Forums Latest Members

Vintage Angelus & Revue - comments?

1. Henri85 Aug 15, 2014

Hey, I went through my grandfather's watches - who passed away already 20 years ago - and found these 2 below.
    Are they worth something and does somebody know more? I don't know much about these brands..Information would be appreciated. Both are running nicely and keeping time.

1. Angelus Chronograph(?) gold. Probably from the 1950s or early 60s, bought here in Finland then. Pristine condition, worn only a few times. I'm sure.
    What I can gather is that Angelus was a decent Swiss watchmaker that went bankrupt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Revue Automatic. Probably from 60s. Good condition, I guess this is the same as Revue Thommen?

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

I love the look of that Angelus chronograph

Henri85 likes this.
  3. bieb1 Aug 16, 2014

Two nice watches there, especially the chrono as Ash says. Both look to be in good condition and will surely have appeal to collectors. If you want to get an idea about value its worth checking on Ebay and chrono24.com what these brands go for. But as family heirlooms I hope you will want to keep and cherish them.

Henri85 likes this.
  4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 16, 2014

The Angelus is gorgeous. Angelus was an excellent manufacture, one of the few companies that made its own chronograph movements, so many Angelus references are of interest to collectors. The company went under when quartz came along, and never resurfaced. If your grandfather's watch is solid gold and fully functional or just in need of cleaning and servicing, I would expect it to be worth around €2000 on the open market. Add the value of the gold content of the bracelet to that estimate if it's solid gold.
    The Revue is a much less collectible piece. I would expect its value to be in the range of €50-€100.

Henri85 likes this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 16, 2014

I agree that eBay auction results will give a reasonably accurate estimate of value. Chrono24 prices are typically dealer prices, and for some reason the asking prices for Angelus watches on Chrono24 seen to me to be among the most optimistic of all the brands I follow there, when compared with eBay results.

6. bieb1 Aug 16, 2014

You are right about Chrono24 prices being (unrealistic) high. Makes me feel good when it is about watches I have and of course shocked when looking to buy. But for unusual brands and heirlooms it helps for having an idea of insurance/replacement value.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

The Angelus is brilliant. Given it's condition, I agree with MMMD's estimate.

8. Henri85 Aug 16, 2014

Thanks a lot everybody for your posts and the information! This is very interesting, I'm not really looking to sell at the moment so they are going to be kept for the moment at least. The watches have been in the safe untouched for about 20+ years, last serviced and cleaned in the 1980s.
    I heard that the Angelus was a gift to my grandpa from his father, all the 3 brothers got one. Grandfather was born 1930 so it must have been late 40s then.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

Your great-grandfather had superb taste

Henri85 likes this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

That fits the model, date-wise. There will be an Angelus caliber 215 inside.

Henri85 likes this.
  11. John U Jun 12, 2020

I've got one of these watches. It's a Beautiful Lady of a watch, but be careful and remember, it has six places for water to get in and no shock proofing. Since they are all old age pensioners by now, make certain they are serviced and freshly oiled before using. At 18,000 BPH, once that is done, they'll tick away for years. Chronadatos have a 217 calibre movement, which is based on the 215 movement. Usually, some ham fisted clown has tried to open them with a prybar and butchered the edges of the watch. Make sure you have nice edges like in the second picture, otherwise, reduce your offer. Inside they are strikingly hand made with tiny file marks left by a master watchmaker. IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG