Forums Latest Members

This really pisses me off! Swatch Group cuts parts supplies to external distributors (UK).

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2014

With your cuppa, be secure that you will be at the vanguard of future collectors, and we will be viable!, regardless of our boundaries.
    We will all have to exist in the same world.

2. rolexfantastic Jun 6, 2014

I've received the same message from Ernst Westphal K. yesterday, and saw the bad news on Cousins some weeks ago.

Some watchmakers are already placing such orders for the most usual replacement parts (ie: mainsprings, bearings, crystals, pushers, crowns, stems, etc.).
    I don't suspect Swatch wants to create panic for the next 18th months, but i can't really see the point in leaving such a long period available to purchase parts before having them restricted unless massively increasing sales during this period.
    On the long term, Swatch will probably benefit from this restriction, as others did before them.

Probably a very good solution... but how many governments besides US have lifted a restriction coming from the Switzerland ?
    We'll soon stare at mobile phones and will vault all the watches we dear or wear them on Sundays and live with the fear not to break them.
    But no worries, Seiko Monsters will replace your Omegas just fine...

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

I know that at the Omega Boutique on 5th Ave. in NYC, you can speak with a watchmaker and they will do minor service (crowns, crystals, etc.) on site for cost of parts. However, full service is still sent to Switzerland. I'm hoping that this change in the parts distribution will lead to more local service at the Boutiques nationwide so that the relationships you mention may be established. Don't know if it will happen, but we can hope.

Um...have you ever tried to source parts for a Seiko? Trust me, you'll have a much easier time finding Omega or Rolex parts. CoServ (Seiko's US service center) has never sold parts to the public. If you need something, you have to send the watch to them for full service.

The Swiss didn't invent this restrictive parts distribution system, they are only perfecting it.
    gatorcpa

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2014

Yes, this isn't a Swiss problem, but an industry problem. In addition to Seiko not widely selling parts in the first place (they did distribute through some material suppliers like Jules Borel for example), they are also not inclined to keep producing spare parts for any watch for very long after it's out of production. I have often run into the "obsolete - no longer available" situation with Seikos that are not really that old - from an era where movement parts for Omega and Rolex are still readily available.

And just to reiterate, as yet there is no indication that these new policies will affect watchmakers who have spare parts accounts. If your watchmaker has the proper education, training, and experience, and either have an updated shop or are willing to upgrade, they can apply for an account from Swatch.

It's potentially not cheap depending on the current state of their shop, but it's worth it if they do a lot of Omega work.

Cheers, Al

5. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jun 6, 2014

How much would it cost to take out a full-page ad in a prominent trade magazine? I'd be good for $100 or so to help buy one with our complaints as the last link in the consumption chain. You can't really advertise your product as a future heirloom if only 1% of your customers of new products can afford to maintain it as an heirloom.

6. lenny Jun 6, 2014

Your assertion about Seiko is incorrect. As Al states, they don't keep parts for as long as I would like (their policy is 7 years), but you certainly can get individual movement parts if you know who to talk to. And Seiko USA will most certainly sell things like bezels, crystals and bracelets (assuming they still have them) directly.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2014

Not sure what you mean by trade magazine. If it's for the watchmaking trade, then the AWCI in the US is complicit with the manufacturers in these restrictions. Their spare parts policy states that they support free distribution of parts to all watchmakers, but their actions say differently. They developed and administer the CW21 testing that is a Rolex requirement for a spare parts account in the US. The president of the AWCI is (or was - not 100% sure) the shop inspector for Swatch in the US, so he has written reports to close parts accounts - even though he heads the organization that has a policy of parts for everyone - conflict of interest anyone?

The AWCI will not allow advertising for any generic parts in the trade magazine, The Horological Times. They receive funding from the watch companies that have these restrictions, and many feel they are in the back pocket of the industry....

If you mean consumer watch magazines, like Watchtime for example, then they get their advertising revenue from the watch companies, so not likely they will be critical of policies like this or accept advertising that is critical, since they would be biting the hands that feed them.

The deck is not stacked in the favour of open parts distribution by any means....

Cheers, Al

CdnWatchDoc and lenny like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

Not the last time I spoke with them, about a year ago. I must not be speaking to the "right" person.
    gatorcpa

9. lenny Jun 6, 2014

I never said the right person was at coserv :)

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

I must have spoken with Puddy...::stirthepot::

gatorcpa

11. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jun 6, 2014

You're not reading Jalopnik at the moment, are you?

