Forums Latest Members

Vintage Elgin Watch Possibly Unique Quick Set Date

1. Bogs2 May 21, 2012

I'm not quite sure where to post this so I hope it's okay that I made a new thread for this one. This is a vintage automatic Elgin watch with a quick set date feature. But instead of pulling the crown out, the crown needs to be pressed down and quite easily too. One can go through the dates with ease, with just a push of a button. I'm not quite sure if this is a unique set-up to change the date, just wanted to share and know about it. Possibly unique? Or not...........

vintage elgin watch (1).JPG vintage elgin watch (2).JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 21, 2012

Longines had the same push to change feature, someone here will know the calibers as did Omega with the caliber 1481 from the early 70s.

Never seen the Elgin though.

Bogs2 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 21, 2012

That's not the same Elgin as you're thinking - it was made after the real company was gone and some assembler bought the rights to the name. You can tell by the shape of that E symbol. Not unique unfortunately, and not even an in-house Elgin movement.

Bogs2 likes this.
  4. smithrjd May 21, 2012

Most Zodiacs with a calendar have the "quick set" function as well. Not really unique to swiss watches.

Bogs2 likes this.
  5. Bogs2 May 21, 2012

Wow, thank you for all the infos. Very helpful. So the watch does not have to be a high end brand (relative term) but common to Swiss movements. I just wish that some modern watches kept this configuration (even the Swiss ones that I know of) which is easier and convenient to use. Instead of pulling a crown a certain way.

6. ulackfocus May 21, 2012

I think Benrus was the first wrist watch to do the push crown on their calendar watches.

[​IMG]

Bogs2 likes this.