Forums Latest Members

Universal Chronograph Pusher Variants

1. woodwkr2 Feb 11, 2014

Thought I'd get this started in an effort to catalog all of the different styles of chronograph pushers that Universal has used over the years.

I am aware of several different style pushers. I'd propose the following terminology to discuss them:
    1) Large mushroom pushers
    2) Small mushroom pushers
    3) Small, non-waterproof mushroom pushers
    4) Sharp edged mushroom pushers
    5) Flat pushers
    6) Oval pushers
    7) Flat, rounded pushers
    8) Rubber pushers (Space Compax)
    9) Experimental
    10) Large, pointed mushroom pushers

I'll point them out below.

photo 2.JPG
    Above we see examples of the Flat pusher (#76 and #73), Large Mushroom pusher (#75 and #77), and Small Mushroom pusher (#74).
    These pictures come from the Antiquorum Universal brand auction. Interestingly, the auction note for #74 (and other small mushroom pushers on this style case) states: "This model bears small round push-buttons and was made in few examples".

photo.JPG
    Here I'll ask you to note a very subtle distinction: the Sharp edged mushroom pushers in #55 and #57 (and presumably in #56 too, before the edges were rounded with use in the softer, gold metal).

photo (1).JPG
    Here's an example of the oval pusher, which is typically seen on earlier period chronographs.

photo.JPG
    Here we have a #141, which the auction notes described as "Unusual stainless steel prototype of a gentleman's wristwatch with fancy button chronograph, registers and tachometer. I'm calling these "experimental" pushers. We also have the rubber pushers in the Space Compax (#142 and #143), and Large Mushroom pushers in #144.

266511-fs-universal-geneve-worldtime-reduced-2900.jpg

Here we have a Flat, rounded pusher that is sometimes seen beginning with the very recent Universals from the 1990s to present.

photo.JPG

We have this example from Sala, showing the Small, Non-Waterproof Mushroom pushers. This style is seldom seen and appears as a transitional variation between the flat pushers with snap backs (both were non-waterproof) to the waterproof mushroom pushers with screw down case backs.

8pb5h.jpg
    Finally, we have this example of the Large, Pointed Mushroom Pushers, here seen on the rare, non-screw down waterproof caseback models.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 11, 2014

Fantastic review and a great reference. :thumbsup:

Samir likes this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for the post and great work there. Appreciate it.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2014

Nice review of the literature and effort at taxonomy

I seriously doubt pushers in #144 are original. This is the sort of conversion Space Compaxes go through when people can't find the rubber pusher assemblies.

Diabolik and Old and Vintage like this.
  5. woodwkr2 Feb 11, 2014

That's not too surprising as the flat pushers and large mushroom pushers are almost universally 1000x easier to find as spare parts compared to any of the other variants.

I've got a nice uni-compax missing one of the two sharp-edged mushroom pushers. I've been looking for a replacement for 2 years now. Suspect that I'll have to sacrifice one of his brothers at some point. Even the material houses that specialize/carry Universal parts think I'm absolutely nuts when I try to describe the sharp-edged mushroom pusher. Invariably they suggest that I just buy two of the large mushroom pusher and swap them both out to match...

I'm still looking.

Samir, Mapearso and Old and Vintage like this.
  6. Luisg73 Apr 10, 2017

Hello,somebony know if there exist the large water proof mushroom button,for aerocompax?
    Or what other watch model can use for my aerocompax 24h 1960

7. primabaleron Apr 14, 2017

Thank you. I again know more :)

8. Diabolik Apr 14, 2017

Fully support Lous on that.

#144 is not a UG variation found on space compax. I think you will also find that the picture originates from an auction house and is not from a UG catalogue, brochure or extract.

9. DManzaluni May 30, 2019

Not sure how i missed this thread before but I'm glad i have now.

I had thought someone had mauled the pushers of this watch trying to get them out of the case and had damaged the end caps getting them off these stalks.

Now it appears they are just rare transitional pushers that never had the end caps

20190416_090759.jpg

Thanks guys!

loniscup and 10H10 like this.
  10. bgrisso May 30, 2019

cool case. what about the dial ?

11. DManzaluni May 30, 2019

Completely not sure what to do about the dial. It looks nice but seems to have beginnings of verdigris advancing from the lower right towards the upper left. I did try asking whether anything could be done to clean anything off but no one seemed sure; and I didn't want to appear naive for seriously suggesting that anything on a dial could be cleaned!

12. bgrisso May 30, 2019

Sorry I was not more clear, it's a redial. I'm not sure about some of the hands either.

Mark020 likes this.
  13. DManzaluni May 31, 2019

So I may just go ahead and have it done properly if it gets really bad, -if those marks spread much more than is apparent at the moment.

Possibly by that firm in South America that does, from what I have seen, really good refinishing of chrono dials.

14. berrychlossom Sep 23, 2020

Resurrecting this old thread with a stupid question.
    In case of solid gold cases, where the pushers and crown solid gold as well or where they gold plated?

15. bgrisso Sep 23, 2020

I've always wondering this myself. I would tend to think they are plated but I don't know

berrychlossom likes this.
  16. bgrisso Sep 24, 2020

you can definitely find solid gold crowns I think, but they are less common, and I don’t know about pushers