12. rolexfantastic Jun 6, 2014

The moral was more like Omega won't be more respected by the collectors or by those that were thinking to buy their first Omega and now scared with the new policy; and not just buy a Seiko instead, as they have better parts distribution policy.
    But with the restriction, i bet the new units sales wont increase either.

Omega is no longer that nice "graduation" present in terms of prices, so this is yet another way of claiming their status.

13. khmt2 Jun 18, 2014

Well, perhaps less than 18 months, if this sale by WatchCo Australia is a harbinger of things to come...

End of supply of OMEGA spare parts
    Dear customers,

We have been informed that OMEGA SA, a subsidiary of the Swatch Group, that the supply of OMEGA spare parts will be terminated entirely to all parts wholesalers globally and therefore to us as well end of December, 2015. OMEGA spare parts are no longer available for free watchmakers, collectors and enthusiasts beyond this date. Some material is already been limited and much of what we sell is now “No Longer Available”

What does this mean for you?

Should you repair your watches by yourself from that date on you will no longer be able to obtain the necessary spare parts in the free trade like before. The distribution policy of OMEGA will prevent all delivery of spare parts to you and others who have not been certified by OMEGA.

We will now dramatically reduce our stock levels and will liquidate MOST of our stock lines. We have enjoyed doing business with you all over the last 15 years and thank you for your support.
    It’s a great shame as we love the Brand and how it has been embraced by the collector community.
    Kind regards
    Marcus Alexander
    Watchco Australia
    Abouttime Ch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/abouttime-ch?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Took the opportunity to grab a dial and bracelet for my beloved flightmaster at prices quite a bit lower than before, maybe you fellows might want to stock up as well?

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 18, 2014

Minutes taken directly from the 2013 Omega shareholders meeting:

Step 1. Collect underpants.
    Step 2. ?
    Step 3. PROFIT

Get me some new consultants to tell us how to be just like Rolex! I want to be able to increase prices 8% a year, forever!!

Sir, we need to stop dumping unsold inventory to the grey market.

You're fired!

What if we forced our "customers" to repair their watches in perpetuity through corporate?

Brillant idea, just like Rolex!

But, we still need to stop dumping unsold inventory to third parties.

You're fired too!

blackwatch and John R Smith like this.
  15. Tritium Jun 19, 2014

Will it be possible to buy any bracelet or endlinks directly from omega after December 2015?

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 19, 2014

Highly unlikely.
    gatorcpa

17. fc2 Jun 20, 2014

Could you explain this part? I'm interested in a 13Zn watch but hav'nt pulled the trigger yet because I don't know if Longines still service these.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2014

Unlike most modern watch companies Longines is very collector friendly. They will look up the history on any of their vintage watches and tell you when it was produced and the distributor to which it was originally sold.

Most companies either destroyed these records or charge anywhere from $100 to $1,000 for this service. Longines doesn't charge at all.

My guess is that Longines can still service a 13ZN, but it isn't going to be cheap or quick. I enquired about their service once and Longines actually recommended going to an independent watchmaker as they knew their charges were more than the value of the watch.

How about that for customer service?

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2014

I serviced a 13ZN 12 recently and if you buy one that is in decent shape and does not need parts, then any competent watchmaker can service the watch for you. Even though I have a parts account with Swatch, when it comes to vintage Longines if I ask about parts, the only answer I get from them is "Must be sent in for service."

If they have a stash of parts for these old movements, they are not willing to sell them...

Cherrs, Al

watchyouwant likes this.
  20. lenny Jun 24, 2014

Swatch is not alone....
    Just received this news from Ernst Westphal:

IWC spare parts no longer available in the free trade from August, 2014

IWC Germany, subsidiary of RICHEMONT has announced the entire termination of spare parts supply to all watch material wholesalers globally (like SWATCH Group has done either) and will not supply with parts to wholesalers from August 2014 anymore.

From this date IWC spare parts will not be available in the free trade anymore, repairs will be performed only by IWC Schaffhausen or local watchmakers who have applied for a special certification.

If you are in need of particular IWC spare parts hurry up and send your wish list to our company account [email protected]. Please include in your inquiry:

- case reference of the watch and serial number
    - caliber type if movment parts are needed
    - spare part name
    - if dial or hand sets are needed: dial and hand set color