Forums Latest Members
  1. Jimmy M Feb 11, 2013

photo 3.jpg

2. Jimmy M Feb 11, 2013

3. Jimmy M Feb 11, 2013

Thanks, Ben, for that helpful addition to the discussion, and yes, kudos to LouS for getting this UG forum going!

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Jimmy, much better, but you need to turn off your flash. Today's probably a tough day to do this because overcast, but it should still work. Try a windowsill, flash off, and push the little flower setting on your camera (if its got one) for the close up.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

You've really got the bit between your teeth on this one. I tend to agree with your conclusion.

Ben, thank you very much for stopping in. I think we are beginning to achieve clarity on this.

Thank you gentlemen, but it is a collective effort by the whole Omega Forums team. Were it not for the community, the outstanding platform and the excellent format allowing us to link freely and discuss values, none of the fora would be as vibrant as they are.

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Lou

Apparently the Sala book only goes up to the end of the 1950's and doesn't include any 60's or 70's models. Is that right ?

I read somewhere that this is because UG didn't make their own movements in those decades, but I have no idea if that is correct. Before I plunge in, it would be good to know :). Information on these doesn't look easy to come by !

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

It only includes those models containing UG movements - so yes it includes the 1960's-70's Tri-Compaxes (although only a few pages on these, proportional to the amount of UG output they represent), but not the Valjoux 72s like the ones in this thread http://omegaforums.net/threads/late-model-v-72-universal-compax.3644/, the SpaceCompax, etc. And no Polerouters unfortunately - just chronographs.

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply. Unsurprisingly it's the Tri-Compax that has been floating my boat, so I might have to start looking into them ;)

One last question if you dont mind: Was the biggest Tri-Compax size 37mm, or were there any bigger sizes in the 60s/70s? Unless Kyle does a wrist swap with me I'm a bit limited in the case sizes I can get away with on the wrist...

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Thread coming, Spiki, but I'm afraid those late twisted-lug TriCompaxes are all of a uniform - and relatively small - size.

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Thanks Lou. Perhaps I'll make an exception for these :)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Nice to see you Ben, we've got a lot of hodinkee.com readers around here