is hard to see but my left hand is on the backside of the rock (on the far right side of the photo) and you can see the watch face reflecting light from the flash. I know these scans are not great - I have a cheap slide scanner because I never scan slides - and these slides are pretty faded too. Steve and I did work for Esquire, Texas Monthly and other magazines. He is a great writer, I highly recommend his books to those of you that like to read well written novels.

image.jpg
  11. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

This is another photo of me (on the left) with underwater cinematographer Ron Coley. Ron is holding my Ocean-Eye 100, a very specialized underwater housing that fit the Nikon F camera with a motordrive. Between the Ocean Eye rig and the Nikonos cameras, it was not uncommon to have three or four underwater cameras with me. Ron would usually take 2 or three underwater film cameras with him along with a bank of underwater lights.This was taken in 1984 again at Aquarena Springs in San Marcos, Texas. The sun reflecting off the ploprof has a pretty good flare on the watch but the classic shape of the watch is visible.

image.jpg
  12. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

This is the last slide I have found so far with the watch in it, again not a great shot. This was taken in 1982. Don't know who took this photo. Sorry these scans are not that sharp, but underwater photography without a flash does not produce sharp slides because of the softening effect of water on underwater light. The "luminescence" glow around the highlights in the underwater scenes in these scans is the result of old, faded slides and a cheap scanner . One thing these slides have shown is that I did use the blue isofrane band when I was diving during this time. I know later I used an orange velcro strap and a blue one too I believe. I do not believe I ever dove with the metal bracelet.

image.jpg
    TNTwatch, Dogmann, sulaco and 5 others like this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 13, 2014

Spectacular.

Here I am, ridiculing the concept that some old shots that show half a blurred watch might increase the value, while at the same time I am fighting an overpowering desire to posses this watch a direct result of seeing those wonderfully evocative photos.

i love stuff like this. I also think that a PloProf might actually increase it's value by having a well worn case.

i am sure it's going to find a home here on the forum, probably with someone who already has several.......

(on this occasion not me.....I hunt speedmasters.)

again in a wonderful watch, fantastic provenance.

best of luck with the sale.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2014

That's just it really, nobody cares about pictures of a lawyer sitting behind his desk wearing a Datejust but if its a Ploprof that spent its life in the deep doing what it was designed for or a Speedmaster X-33 that actually flew combat missions its a bit of a different story. Vintage tool watches that have spent their life doing what they're meant to is a cool thing we don't see that often in today's desk diving era.

ocgarza, Dogmann and citizenrich like this.
  15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 13, 2014

You have had some adventures! No doubt about it, the Ploprof was along for the ride. :thumbsup:

Someone is going to want this watch. Badly.

Dogmann and citizenrich like this.
  16. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

I guess I did consider it a "tool" watch in that for some of the deep dives I did, the watch was a critical piece of safety gear. I wish I had thought to get a picture or two of it during dark, deep dives, or taking pictures of underwater welding for the Oceaneering Corporation, or deep off the 90 mile rigs off the Texas coast, but all I knew back then was that it never stopped ticking while joining me around the world on dives and other photographic adventures.
    Searching through old slides reminded me that I should have at least a few more photos of the watch in use. I will keep an eye out for other photos and will be back soon for the sale.

Dogmann and citizenrich like this.
  17. ocgarza Sep 13, 2014

Diving, at least diving back in those days, was always an adventure! But doing all the photography was a lot of work too. It is good to know this reliable watch will have a happy home soon.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 13, 2014

Gave you a like for each picture you put up. Great stuff and thanks for sharing your personal pic,s with us.
    Really gives a perspective of who bought these and strapped them on their wrist in the past.

:thumbsup:

ocgarza, citizenrich and Mods like this.
  19. Mothra Sep 14, 2014

Oc, I'm not in the market for a Proplof, but as an experienced diver, I've really enjoyed the story and the photos. If I did want one, yours would be the one that I want. You are clearly a cool guy with a fascinating history. Thanks for sharing...

ocgarza likes this.
  20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 14, 2014

Those are great. You have clearly led a life that most can only ever dream of living and I'm sure that looking through all of those photos has bought back many happy memories.

ocgarza likes this.