Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Omega Seamaster Chronometre - Original or Refinished Dial?

1. rshroff Oct 28, 2014

Dear Respectable Members

Would be most grateful if you could let me know your thoughts on this Omega Seamster Chronometre - whether you think the dial is original or has been previously
    refinished. Many thanks!

Seamaster Chron1.JPG Seamaster Chron2.JPG Seamaster Chron3.JPG

2. JM251 Oct 28, 2014

I dunno but it kind of reminds of my grand mom's bedspread

Lucasssssss and palkastu like this.
  3. ulackfocus Oct 28, 2014

I'd have to vote refinished. The lack of SWISS or SWISS MADE plus the slight misalignment of the letters on the top half make me feel it's an older redial.

4. rshroff Oct 28, 2014

If you look closely at the 2snd pic, you can just about make out the outline of the word "MADE" under the 6 marker. SWISS MADE is there but badly faded, hence difficult to make out. But the coat hangar "S" looks correct to me.

5. rshroff Oct 28, 2014

If you look closely at the 2nd pic, you can just about make out the outline of the word "MADE" under the 6 marker. SWISS MADE is there but badly faded, hence difficult to make out. But the coat hangar "S" looks correct to me.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Pretty sure it is original. It would be difficult to redo a dial with a pattern like that. The "S" and "r" are characteristic of the XVI model, so I think it from around the same era, mid-1950's.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. TNTwatch Oct 28, 2014

I vote original with the "Swiss Made" faded because of moisture damage all around the rim of the dial. Very unique and nice dial design!

8. rshroff Oct 28, 2014

Thanks but what about the missing minute markers? Is this a red flag?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

A red flag that the dial is very worn and possibly damaged by moisture.

That's a shame.
    gatorcpa

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 28, 2014

By looking at the Omega logo with rounded edges, I think it's an early Seamaster powered by a 352 or 354
    I also hate the top part of that coathanger S.
    Vote for redial.

Original Seamaster font from mid 50's with that S and R

omega_image.1912401.jpg

and these are the S and R of the early Seamaster

[​IMG]

Jdk93 likes this.
  11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Hard to tell, the pattern distorts the text a bit. Would need better pictures although I can make out a little of the swiss made at the bottom.

12. TNTwatch Dec 1, 2014

Just received it yesterday. It's a jumbo 2494 with cal. 354 so I snagged it within a few minutes after the seller posted internal pictures for the first time after several listing cycles. The generic crystal is loose/fallen off causing oxidation to the dial's rim, but Swiss Made is till there and the Seamaster script looks exactly like Hoi's first pic. But having a black patina dot at the upper end of the S and it's lower end's peeled off a bit made it look like a strange S through a camera's lens. The whole watch is quite dirty, but there's no wear on the lugs like in the above pictures and no internal damage or rust.
    2494crop.JPG

Caliber561 likes this.
  13. craigbythesea Jan 23, 2018

@hoipolloi thank you for sharing logo pictures. Commenting here so I can refer back to in the future.