Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. cozzani1978 Jun 9, 2014

Thank you all!
    I inquired after seeing the listing finished on e.Bay ............... watch this intrigues me, but they are not yet able to distinguish the good ones from the false .... .
    Thank you again!

2. Greens Jun 10, 2014

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 10, 2014

I am pretty certain it's a redial.

4. ELV web Jun 10, 2014

The inner case back, you know beneath the Universal trademark, there is this signature of the case maker with fancy fonts. I seem to have an impression that this particular case maker with the signature is complicit to making franken watch. The name starts with a "W" as you can see in the picture. Any ideas who they are?

Inner case.jpg
  5. Diginick Jun 12, 2014

Lou -- Is it a bit strange to you that the seller is claiming to be selling this watch as they received it ("winds, keeps time, chrono function works"), however it appears to have been serviced on May 2, 14 (sharpee in case back) and the day date function in the picture are set to Monday May, 12 (which was this yr)....I would be fine with fibbing about a recent servicing, but then the crystal is still loose and not set...Why wouldn't that have been done during the servicing? Do you think there is any merit to my concern?

Thanks in advance!

6. Diginick Jun 12, 2014

For context...I Was referring to your response to this watch a page back
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...50,762214140&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

7. gibson45 Jun 12, 2014

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 13, 2014

citizenrich likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2014

Looks like it may have been bought

citizenrich likes this.
  10. Waynepjr Jun 18, 2014

Just in the opposite, there is no way I would pay the high price that I see being paid for the solid gold pieces myself. When times get hard and they will again, what happens to those gold cases? The melting pot, history has proven this. For the gold content of these watches and the amount they are going, you are not getting equal value. In hard times, true hard times, gold watches are worth nothing for there horological value but for the gold content. Just look to history.
    And that question is that real gold might get someone killed too. We forget these things.

Wayne

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 18, 2014

So can gold plated if the perpetrator can't tell the difference (and most can't).

Always use your common sense.
    gatorcpa

Waynepjr likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 20, 2014

I think I understand your point; that gold watches are overvalued and if true hard time fell upon us, then wrist watches will only be worth metal weight.

Do you really think very many white gold Patek's have been melted for gold/scrap value? It's my belief that the prices of used wristwatches are pretty consistent with respect to metal value. Meaning that precious metal premiums tend to have a fixed relationship to the least expensive metal used to produce the same reference.

Used watches have the same pricing mechanism of just about any other item. Price is determined by supply and the aggregate demand of purchasing power
    as the item travels through cost shifting.

Unless you're Rolex. Rolex has figured out how to beat the supply / demand curve. The other item would DeBeers diamonds.

Waynepjr likes this.
  13. Isabelle Jun 20, 2014

Hello,

I am a new Universal fan, found a tri-cpmpax from the 50' with a very dammaged dial and I wonder if anyone can help me finding a decent one or some refinisher with the correct negative like on these photos ?
    Thanks, I hope the collector's world isn't too macho ;)

Isa

universal 50'.PNG Tricompax 50'-02.PNG
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 22, 2014

timeismoney likes this.
  15. Isabelle Jun 23, 2014

Hello,
    For those interested, I'm trading this NOS tri-compax dial 481 for the 281 I'm looking for (see the previous post).
    Regards to all.

Isa Tri-Compax cal. 481.JPG

16. Waynepjr Jun 23, 2014

Got to tell ya Isa, I like it the way it is. But that is just me. I think, now I have Parkinson's and it does mess with your thinking so I have an excuse here, that FAR to many people get caught up today in this NOS perfect watch look or it is piece of crap, not for MY wrist thing. Very few and I mean very few watches of 40-70 years in age are going to be in this quality and to be honest have no story to them. Well, they do really. It means nobody liked them enough to wear them or rarely. Sad. I am in the process of restoring a early 40's Compax that was worn in combat by a P51 fighter pilot in the Pacific during WW2 and Korea. Most in this UG forum would not give this watch a second glance as it is not all pristine and perfect. And it shouldn't be. It was worn as it was intended, a tool watch by a pilot. But it has a story and not one of sitting in a sock drawer or safe for 50 years waiting for Howard Carter to unearth it like King Tut.
    I love the look of your watch currently and you are blessed to own it. Change the dial only it makes you feel better. Keep the dial to maintain provenance of the piece if you ever sell it, a new owner might want to put the original dial back on the watch. Big mistake a lot of collectors make when changing dials is getting rid of the original dial. It should always stay with the watch.
    Off my soapbox.

Wayne

citizenrich and shaun hk like this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

Wayne,

I don't think that is her watch in the photo. I think she wants to make it look like the one in the photo. That said, I agree with your sentiment completely:thumbsup:

Waynepjr likes this.
  18. Waynepjr Jun 23, 2014

Thank you Lou for the clarification. I see what you mean. That would be a hard dial to locate.

Wayne

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

Not sure why all the heavy sarcasm here.

You didn't provide pictures of the original dial. We also didn't know that you found the mother lode of original UG dials. Most of the ones on eBay are redialled crap.

Please cut us a break, as we are in the blind.
    gatorcpa

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

These style of these postings, the avatar and location are very reminiscent of a member who was banned for dishonesty... Forgive us if we are suspicious.