Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. woodwkr2 Jul 31, 2014

2. timjohn Aug 3, 2014

Waynepjr likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

ELV web likes this.
  4. ELV web Aug 6, 2014

Hey Lou, great spotting again, are you taking up German or something :)

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 6, 2014

I compared the dail of your new UG chrono, ELV, to the one mentioned and have come to the conclusion that the two prongs located at 12 o'clock on the tri-compax are actually the remnants of the UG symbol, cut off at the bottom.

6. ELV web Aug 6, 2014

Very interesting observation, it does really look like that, that then begs a question, is this an after market customized dial. The issue is also cal 481 doesn't seem to come with this dial configuration (the dial looks like a later version that usually comes with cal. 281). Any thoughts?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 7, 2014

If that's an aftermarket dial, I'd like to meet the person who did it - I'd put him on retainer.

There's really not an 'aftermarket' in UG parts in the way that there is with Rolex for instance. I wish there was - many more watches would still be running. If you are using 'aftermarket' to say 'fake' in a delicate way, those certainly exist, but I'd propose that faking such a dial is not straightforward. It is certainly done - we've seen plenty - but they never look nearly as good as that.

I'd bet this is simply the Tri-Compax version of the Uni-COmpax model you just acquired. Somewhere out there, there is a UG catalog with those two side by side.

8. woodwkr2 Aug 7, 2014

Not for my money, if I were placing a bet. Not only do those pyramid markers grace the dials of other known UG pieces... But if someone were to decide they wanted to just clip off the lower portion of the "U" to create that look as has been suggested here, well, then they'd be left with a gaping hole at the 6 o'clock position of that U on the dial. The dial furniture is riveted into precut holes in the dial specifically for that purpose.

So not only would the U have been modified, but then the hole would have to be soldered and the dial completely reprinted to cover up the tracks.

I'll add, as someone who has done repair work on dials, that each of these procedures is extremely treacherous. One slip and you've ruined the dial and then are forced to redial. And soldering on a printed dial is difficult enough to do on the reverse (as in dial feet) without causing collateral damage. There are purpose built tools for this that are quite expensive and have been discussed in other threads. As you can imagine, a close to cold soldering process is required. But by definition, soldering requires melting metal. Heat and original paint on dials is a disastrous combo.

All of this is a moot point because these modifications simply didn't happen. It's just an unusual dial variant that appears to be completely original.

9. ELV web Aug 7, 2014

Thanks guys, I learn something again today. Just a pity to have to destroy a nice U.

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 7, 2014

woodwrkr2,

You give a compelling argument. The dial manufacturer must have, then, designed the watch to have the "U" in the same spot and then during the original manufacturing process accommodated the sub dial's presence.

Compared side by side, one can clearing see the intention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 7, 2014

And now it's gone...

12. theKfactor Aug 8, 2014

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 10, 2014

timeismoney and Waynepjr like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2014

15. Hijak Aug 11, 2014

:whistling:

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 11, 2014

Seems that this watch is going to be routed to a city with a lot of Poles.
    :rimshot:

Nice pick-up!

17. tinger Aug 11, 2014

I'm jealous again!!!

18. Hijak Aug 11, 2014

Ha...funny! Just happen to check thread after I came home late Sunday night, had to be well after midnight...and BAM, couldn't resist at that price and condition. Have been keeping an eye out for a stainless version but can't complain here. Thanks Gator!!!:D

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2014

Nicely done mate

20. tinger Aug 11, 2014

Congrats!
    Dibs