Forums Latest Members
  1. primabaleron Nov 10, 2014

Hi,

I have a Longines watch.

Apparently from new in Poland. Can anyone help me in evaluating the authenticity?
    In my opinion crown and caseback are not original. And the rest?

Best regards

4787365732_1.jpg 4787365732.jpg 4787365732_5.jpg Obraz 053.jpg
    orchidmansion likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 10, 2014

This looks like a converted pocketwatch caliber. Whether this was done last week, last year or 70 years ago, that, I don't know.

Whole case looks a bit modern for the rest of the watch. I suspect that the dial, hands and movement might very well go together.
    gatorcpa

3. orchidmansion Nov 11, 2014

Not too sure about the level of authenticity, but don't let the caliber and size scare you off.
    If I'm not mistaken, many of the eastern European nations had these large sized Longines calibers as their military watches (pilots perhaps!)

Two examples I found on the net:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wruw-december-2011-a-615844-7.html (belonging to Longines expert of the handle "Britishshorthair")
    http://en.bellesmontres.com/antiquorum/longines-1642285_1288.php

The bezel and lugs seem to be made of some base metal on yours, wear is evident.
    Lovely hands on your watch nonetheless!
    Send the case back and movement numbers to Longines Heritage for a full backstory and enjoyment of this historical piece you have on your hands!

p.s. I might add that it has the lovely handset of the much coveted Longines WWW ! Military origins? Who's to say...

Edited Nov 11, 2014
  4. minutenrohr Nov 11, 2014

...usually Longines-cases are signed or at least numbered (case=movement), as told on the "bellesmontres"-site: "Dial, case and movement signed". The case Style don´t matches to other 30ties Longines (see Goldberger). And Poland is (as same as Ukraine etc.) a region housing very creative craftsmen. i wouldn´t pay much (especially as much as 30.000 CHF) for this doubtable-cased watch: less tha 700 USD.

rgds - h.u.

5. primabaleron Nov 16, 2014

Thanks Guys :)
    I wrote to the Longines. We wait what they will respond...

6. primabaleron Nov 19, 2014

I got the answer from Longines:

We thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Longines watches.

Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers.

The original serial number 4'722'761 identifies a wristwatch in metal. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 17.26. It was invoiced on 05.09.1936 to the company Zipper, which was at that time our agent for Poland.

For your information, your watch does not have any specific model name.

We trust that we have responded satisfactorily to your request and remain at your entire disposal for any additional information.

Best regards,

I wanted to thank you for the kind words about Polish craftsmen, but this was at a time when the watch manufactory (including Longines) got rid of the old warehouses movements of the pocket watches and packaged the them in different configurations wristwatches. So everything could happen ...

7. minutenrohr Nov 19, 2014

8. primabaleron Nov 19, 2014

Yes.
    We are talking about: Search for a needle in a haystack :)
    I'm looking for more ...

9. minutenrohr Nov 19, 2014

...but that´s the NEXT needle in the haystack. The number is only one higher - it´s like a brother (or sister)

primabaleron and orchidmansion like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

Well, we answered any questions about the dial and hands...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

primabaleron likes this.
  11. alvaropinto Nov 19, 2014

In MHO there's no way the case to be by Longines. It does not have any mark/logo what so ever or number for that matter.
    Crown looks like a replacement as well. Nevertheless, a very nice vintage.
    Gatorcpa, love the "specimen" you just posted.
    Can you provide pics of the inside?
    Cheers!

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

It's from the link provided by minutenrohr above. There are several other pictures there.

Just wanted to show that dial and hands were original as I expected.
    gatorcpa

13. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Nov 19, 2014

I regret passing on one of these a few years ago with similarly incorrect case.They are really fine looking ,big watches that have become quite collectible.

14. primabaleron Nov 27, 2014

I stripped the watch and the case actually there is nowhere any markings. According watchmaker case comes from the fifties,

Yeah .... I send her hands to James and I will be glad Longines as he is :)

15. primabaleron Dec 11, 2014

Today's picture

2014-12-11 21.40.03.jpg

LarryG, barmy and orchidmansion like this.