Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Apr 5, 2014

IMG_3437.jpg IMG_3709.jpg folks,

i am about to take the plunge. I intend adding both to my collection ...

thoughts (originality, what they are worth, what to look for) ?

Thanks in advance .

2. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

Are those sample photos or seller's pictures?

Either version of these later model Tri-Compaxes will generally run from about $4-6.5k on the Bay. Dealers will usually ask $6-8k, but they typically come serviced. Condition and originality are the big drivers of value.

Servicing costs and parts availability can be big issues, so figure $600-1,000 to service them, possibly more or less depending on specific parts needs. You also need to be careful about who you send them to for work, as these were among the most complicated movements of their era, so you need to make sure your watchmaker has experience with these models and is willing to track down parts.

Correct replacements for some case parts like hands, pushers, crowns can be very, very difficult to find.

Your best bet is to look at as many examples of these as possible and start to develop your eye for what an original example looks like. Check the eBay Universal thread, and if you get serious about a particular watch, post it in the forum so we can help look it over for you.

They're great watches! Enjoy the hunt.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

They both look good to me, although there is a little flaking on the dial of the silver one. IN addition to the usual, You'll want to make sure all the correctors work, as these are expensive repairs.

4. Diabolik Apr 5, 2014

both are actual sellers images of complications i am going to be viewing within the next week or so. the tri-compax (67) with the GF comes with box set and guarantee certificate and has been in the wish list for some time now. sold a rare favorite to finance the purchase ... IMG_0733.jpg

good bye old friend .

cant wait ... !

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

Good time to sell early Autavias - they are hot, hot, hot just now - but I don't know that I would have done the same. :cautious: still, change is good....

6. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

From the pictures that you've posted here, they look good to me too.

Lou pointed out the flaking on the silver dial at 12 OClock. But it also comes with a complete boxed set, which, as you know is seldom seen.

The black dial is pictured with a correct Universal bracelet. Depending on the day these bracelets have been fetching ~$600 at auction. So if you like 'em, it's a nice thing to come with the watch.

7. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

As you're testing all the functions, make sure you don't advance the pushers on the left side of the watch when the watch thinks that it's between midnight and 3am.

8. Diabolik Apr 6, 2014

Lous, I know what you mean about selling. Something had to pop though ... I am sure I will probably regret it but hey, no pain no gain !