Forums Latest Members
  1. wbfondren Jan 28, 2015

[​IMG]
    UG Tri-compax, in pink gold, with the special pink dial. Unpolished case, of the 1947, ref. 12552.

Just wanted to get an opinion on this watch before I make a decision on it. I personally enjoy it, but I wanted to get an opinion from other people on the condition and any other thing that anyone sees in the piece.

Thanks

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2015

Link is not functional

3. wbfondren Jan 28, 2015

Sorry, here you go!

UG-PinkDial.JPG
  4. woodwkr2 Jan 28, 2015

Well, you've not given us much to work from. A movement and case photos would typically be in order. But from here, it looks good in terms of originality. The case has seen some polishing, but that's typical in the soft metals. FWIW, these copper dials are gorgeous.

5. wbfondren Jan 29, 2015

Here are more pictures of the case and movement. Is this a rare watch in terms of Tri-Compax's? I just want everyone's general opinion on it so I can make a decision on whether or not I want to purchase it.

IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2318.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2324.JPG
  6. woodwkr2 Jan 29, 2015

It's a nice, original Tri-Compax. It's got 18k, larger size, and a copper dial all going for it. Rare is a relative thing with vintage watches. There are lots of Tri-Compaxes out there, but far fewer are still in all original condition.

It has definitely been worn and loved and polished, but you knew that.

If you're looking for the community here to 'authenticate' it, consider that done. Only you knows whether this particular watch makes your heart sing. If it does, pull the trigger.

7. woodwkr2 Jan 29, 2015

You'll also want to learn about its service history. If it has not been recently serviced--truly serviced!--then you'll need to factor that in to the price and realize that this one may be off at the watchmaker for some time before it's ready for your wrist.

8. 10H10 Jan 30, 2015

I agree with woodwkr2, nice watch in original condition, now it depends on the price...

9. wbfondren Jan 31, 2015

What would the going price be? I just don't know if and how much the pink or copper dial adds to the overall value.

10. Wilddyan Feb 1, 2015

Did you get a price? Am intrigued...

11. wbfondren Feb 1, 2015

The asking seems very high at $10,000.. But of course it can be negotiated. Does anyone know what the sell price should be?

12. Wilddyan Feb 1, 2015

I am in no way an expert, I have one Tri-compax for which I paid about $4.5k (but is steel and little beaten up), but to me that seems high.

However if you love it enough then it's worth it- although make sure to negotiate.

The others will be able to better advise on price I'm sure.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 1, 2015

Pros and cons accurately summarized here:

$10K is outrageous. Call it $6K-ish, mainly because of the unusual dial in decent shape.

14. wbfondren Feb 1, 2015

Exactly what I thought.. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know of any great sources for old Tri-Compax's? (Or just old UG's in general)

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 1, 2015

If we did, we'd have bought them by now. You'll have to join us in trawling auction catalogs, forum listings, eBay etc. There's no secret source.

16. x3no Feb 18, 2015

wbfondren - Did you end up making a deal on this watch? I'm interested now and hope you did! It's a gorgeous piece.

17. wbfondren Feb 18, 2015

It is an absolutely gorgeous piece but, unfortunately the dealers price was just too high. I couldn't quite pull the trigger. I was offered another piece that I have never seen before (but I'm a bit of a noob with UG's) but I was told not to share it publicly, so if anyone wants to private message me and give me some help with identifying it I would really appreciate it!

18. x3no Feb 19, 2015

Bummer about the original piece and the price being too high.. Sometimes thats the way it works out I guess. There will always be another piece waiting for ya out there, at the right price

19. woodwkr2 Feb 20, 2015

That raises all kinds of hairs on the back of my neck. If you're a noob and looking for a Tri-Compax, I'd either stick to a reputable dealer, or be certain that you share your pictures here so that we can help you out. If the seller is unwilling to accommodate that request, I'd move on. It could be stolen, faked, or who knows what.

Edit: I'd add that even if you're planning to buy from a reputable dealer, I'd run it by the experts here. The collective knowledge around these parts far surpasses any dealer I've run across.