Forums Latest Members
  1. Carlton-Browne Mar 12, 2014

One of these has been on my list for quite a while and I've had a few bids in on potential Ebay candidates; I've managed to miss this specimen change hands at least twice but, following a trip for repair organised by the previous owner, it's now mine. These can be quite hard to find in good condition because, as far as I can tell, they were always intended as a tool watch (though there is a version with a semi-precious stone dial which certainly isn't for shrinking violets) and the size can make them a bit of a door-frame magnet. I'm pleased to say that the bezel on this one is in really good condition and the two areas for improvement are the crown, which looks like it's been in a motorcycle accident, and the incorrect second hand.

My normal self-imposed size limit is 42mm; this is 43 but the nature of the integrated, and admittedly quite rattly, bracelet together with the pretty non-existent lugs means that it fits just fine.

Anyway, here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Gay Frères bracelet is stamped for March 1969 which I believe gives an approximate date for the watch also since I've found no indication that this bracelet was fitted to any other Universal Genève - though the style of the links was produced in other versions. I've always thought the bracelet looked insubstantial in the pictures that I've seen on the web but in the raw metal it's just fine.

Before I contemplate any further work on this I intend to pursue a few potential sources for a new crown and second hand and I also can't quite work out whether the polygonal ring on the front of the bezel should have a polished or brushed finish - anybody have a better idea? Any potential spare crown or second hand owners will be received royally.

ELV web likes this.
  2. papaebetu Mar 12, 2014

Mine, with box and papers, is blue like the sea....
    Here on quartz Sardinia beach ;)

GIGI

[​IMG]

3. Carlton-Browne Mar 13, 2014

Excellent; I think a blue one might be next. As a matter of interest, do the papers make any reference to the depth rating of the watch? There are no markings on the dial, caseback or indeed anywhere else to give anyone a clue.

4. Voproductions May 28, 2014

Mine is an 18k Unisonic with black face and diamond insets on the quarter hour with perpetual date, not original strap. working order[​IMG] 100_0772.jpg 100_0778.jpg 100_0779.jpg 100_0778.jpg 100_0779.jpg