Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Polerouter Sub, Opinions?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 4, 2014

I have claimed this Universal Geneve for very close to the opening bid: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMMACULATE-...qzQLdDBWx4cW9hxy8rge8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

What are your opinions on it? I'm not sure - but it looks to have been well polished. I originally thought the crown was replaced - but I'm not sure after seeing this other example, which seems to have an identical crown: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10156486

What are your thoughts on the watch?

2. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jun 4, 2014

This is the same seller, David, that offered a S.58 chronograph a few months back. I think he deals in frankens, put togethers and other things to be avoided. I'm hardly a Universal maven, but the case seems more fake than polished, shouldn't it have chamfered/bevel edges?
    Wait for LouS to chime in....

3. ELV web Jun 4, 2014

Agree with the above comment case looks odd as it is symmetrical which is unlike the usual pole sub with asymmetric case. Picture from polerouter.de attached

image.jpg
  4. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jun 4, 2014

ELVweb, I wasn't referring to the asymmetric case, another version of the watch, but rather its departure from the symmetric examples.
    Ill see if I can find a photo....

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 4, 2014

LarryG, thank you for your insight.

The case seems correct to me - but maybe it's just a hope's feeling. Let me know if you can draw the comparison/find a photo illustration and we'll see what others have to say.

P.S.: I also notice he deals often in frankens, etc., which is concerning.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Have a look at this thread - It'll confuse you further :confused:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/polerouter-sub-a-typology.3624/

The business about the asymmetric case is completely unclear to me. There are just enough around with symmetric cases that makes me wonder if they could be legit. That said, I really don't like the one of the watch you bought. There is just something about the lugs from the side and oblique view that says "polished-down twisted-lug Polerouter case." In addition, I happen to have that UG brick-pattern bracelet, and I can tell you that it fits a regular Polerouter case perfectly.

$_12.JPG
    $_12 (4).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG

I do think the crown is a replacement. A watchmaker informs me that the spring inside the UG screw-down crown is integral to the crown and cannot be replaced, so that when it gives out, the whole crown needs to be replaced. Haven't verified this myself, but it would account for frequent replacements.

7. ELV web Jun 5, 2014

I still have massive amount to learn, thanks for the education :)

8. Diabolik Jun 5, 2014

Lous,

I have a NOS crowns with and without spring. the spring assembly screws into crown so you should be able to use an old spring with a new crown (see image). The Polerouter Sub should be fitted with a screw down crown therefore what we see is a replacement crown and a cheap one at that ! IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0904.JPG

Jackyloi2110 and HeuerLoon like this.
  9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 17, 2014

I received the watch and have an inspection period. What do you guys think? I have carefully looked at the case and it seems to be an actual polerouter sub piece. I don't see how somebody could polish a classical polerouter case to look as this one does.

One thing I am concerned about, however, is the appearance of serial numbers on the back of the screwback case. Did polerouter subs have serial numbers on the back of their cases?

And to address Lous's concern about the strap, here is another one with an identical strap: https://www.google.com/search?q=polerouter sub&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MdqgU9rIBYn9oAT7p4L4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=481&dpr=2.5#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=cGYbIeU70VdeKM%3A;pFedYaUtpsA72M;http%3A%2F%2Fi41.tinypic.com%2Fo8v1h4.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Forologi.forumfree.it%2F%3Ft%3D60118505%26st%3D15;800;600

Does anybody have any general thoughts on the watch now? The screw-down crown does function correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serial number? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 17, 2014

The reference number is: 869109/01. Does that correspond correctly to this case design?

11. Diabolik Jun 18, 2014

David,

looks like it is all correct. case is symmetrical (one of the first polerouter subs with a single crown) produced around 1961-1962. Information was checked out and confirmed by bubawatch ::blowup:: (forum member and olive oil producer). He is the oracle ...

Thanks bubawatch ...

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 18, 2014

Thanks Diabolik and bubawatch. I appreciate the investigation efforts.

Are you telling me that he believes the crown is correct?

13. Diabolik Jun 18, 2014

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2014

Hi

i have the same model, I got it over 15 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great watch !

my screwdown crown more snaps into position then screws these days.

good hunting

bill sohne

omega67, Waynepjr and Gavin like this.
  15. Diabolik Jul 13, 2014

In my opinion, the crown is a polerouter crown, but not for sub modelS. You should have a dome top 6.7 mm spring loaded push in and screw down crown. However, the way it is does not look out of place.

grat original sub bracelet is a definite plus. Not many of those around!

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 13, 2014

Hi
    I agree on the bracelet, the crown has the same profile as a polerouter super crown. I there are so few of these around , I don't know.

Thanks

bill

17. rolokr Jul 21, 2014

I got the 42 m,m, version of the Polerouter sub, so I'm not an expert on this one by any means ! The watch seems legit, minus the crown ?
    I think some franken dealers come across legit vintage watches from time to time. Difficult to bid, given that a lot of their items are frankens !

18. Jackyloi2110 Sep 22, 2021

Hi, is it still available?