Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. woodwkr2 Sep 10, 2014

Hour and minute hands may be replacements. Crown is a replacement. Case has seen some heavy use, but thankfully has not been polished. The 6 oclock subdial hand appears to have been installed upside down, and the movement retaining ring has been replaced with a homemade version--which all leads me to believe that some amateur fiddling has gone on.

Frankly, I'd say that the condition of the bezel and tachymetre scale is the most appealing aspect of this watch.

citizenrich likes this.
  2. guillaume Sep 10, 2014

thanks Woodwkr2
    actually this is not my fav as I am more interested in a clear dial, but I had never seen this configuration (tricompax dial -especialy black- with a tachy scale like this) before

3. woodwkr2 Sep 10, 2014

The Tri-Compax models are great watches and a great bargain for the complications that you get. I'd encourage you to do your homework with these, though. This is not an uncommon reference. And 4 of the 7 waterproof pusher Tri-Compax references from this later era were fitted with this style tachy bezel.

Enjoy reading through the threads around here, you'll find some beautiful pictures of the various Tri-Compax references owned by OF members.

4. guillaume Sep 10, 2014

indeed they are. I have been reading through for some times now even if I don't poste much. But I really appreciate the involvement of the forum members!

5. papaebetu Sep 10, 2014

Guillaume,
    look the hands ..... ;) uncorrect and hard to catch :(

GIGI

6. guillaume Sep 10, 2014

yes GIGI and not goodlooking on this dial IMHO ;)

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 10, 2014

Here's mine... one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

NT931, Dogmann, Darlinboy and 6 others like this.
  8. khmt2 Sep 10, 2014

Dibs if you ever sell this!

9. Waynepjr Sep 10, 2014

Be warned of the Hodinkee Special. This was "advertised" in March as one of the Look What is Selling pieces and is now being resold by the new owner. Maybe? Wonder were the cool UG strap went? Is this the same watch? :thumbsdown: Seems to be having a wee bit of trouble as it is on the 4th listing now, this time as auction with reserve. Have gone unsold at $4k previously and selling price was $4.2k originally. Just know what your getting into my OF pals. No harm to Hodinkee, love ya guys!! :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231329821452?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. Melchiades Sep 11, 2014

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with this watch? I am in the market for my first manual wind UG chronograph and I am looking to learn.

11. waXology Sep 11, 2014

12. Waynepjr Sep 11, 2014

13. Waynepjr Sep 11, 2014

Classic story of guy who sees watch in article of a prestigious online watch rag and thinks I will buy it for a quick buck down the using there article as the selling point. This...... rarely works. If you look at the original Hodinkee article, the watch came with what was said to be an original UG strap from the day, it is now gone. Hmmm. Strap is replaced and a box is added but no images of the said box in the EBay ad. Hmmmm. Has gone unsold 3 times now, meaning it has not met his price. You darn right it hasn't. Paid $4.2k, would you take a lose?
    Guy bought the watch IMHO for all the wrong reasons, to make a fast dollar using Hodinkee as his hook. Read his ad. He knows nothing himself about the watch, refers the buyer to the Hodinkee article of March 2014. Is the watch good or not? Looks great to me. Just a heads up about the seller!!

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 11, 2014

IMO, it sold for a premium after the initial exposure. Now a tougher sell, and no strap to boot.

15. Waynepjr Sep 11, 2014

That is what usually happens with those feature watches, that or they don't sell at all.

16. Melchiades Sep 11, 2014

Cheers for the explanation.

17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 17, 2014

18. GeraldLui Sep 18, 2014

19. Diabolik Sep 18, 2014

I have never seen that type of link on a UG bracelet so I have to agree with gerald. It's very likely that is is a fake. Someone is going to buy a very expensive (non GF or UG) bracelet.

Hope he reads the posts on this forum and does some homework before buying!

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 18, 2014

Re-stamped you mean? Interesting - but I doubt it. This is simply an American-supplied UG bracelet. There are plenty of examples. It's authentic, but not a gay freres product.

cozzani1978 likes this.