Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Diginick Apr 3, 2014

Thanks Wood - Just out of curiosity how did you know when the watch was serviced? PM to seller? In terms of value for the Tri-Compax...Is there a headline number for a triple signed clean watch that buyers can use for a base to work from? Or does it truly depend on each case? Are you familiar with the Farfo website? They always seem to have clean versions but at a top price as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate the insight.

2. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Each case is fairly unique. Unlike in the modern world, each one of these watches has lived a very different life. Condition is such a big factor that you've gotta evaluate each one, not just making sure all the parts are correct, but also checking the degree of wear on those parts.

Farfo has some pretty stuff and tends to price at the high end of the spectrum. Most dealers do, though. But you gotta figure out what servicing will cost and add that on top of your purchase price if you don't buy it from someone you trust, otherwise you're not really comparing apples to apples. In the case of a Tri-Compax, that cost can be substantial.

3. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Take a good close look at the Seller's pictures, and I bet you can tell all of us how I knew when the watch was last serviced, and how I can be reasonably certain that the watch did not sit in a safe for the last 40 or however many years the seller claimed.

4. Diginick Apr 3, 2014

As in March '96! Wow that's pretty cool. Looking forward to learning more tricks of the trade.

5. woodwkr2 Apr 4, 2014

Good work!

6. ELV web Apr 5, 2014

7. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

Well then maybe you should keep going for it. This isn't a twisted lug case. Different style. It's surely been polished, but not like you're thinking.

This is likely ref. 22297/1 with small mushroom pushers. Frankly, with such poor pictures, it's tough to even see whether the contours of the case are still present.

ELV web likes this.
  8. ELV web Apr 5, 2014

The seller seems to be claiming it is 22297/3. Is the /3 vs. /1 accounting for the lug style difference? Thanks in advance.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

no, none of the ref 22297 variants have twisted lugs. The twisted lug case is an altogether different reference (222100)

ELV web likes this.
  10. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

You raise a good question. There are two examples of ref. 22297/1 in Sala. Both cases have straight (ie non-twisted) lugs as does the one in the eBay auction.

I was also reminded of this example, which came up at Antiquorum auction with ref. 22297/3, with twisted lugs-- so one of them ain't right.

There is an identical example of the Antiquorum watch in Sala, which contains the ref. 222100-2, and I believe that the ref. 222100 is correct for both Lou's example and the Antiquorum example with the blue tachy dial.

I've also been able to find other examples of the ref. 22297/3, which have straight lugs and match up with the example in the eBay auction.

In short, I now question whether the example that Antiquorum sold in February had a correct case back.

Update: It's likely a copy writing problem with the AQ auction, rather than an incorrect case back. The AQ folks are dumb, but hopefully the buyer still got a nice watch out of the transaction, even if he's confused about its true ref. number.

ELV web and JohnSteed like this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

I'm shocked...SHOCKED...that yet another watch at Antiquorum is not as described. :rolleyes:

giphy-12.gif

12. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

Just to close this topic out for anyone who may be considering the ebay watch in question. I believe that its reference 22297/3 is entirely correct. Still doesn't fix the problem of the bad pictures...

ELV web and JohnSteed like this.
  13. ELV web Apr 5, 2014

thanks guys :)

14. ELV web Apr 6, 2014

Another older one on eBay, looks nice. I can't get the link on the web somehow but on the iPad app it works. Seller's name is remigiotowatch so if one search this seller one should find this watch.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  15. mappleluna Apr 6, 2014

16. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

I don't need to search it. That one looks good to me.

JohnSteed likes this.
  17. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

Overpriced. The ask is at least 50% higher than recent sales, which featured the more attractive UG logos.

I have no reason to think that it's not authentic, though.

That's a 20mm. Make sure that's what you want and that you're not putting it on a 19 or you'll need to modify the end links... and if you've never done this, I wouldn't suggest you learn on an expensive vintage bracelet. So factor in a trip to the jewelry store.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 6, 2014

that's not a Space Compax bracelet. The original is a Gay Freres product with UM endpieces. I can't identify the manufacturer on this one (triangle HC) and the endpieces are blank, so it's merely a 20mm UG bracelet. If the dating works the same way it does on the Zenith lobster bracelets, it is from late1974, which post-dates the Space-Compax.

Here's the proper goods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JohnSteed Apr 6, 2014

... Including minute sub counters? Thought some of the markers should be longer ??

20. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

JB Champion also produced signed Universal bracelets during this period. I've always viewed JB and GF bracelets as period correct, official Universal bracelets.