Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1960s Jaeger-LeCoultre cal. K825 Automatic Jumbo Memovox w/ World Time Disc

1. tomvox1 Jul 18, 2014

JLCMemoWorld-lng_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-8_edited-1.jpg
    Up for sale is this beautiful and hard to find 1960s reference E 855 Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox Date with the famed in-house bumper automatic caliber K825 in ultra-desirable Jumbo 37mm water resistant steel case. This example also has the rare World Time rotating alarm turntable. While I couldn't swear that the watch came this way originally because some of the letters exceed the aperture, the scarce World Time disc is definitely factory printed and genuine LeCoultre as you can see by the pictures. It's also mega-cool looking any way you slice it. This big beauty retains its correctly signed "JL" crowns and also comes with a signed steel "JL" buckle. Overall, this striking stainless steel Memovox is easily in Excellent vintage condition with all functions working as they should, a nice loud & accurate alarm and a beautiful Near Mint dial and World Time turntable disc with just a hint of pleasing patina. This Memovox is such an absolute design classic that JLC still makes a virtual clone of it to this day.

The asking price for this scarce and stunning 1960s Memovox is $3750 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is OK with +2% to the buyer. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Other payment options upon application.

JLCMemoWorld-5_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-1_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-9_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-4_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-6_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-bk_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-case_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-move_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-innrbk_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-crwns_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-sd_edited-1.jpg JLCMemoWorld-7_edited-1.jpg

CASE & BACK: Large 37mm wide (not including crowns) x 45mm long x 11mm tall stainless case with water resistant-style screwed ring-lock back and elegant tapered lugs. Case shows very little if any polish and the sides appear to show their original factory satin finish. There are a few marks from wear and so I have to say the case is in Excellent vintage condition. The external caseback does show a bit more wear with one prominent tool mark and so is more like Very Good. It is correctly marked "Memovox" with a crisp 1 million case serial. The retaining ring screws down tightly and holds the back in place tightly and the inner caseback is corrosion-free, engraved "LeCoultre" with the proper 855 model number and correctly marked for stainless steel. This is a dress watch that is still substantial even by today's oversized standards and has loads of wrist presence.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Near Mint silver-white dial with applied elongated and faceted bar markers (double bars at 6 & 9), aperture for the date and inner rotating Memovox alarm turntable with cities of the world arranged by time zone and luminous arrow. The dial has all its original Tritium lume dots intact. The World Time disc is undoubtedly factory-printed but does slightly exceed the main dial aperture, so I'm not certain if it is meant for this specific model or not. It looks pretty damn awesome though either way and these original discs are very hard to find. Elegant "sword"-style luminous hands and baton sweep seconds are likewise Near Mint. Simply a timelessly beautiful and slightly exotic JLC layout!

CROWNS: Both original JL-signed crowns are present: at "4" for setting the time and at "2" for winding the alarm and setting the alarm disc. This is quite nice to find, as these crowns have often been replaced through the years with unsigned versions. Both crowns pull out to their function positions and operate as they should. They show a bit of cosmetic wear and so are Excellent.

CRYSTAL: High domed acrylic crystal with only the most minor marks from wear, easily Excellent to Near Mint and sits in the case securely.

MOVEMENT: Legendary JLC caliber K825 bumper automatic-winding movement with manual wind alarm function and date. The alarm disc is perfectly aligned to the time and the calendar rolls over when it should. The date is semi-quickset meaning it can be set rapidly by repeatedly moving the hands back and forth between approximately 9:30 PM and Midnight. As one would expect form a JLC, the watch is keeping very good time and the alarm sounds accurately, loud and long. This movement has a 1.82 million serial number, which dates it to approximately 1966-7, and is correctly marked "Jaeger-Lecoultre" on the rotor. While I do not know the service history of this great watch and so cannot guarantee that it will not need service in future, I do guarantee it to be functioning properly at the time of shipment.

STRAP & BUCKLE: This great Memovox comes on a slightly used water repellant French leather strap with white stitching. As a bonus I am including a vintage JL-signed stainless buckle, a pretty valuable extra in its own right. This watch takes 18mm straps.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

JLCMemoWorld-bkl_edited-1.jpg
    tinger and AAAKK like this.
  2. tomvox1 Jul 21, 2014

Bump

3. tomvox1 Jul 22, 2014

Top it

4. baoquang Jul 22, 2014

oh man, stunning watch

Can you please, please, take a detailed photo of the watch in the right of the paper. I was desperately looking for that picture for reference of my memovox? Thank you very much.

[​IMG]

5. tomvox1 Jul 23, 2014

If I ever get a free minute... sure. :D
    But if you are a big JLC fan, this background image comes from Zaf Basha's very good reference book on the marque. Google that and you should be able to find out how to purchase it--well worth it! :thumbsup:
    Best,
    T.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. tomvox1 Jul 25, 2014

Bumpovox

7. tomvox1 Jul 27, 2014

ON HOLD.
    Best,
    T.