Forums Latest Members
  1. x3no Feb 23, 2015

Hey guys/gals, not sure of the protocol here, but others have certainly asked this question before. I was tempted to hijack a former thread and post this but figured I'd try a new thread first at the risk of getting yelled at :) Maybe we need a sticky thread for "thoughts on {your watch here}" so people can just post it there. Anyway without further ado, here is the tri-compax I'm currently in talks with the seller on. Very close to buying but wanted to get one last opinion from the UG Guru's to make sure I'm not missing anything.

14K gold, 35mm 1940's model. A bit of wear on the outside of the dial, a bit of patina, but the dial, hands, and case look to be original (gladly corrected if wrong). It "looks" like a double line around the moonphase but its actually just the indentation around it and the way the picture looks. I think the crown and pushers are correct, but not 100% sure.

Also would be great if I could get a general price range this might be going for on the market now to make sure I"m not over-paying for this if I do decide to buy.

Thanks for your help!
    Brandon

_14K gold - 35-36mm.jpg

ug-tri-compax-wrist.JPG

universal_geneve_solid_gold_tri-compax_vintage_watch_side.jpg

universal_geneve_solid_gold_tri-compax_vintage_watch_movement.jpg

universal_geneve_solid_gold_tri-compax_vintage_watch_back3.jpg

universal_geneve_solid_gold_tri-compax_vintage_watch_back2.jpg

Diabolik likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Feb 23, 2015

Farfo?

Does it reset to zero properly?

3. x3no Feb 23, 2015

Yessir.

In the description it says this "Bottom Pusher Resets Counters to Zero. " .. So I didn't think to second guess or ask about it, but should I?

4. x3no Feb 23, 2015

Any other experts have opinions?

5. woodwkr2 Feb 23, 2015

Look at the pictures. It appears that the subdial hands are not resetting properly to zero.

The description accurately details the use of the bottom pusher... but that doesn't mean it's working.

To my knowledge, Farfo services all of their watches, so perhaps the photos were taken prior to the servicing. But that's definitely something you should clarify, as servicing a Tri-Compax ain't cheap and resetting Tri-Compax hands ain't always easy, even for those of us who are good at it.

Edit: Even in the wrist shot, it appears that the 3 O'Clock subdial hand is not properly zeroed.

Edited Feb 23, 2015
  6. x3no Feb 23, 2015

Hmm good points. Can't hurt to clarify, it is a lot of $$. I've asked the seller for clarification on this to be sure. Thanks for seeing that, I always miss something!

7. x3no Feb 23, 2015

Seller has verified all sub-dials working, and has even guaranteed so with a 1-year warranty if anything breaks, I send it back and he fixes free of charge..

Hmm, will let any other experts chime in before I make a decision over the next few days.

8. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

Whatever the price is or whatever you end up paying, that is a very beautiful watch.

x3no likes this.
  9. marco Jan 18, 2016

That is indeed a lovely piece, I am envious.
    I own a vintage Rolex, a Patek, and a Lange, somehow I have become consumed by the need to own a Tri Compax. The just have some prescence.
    Take pleasure from it.

10. x3no Jan 18, 2016

For closure on this thread, I did not end up buying it. It was a well rounded piece indeed, but the 35mm size coupled with the minor dial imperfections made me pass. Not to mention the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay. Thanks for the kind words though, I'm sure it went to a great home since I do not see it listed!

aap likes this.