Forums Latest Members

FS Vintage, Genuine Omega Crystal Inserting / Removing Set of 7 Tools #2

1. woodwkr2 Mar 31, 2014

Omega Case Tools 10.jpg
    Okay guys, I've got something special for you... vintage, genuine Omega watchmaking tools only rarely come up for sale, and when they do, it's usually from parted out sets.

In the red, Omega boxes, you have a partial set of the Omega Unicoc Crystal Inserting and Removing tools. The box on the left has a sticker on it that says " Vigor Omega Unicoc Extractory Swiss RM-700."

These are the tools that watchmakers use to remove the compression fit Hesalite and acrylic crystals, particularly helpful on the old Sea Master unibody case designs where you can't gain access to the movement except by removing the crystals. You can certainly remove these and other vintage crystals safely using a generic tool, but if you're looking for that special something to add to your Omega collection, and you want to guarantee yourself the absolute safest way to change what can be quite expensive, signed Omega crystals (other than paying your watchmaker to do it, of course), this is what you need!

Once you have the existing crystal removed, you'll want to carefully measure the bezel (a micrometer is helpful, and there are tutorials on the web). Then you can source your own original Omega crystals from eBay and Ofrei, etc. When the replacement comes, you can use another set of tools, a crystal press to install the crystal (some of the plastic pieces in the pile at the bottom left are for your crystal press; others are bezel tools for the Constellation). If you don't have an expensive crystal press, I have gotten great results simply using the same tool to re-install the crystal. You'll want to set it on a flat surface and carefully tighten down the screw on the crystal tool. This compresses the crystal ever so slightly so that it can clear the bezel. You position the crystal in place (rotating it to position the floating Omega logo the correct way, if your a stickler), and loosen the screw on the tool. With the tension gone, the crystal pops back out to its normal dimensions and creates a secure, friction or compression fit. Before sapphire crystals, this is the same principal that was used even on waterproof diving watches.

So onto the set... This listing is for the set at the top left of the picture. The bottom half of the tray contains the sizes typically used on mens watches. So the missing tools are mostly the womens sizes.

This set includes:

101/2042
    102/2242
    103/2492
    104/2995
    105/3095
    106/3195
    107/3295

The first number is the Omega Part number. The second number corresponds to the diameter of its corresponding crystal. So the 107/3295 is for crystals that are 32.95mm.

The tools themselves have obviously been used, but are in good, working condition. The plastic is nice and sturdy. The screws tighten down well. These vintage tools were incredibly well made. Indeed, if you look closely at the boxes, they are just made of sturdy cardboard, but then it has been wrapped in red colored leather (goatskin maybe...? It kind of looks like the leather used in book binding) with the signed Omega logo in gold foil. Try finding a modern set of tools that's this nice!

The condition of the box for this listing (on the top left) is the worse of the two. Over the years it looks like the set was stored resting within the top of the lid. The foam that was on the top of the lid has disintegrated and gotten all over the bottom of the box. So the surface is kind of rough. This may clean off just fine, but I don't know. You may want to replace the foam in the top of the lid for aesthetic purposes.

These tools consistently sell individually on the Bay for between $50 and $75 for the mens sizes and around $25-50 for the womens sizes. I've seen the empty boxes sell for $30-40. I'm all about making money, but I'd really like to keep these sets together and so I'm offering them here, intact, first. Please scoop them up so I don't have to part them out!

The value of the set is in their versatility. You can buy individual sizes (check my other listings), but it's nice to know that you'll be able to handle your own crystal change no matter what you've got "incoming."

Price: $325 net to me for the top left set. Check or wire preferred (references available), though if Paypal is your thing, that's fine too. I'll ship it for free in the USA. International is great too, just contact me for a shipping quote.

Returns: I'd really like to say "no returns accepted" because I'd like to avoid someone ordering these, changing their crystal and then returning it. But we're all gentlemen around here, so if you get your tool(s) and they don't work for, I will accept returns if you contact me within 3 days of receiving it. You pay return shipping, and when I receive the item in the same condition, I'll offer you a full refund less my shipping costs and any fees incurred on my end. Please use your discretion here.
    Omega Case Tools 08.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 07.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 06.jpg

Omega Case Tools 24.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 25.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 13.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 11.jpg
    Omega Case Tools 14.jpg

GregH likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Jul 13, 2014

Weekend bump

3. woodwkr2 Aug 3, 2014

Accepting offers!
    This just went on the Bay with a list price of $150. Make me an offer here! Or get in touch because the second set (in nicer condition) is still available. Guys, you could sell off each tool in the box on eBay and double your money.

4. woodwkr2 Aug 3, 2014

5. woodwkr2 Mar 9, 2015

This set has sold. It's off to Japan. Thanks for the space, OF.