Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

Possibly a fake?

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

It very well may be a UG made case. But I think that it is likely that the inside of the case was re-engraved. One would need to do testing of the metal to be sure it was proper karat gold.

Lou thinks the dial is original and certainly the movement is right for a Tri-Compax.
    gatorcpa

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

This is the direction my thinking was going. Explains the "reasonable" price.

4. M-technic Feb 3, 2014

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 4, 2014

Yes, but it is 14K, which is correct for a reference number beginning with "5."

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

This is interesting. Apparently someone bought the watch that M-technic was asking about (sold for under $4000 if I recall - anyone remember the asking price?) and is trying to flip it for a beefy profit - asking $5500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181321844161Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I wonder if they saw this thread. If they did, they must not have read down to this part.

7. M-technic Feb 10, 2014

The original seller was asking $3,500. That's a shame.

8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 10, 2014

M-technic and others,

I am the one who's selling the watch. I was already in discussion with the seller before your post and have bought several Tri-compaxes from him in the past 6 months. I knew I had to act fast, though, once I saw this post come up, and so I closed the deal even though I had concerns (as seen in this thread).

I admit I bought it to sell it and make a profit- but I see you're still upset. I'm PMing you now to see if something can be worked out.

I would not have interceded if I had initially gained word of the auction from your thread.

,David

9. M-technic Feb 10, 2014

Hey, I'm a capitalist so no harm no foul. Good luck with the auction.

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

That's the danger of publicly outing a watch you're interested in - lots of lurkers ready to swipe it.

11. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2014

Yes, but from a fellow member? :eek:

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 10, 2014

Like I said - I was aware of the auction before the thread and was already in discussion with the seller. I've bought several watches from him, as he's selling his whole collection.

I don't think I did wrong, but if I did - let me know.

13. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2014

Ask him if he has any Longines.

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 10, 2014

He has sold nearly everything now. Apparently he's moving to a country/location where carrying expensive watches around is a bad idea. I'm not sure if he means because of the weather or because of the crime.

15. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2014

Where's he moving to - Siberia?

16. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 10, 2014

I can't recall - it was over a phone conversation. But it was something similar.

He's very sad to have to sell it all.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

Da Bronx probably. Sound move, shedding the bling.

18. 123Cowboy Feb 21, 2014

First time poster, curious if anyone has feedback on the Bain listing above? Originality, condition, pricing, etc.?

19. woodwkr2 Feb 22, 2014

Did you call and ask about the pricing? Bain does that annoying thing that some vintage dealers do... that is, they price based on the perceived knowledge level of the caller. Their sales people have really pissed me off in the past on a piece that I was seriously considering--even at full dealer price. I got the brush off treatment and haven't been back. But for the right piece, I suppose I'd bite.

Bain's gold Tricompax looks completely original, with the possible exception of the crown. I haven't cross referenced serials, etc. But the dial's original, hands are original, pushers look good. That spot on the 11 would drive me nuts, and almost looks like some ham fisted repair person used a bit too much loc-tite on the hour marker.

Case looks to be aggressively polished, but done well. Meaning that they respected the side graining vs. shiny areas and didn't round over too many edges. A little oxidation on the gold builds up over a couple weeks to months and can disguise this fact.

20. 123Cowboy Feb 24, 2014

Ah yes, marginal pricing, I suppose the vintage watch market would lend itself to that. He's asking $5500. I was in Miami last week, so I stopped into take a look at it. When you mention cross referencing the are you referring to Sala's book, or just making sure the case back and movements match? What most concerns me about the watch is the over polishing, as there are no reference numbers on the back, I will assume they were polished out which seems to me like a lot of gold. Did UG ever not print reference numbers on the back? Thank you for your insight.