Forums Latest Members

Video: Omega Seamaster Pro 300M Ceramic Review

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M Co-Axial With Ceramic Bezel
    Reference 212.30.41.20.03.001
    Powered By Omega's Co-Axial Calibre 2500D Chronometer Movement

It's hard to imagine its been over 20 years since the original Seamaster Pro 300M Diver, reference 2531.80 was released back in 1993. Since then, its gone on to become one of the iconic Seamasters with a production run that between three iterations has now exceeded the lifespan of the original Omega Seamaster 300 diver of the 50s and 60s.

Powered by the accurate and durable Calibre 2500D three level Co-Axial Chronometer movement, with an upgraded version of the intricate yet substantial solid link “Bond" bracelet, an excellent clasp mechanism and helium escape valve. The new ceramic Seamaster Pro is a watch different in nearly every way and yet still so similar to its predecessors from the 90s and 2000s.

The new bezel is made from highly scratch resistant solid ceramic, with inlayed indices made from extremely tough chromium nitride, marking a significant upgrade over the relatively fragile painted aluminium of previous versions. This alone is one of the nicest upgrades on the Seamaster Pro, it has this look and feel of glass that makes you want to touch it, yet repels those marks and scratches that damaged the old aluminium bezel (which was not cheap to replace either).

While the classic bond bracelet remains aesthetically the same, the older pin and bushing method of securing links has been replaced by a new screw system, which is a fantastic improvement that was well overdue. Rather than a single screw, Omega uses two screws one on either end which hold in place a central bushing which carries the stress but is not friction fit.

The movement new ceramic Seamasters use the D revision of the Calibre 2500 Co-Axial movement, incorporating the improved three level Co-Axial escapement operating at 25,200 vhp, a similar configuration to that used in the Calibre 8500 rather than the two level version seen in A, B and C models. While some prefer the 8500 movement and display back the 2500 does keep the Seamaster Pro significantly thinner than the Planet Ocean and in a very reasonable price segment.

Luminous material on the dial and hands glows a bright blue, with the exception of the minute hand and bezel pip, which are both a strong green for contrast, making at a glance reading of elapsed time easier for divers.

The new dial is a major departure for the Seamaster Pro line, with the traditional wave pattern painted dial being replaced by a gorgeously finished glossy blue ceramic that catches light to change colour from a vivid blue to a deep navy depending on the angle. The applied Omega logo and hour indices are made from solid white gold, and almost appear as if they're floating the glassy smooth dial. As an owner of previous Seamaster Pro models I’ll definitely miss the wave dial and some will probably prefer it but in person the gloss finish dials are remarkably clean to look at and certainly do fit with the style of the bezel nicely.

Omega has also changed the clasp, with the Seamaster Professional wording replaced by a simple and elegant Omega logo placed in the centre.

The level and detail of Omega's finishing on the Seamaster Pro has really been taken to a higher level level with this new ceramic version and they should be commended for that. The Seamaster Pro 300M always was a popular watch but it really seems like they’ve been listening to customer feedback on small gripes such as the bezel, clasp design, sizing mechanism and movement and endeavoured to step up all areas to meet owner’s demands.

These really are a watch designed to be worn every single day of its owners life, in all conditions, decade after decade, and so many of the 1990s 2531.80s have performed just that service. For that reason, if I had to choose just one timepiece to wear long term, the Seamaster Pro Ceramic would be among the top contenders, especially given its very reasonable pricing within Omega’s lineup.

OF2_9851-3000.jpg OF2_9806-3000.jpg OF2_9717.jpg OF2_9420.jpg OF2_9396.jpg

jB1128, AustinStm, tnt9 and 63 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

That's Trev's wrist btw not mine, which is why the watch looks so big by comparison :)

3. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Sep 4, 2014

Nicely done fellas! :thumbsup:

4. legends71 Sep 5, 2014

Great review and stunning watch.
    very Nice photos btw

SaarAvigour likes this.
  5. LeDave Sep 5, 2014

Watching and reading this makes me love my SMPc more than ever. Great review, awesome photos and beautiful video!

dsio likes this.
  6. Lee CL Sep 5, 2014

Great review and very nice video and photo. :)

dsio likes this.
  7. randomguy Sep 5, 2014

Very nice.

dsio likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2014

Thanks guys took a long time to finally get it out, it was actually shot and edited by Trev late last year

SaarAvigour likes this.
  9. DocHolliday Sep 25, 2014

This makes me envy the blue over my black smpc. Don't tell it though. I don't want it upset with me.

SaarAvigour and Nobel Prize like this.
  10. Fusion Sep 30, 2014

awesome video and review. thanks OF

11. roach7 Oct 15, 2014

Great review, thanks

helox likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 11, 2014

Looking through some of the 1000 photos from this shoot

[​IMG]

tikkathree, Longbow, krpdm and 6 others like this.
  13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 11, 2014

Looks a bit instagrammed, but I still love the blue :)

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 12, 2014

+1

15. saf Dec 29, 2014

Just loved the review- indeed one of the best ones so far..and excellent photography- omega should hire you guys :)
    good to know they used white gold for the applied logo and indices-
    got mine in black dial 2days ago :) i had been eyeing this for quite a while and once I learned aluminim is replaced with ceramic bezel- it was an easy choice to make
    And i totally love the lacquer and wont miss the waves :)

image.jpg image.jpg
    SaarAvigour, Hermit Rob, Tony and 9 others like this.
  16. lexusislee Dec 31, 2014

Love this watch this watch was my first big purchase will always keep ans love it

dsio likes this.
  17. lando Dec 31, 2014

Extremely nice! Love that video! :thumbsup:

cw56710 and dsio like this.
  18. Fusion Jan 3, 2015

Nice vid I still greatly prefer the classic 2254.50 generation sword hands SMP though.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2015

2254.50 was great piece, the new SM300 sort of makes up for its loss now, wonder if we'll see a sword hands SM300 variant at some point

cw56710 likes this.
  20. oscarmadrid2007 Feb 2, 2015

I really like everything about this reference but the prefer the 2254 bracelet.

frasatriani likes this.