Forums Latest Members

Thirsty for Longines knowledge! Is there a recommended reference book?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

I'm quite smitten with Longines. I'd like to thank OF, Dennis, and all the others I've been learning from here on this fine forum, but I'm quite anxious to learn even more. I know that a book is just a book, and for learning current and accurate information, the best sources are probably right here! However:

Is there a book/reference or two that might be recommended for learning more about movements/models/ history of Longines and/or some of the other important watches of the 40's/50's/60's?

I found something (no longer available) on eBay by 'Dean Judy' called '100 Years of Vintage Watches', but I'm not sure how good that one is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WATCH-PRICE-GUIDE-COLLECTORS-BOOK-Bulova-Elgin-Longines-Jaeger-LeCoultre-/251652901008?nma=true&si=GO3MRD0jdvGXjifzF3ui%2B9XLHNU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 30, 2014

I'm not sure of books to recommend, but you're certainly right that expertise can be found in this forum. We are very fortunate to have such nice and knowledgeable individuals.

I wouldn't recommend a "general" book on vintage watches. If you're going to buy a reference book, go for those which specialize.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

4. cristos71 Oct 30, 2014

I like the Goldberger books, lots of very nice pictures of very seldom seen watches. Some information about movements and references although nothing really in depth.

They are more a coffee table book than a reference work, but I rate them highly due to quality and quantity of the images together with their affordability.

Here's a link to the review of the book about Longines

And here's the complete online copy of one of the two Omega editions, this one Omega Sports Watches :)

http://issuu.com/teko/docs/omega_sportwatches

5. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2014

The Goldberger book deals with some pocketwatches, WWII watches, and chronographs, then ends at models in the late 50's / early 60's with just 1 or 2 pictures of Conquests and/or Flagships. It's in no way comprehensive and there are redials in a few of his books. Patrick Linder put out a reference on Longines movements called "At the Heart of an Industrial Vocation" that tells a lot about Longines' history and the mindset of the manufacturer, but no mention of what case references these movements were offered in. Believe me, I'd love to have a complete reference - Longines does have the archive records to do such a compilation.

baunataler and dougiedude like this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

Thank you, Cristos...pretty cool video of so many vintage chronos. I saw only a few more 'modern' vintages at the end, of which I would love to have seen more...

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

Your own 'sticky' on the automatic movements is incredibly helpful. I'd love to have a little more knowledge about the manual winds, too. Does Linder cover those very well?

8. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2014

Manual or automatic, all of Longines' in house calibers are covered. As far as quality, that's easy - they're ALL excellent.

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

So, no need to concentrate on searching for just the few I've already heard good things about; specifically, the 30L and 23Z? Now that is good to know!

10. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2014

There are less common Longines manual winds that the veterans seek, but if I told you what they are I'd have to kill you. :D

dougiedude likes this.
  11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

But can you tell me if their numbers might include one's in the teens?!? (without having to do the dirty deed?)

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 30, 2014

I might be getting confused with the autos now, sorry! Need to go back an review....::book::