Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Oct 9, 2014

Ukranians toiling away down under....

2. Carlton-Browne Oct 11, 2014

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 11, 2014

4. Leguepard Oct 16, 2014

Hi new to UG so I made sure to read most of the very informative posts beforehand.

Would like your thoughts on this one : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/SUPERB-VINTA...id=p3984.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Correct me, but I'd say it's a redial (plus description seems to confirm "THE DIAL … WAS PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED AT SOME POINT IN TIME TO THE ORIGINAL DESIGN"), is it any good ?

Thank you.

5. Waynepjr Oct 16, 2014

I am familiar with this seller, avoid like Ebola!!!!

Wayne

Diabolik, citizenrich and Leguepard like this.
  6. Leguepard Oct 16, 2014

So glad I asked (the seller just ended the sale and relisted it as it came to his attention that it was from the 1940s not the 1950s…)

Much appreciated.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    Waynepjr likes this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 17, 2014

8. François Boucher Oct 17, 2014

Wow! I juste received the book by Pietro Giuliani Sala… Addictive!

This is beautifully illustrated, and well informed.

I'm getting hooked on vintage Universal!

Waynepjr likes this.
  9. Dre Oct 24, 2014

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 24, 2014

It's a reference 12445. You could google "Uni-Compax 12445" and have a look at some other examples. I think it's all correct.

11. MarcelGuinchard Oct 24, 2014

Hi,
    I would love to know what you think about this cal. 285 UG Compur.
    The movement does not seem very clean ? But dial looks original ?

Thanks for your help!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251685311394Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414160725.634578.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414160744.264232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414160758.650651.jpg

12. ELV web Oct 24, 2014

I am afraid it is a redial, be patient. Look at the subdial inking and fonts. Look at the word Compur especially the R. You will sure find a real good one, just have to be patient.

13. MarcelGuinchard Oct 24, 2014

What a quick answer, thanks ELV web
    I really thought it wasn't a redial. I will follow your advice and be patient, but I have to say I am saddened by how few good opportunities there are: On the bay I feel like;
    - 50% Compax/Compur are bad redial with a price a bit too high;
    - while the remaining 50% have original dial but a price that is 100% too high.

On watch sales sites, almost all watches fall under the second category beautiful but largely overpriced)

Do you have the same point of view or am I missing something?

14. ELV web Oct 24, 2014

Try using different language to search what you are looking for :) good luck.

15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 25, 2014

Anybody got a beat on this bad boy? Sorry if I'm stepping on someone's shoes...

I'm a sucker for "cut dials".

One problem: I can't determine if this a really good older dial touch-up. Seems right but I almost always miss something on these late 40's watches....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 25, 2014

Ancient re-dial for sure. Not "really good" in my book, but then again I might not be capable of stringing the words "really good" and "re-dial" together. The thing that immediately disturbs me, from a distance, is the upright arrangement of all the numerals on the southern subdial - identical to the "clock-face" arrangement on the northern one. This is never the case on an original dial.

citizenrich and Waynepjr like this.
  17. woodwkr2 Oct 25, 2014

Avoid.

citizenrich and Waynepjr like this.
  18. MarcelGuinchard Oct 25, 2014

Hi everyone,
    Don't know if waXology got an opinion on this Compax, but I was just wondering what you think of this one.
    It has been on the bay for a while. Now relisted here:
    http://m.ebay.fr/itm?itemId=281408023832Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

19. Diabolik Oct 25, 2014

I see lots of comments about redials and how expensive UG's with original dials are. I think a good analogy is a painting by a famous artist like michelangelo or dali (happen to be my favorites). An original is worth millions while a copy is worth peanuts. The moral of the story is the real thing is likely to be very rare and worth a great deal more than a "connerie" as they say in france.

My view is that it is still a good time to buy a classy UG and prices are still affordable when compared to other prestigious makes but it will not be like that for long as more and more collectors of fine watches are realising their true value and adding them to their wish list !

Thanx Lous and WoodWkr2 for your valued and most appreciated advice ... and for the rest, grab them while you can, apart from the fact that they are great pieces of art, they are probably the best investment you will ever make ::money::

Woops likes this.
  20. Waynepjr Oct 25, 2014

I think it is more the rarity of finding a especially nice 40's UG particularly that makes these so appealing. There are other brands that as far as the movement goes that I would rather have as this really is not one of the best chronograph movements ever produced IMHO but it is the history of the UG brand itself, smaller numbers surviving in good to prestine condition that makes this such a fascinating brand. The dials that UG produced are still today some classics that could be used today on modern timepieces. Of course a watch mag writing about you all the time would even boost the prices of vintage Timex if you wrote about them long enough....... ::stirthepot::

Wayne