Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve Aug 3, 2011

Hi can anyone shed some light on this watch ?.. omega turler.jpg

I've read that Turler is a quality name added to certain watches but thats about it.. any help ?.
    omega turler 2.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

Just from quickly searching, its a large jeweller in Switzerland, they also branded several other watch makes. Cartier and Tiffany & Co are also known to engage in that practice, branding watches by other makers with their own name as well as the OEM's.

3. Steve Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for that Ashley, do you think its worth persuing ??.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

I'm not the constellation expert I'm afraid, Mondodec and ulackfocus are better for that, what I will say is that I think its interesting, but with all things in life, be they cars, watches, or women, it depends how much the thing is going to cost you :D

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 3, 2011

There are some European collectors who collect Turler Omegas, but generally I think people would probably prefer the non store branded examples. But it's not as common as mainstream examples and the watch you posted is pretty clean, so why not?

Cheers

Desmond

6. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

Yep, Turler was a large retailer and put their name on the watches they sold. I've seen their name on other brands like IWC too.

That's a "C" case Connie, and a few of us have the opinion that they'll appreciate in value. Prices are already starting to go up for them. The first "C" case was made in December of '64, and that watch is a 1966 model by the serial number. The caliber 564 is the culmination of Omega's automatics from the period. That particular watch was polished a little too much but it's still in decent shape. Dial looks original with only a few stains/discolorations on it around the edge. If you can get it under $600 you'll be doing okay. I had a nice example of a gold capped caliber 751 that I sold for $625 a couple years ago:

[​IMG]

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

I personally think the C case, and the D case, are ugly, but then I'm a guy in his 20s, and these other blokes have grey hair, and probably still own vinyl records. If you still own Black Sabbath LP's yourself, go for it :whistling:

Its a bit too 70s for me, even if it was designed in the 60s lol

8. Steve Aug 3, 2011

HaHa, i'm mid 40's so still own a few vinyl records, but i do transfer them to my ipod !.
    Just something different to add to my collection ?.
    Thanks guys for the expert comments.

9. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

In your 20's? Man, I have sweatshirts older than you! :D If you're a 'vintage' person, you appreciate vintage watches. :coffee:

"C" cases take a while to grow on you, but as soon as you wear one you'll like the feel and the illusion that it's a larger watch than the diameter would make you think. Lotsa lug area.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

Oh I do appreciate vintage watches, I don't even mind ugly watches, the Flightmaster is as ugly as sin, as is the PloProf, but that's part of what makes them so cool, sort of like a De Lorean. Its just that given the choice, I'd take a Pie-Pan Constellation over a Bed-Pan constellation in most cases ;)

This is purely my completely biased opinion mind you, seeing as I own one of the earlier ones and love it to bits. :thumbsup:

PS: This is my fashion sense, not horology, so don't listen to me Steve lol

11. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

No worries, everyone is entitled to their view.... which I completely agree with when it comes to the PloProf. Nice analogy on the De Lorean. :thumbsup:

12. Steve Aug 3, 2011

The Ploprof is as ugly as sin.. but if you saw one you'd be like.. ''WOW a Ploprof'' !!.

13. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

But I have seen one... and I still thought it was ugly. Wouldn't mind finding a vintage one cheap though. I'd sell it and by normal human sized watches with the proceeds!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

My brother-in-law's father has the re-issue PloProf, you have to realize there is a specific market for it. Imagine for a moment, thick, dark curly hair, handlebar moustache, a carpet of chest hair covered by chains, wading out of the surf onto the beat in a pair of 1950s style skintight swim trunks, with a pair of aviators.

The key feature of the piece, aside from its brilliant Cal 8500 movement, is the sheer vulgarity of it. It in no way pretends to be a piece that can be worn at sea and in a suit like the Submariner, its a tool you strap on when you're going to punch a shark in the face. That's why its simply brilliant. :D

15. Steve Aug 4, 2011

I think your watch has to fit into the enviroment you're in, to a certain extent ?.
    I used to be a diver and wore my huge citizen aqualand with my dive buddies in the pub, and didn't look out of place, the same can be said about a PloProf. But watches like that look out of place during day to day wear.