Forums Latest Members

thewatchery.com - Deceptive Marketing

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2012

Just a quick note that thewatchery.com seems to have either themselves, or through hired third parties spammed the forum with dishonest posts using fraudulent accounts, a technique known as Astroturfing

An example of their nonsense is as follows:

The source of this, and two other accounts was this IP address:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/98.203.108.118

All using different hotmail throw-away accounts.

The owner of thewatchery.com appears to be:

Holdings, ILS [email protected]
    ILS Holdings, LLC
    101 S State Rd 7
    suite 201
    Hollywood, Florida 33023
    United States
    +1.9548953827

There's a group of sites run by the same people:
    - ewatches.com
    - worldofwatches.com
    - thewatchery.com

Now most likely The Watchery have hired some scumbag organization to market their wares online who have acted on their behalf, in which case if they'd like to post back the name of that organization and discontinue the use of their services I'll consider that a good outcome, however in the meantime I consider their behavior to be dishonest, untrustworthy, and deceptive and recommend that prospective buyers of watches from thewatchery.com avoid them and choose another vendor.

LouS, danomar and Trev like this.
  2. ulackfocus May 4, 2012

As we say in Joizey after getting even with an opponent who gave a cheap shot: "take that bitch!".

MKelley likes this.
  3. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 5, 2012

And now "The Watchery" have their low-life marketing tactics forever exposed on the internets. :D

MKelley likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2012

You get the feeling some SEO/SEM losers went to them and said "hey, we can get your site to rank higher on google" and they went ahead with it, not knowing that the methods used to do that involve vandalizing watch enthusiast websites...

5. Steve May 6, 2012

So do dodgy companies hire people to promote them, making them more popular, hence to get higher on the Google search ??.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2012

Effectively yea, often they don't even know what they're paying for.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 6, 2012

"The Watchery" is owned by the same people who own this web site:

http://www.worldofwatches.com/cust/contactus.asp?d=0

I know exactly where they are located. Only a few miles from me. It's an office building on a busy street. Wells Fargo Bank in the lobby type of place. I've seen the same address listed as the importer of my Vostok Europe watch (relax, it was only $30). I think they are importers for a lot of smaller brands. I can almost guarantee that they don't have inventory on site. The building just isn't large enough.

It could be that only the company's attorneys are located there. The principals could be anywhere in the world.

The internet is a wonderful thing...sometimes,
    gatorcpa

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2012

They have everything from AP to Patek listed as "One Left" but I'm guessing that means if you order, they'll scrounge one up from somewhere up from another vendor and take a fee.

9. Ryan Clark Jan 15, 2013

Oh my that's a shame to see....this is the perfect example of why you should be very careful if you're hiring your marketing out. I'm surprised they haven't responded to this.

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

Did you even read the thread? It's pretty clear why they're being criticized. The Watchery created bogus accounts to publish fake customer endorsements on Omega Forums.

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

Michael Clark

Did you create an account here just to defend these companies? It seems a bit odd that this was your first post on the forum.

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Sep 3, 2014

Dude is probably watchery lol who defends spammers

Trev likes this.
  13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

Ok...

I think you're full of shit and have some affiliation with the company. They don't seem to be too bright when it comes to dealing with internet marketing, so that would make sense.

Why else would you join Omega Forums to dig up an old thread and defend them as your very first post here? Did you even notice the last comment was from January 16th, 2013?

You seem to have difficulty understanding that they created shill accounts to post fake customer reviews, ones that were strikingly similar to the account you're posting from now.

14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

FYI guys, we spam-binned a user since we believe he was affiliated with the same set of companies. If the thread feels a bit dis-jointed, it's because his set of posts defending the watchery are also gone.

15. yande Oct 8, 2014

Although I am majorly put out by the new "privileges" rule, I have ads I can't even edit, I even have positive feedback from a moderator, I really do appreciate the steps you guys are taking to make the buying and selling of watches safer for all of us here at OmegaForums. And this is another (productive) post on the way to 200!! ;) .
    Thanks for your service...

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 8, 2014

Yande, we know you're legit. I'll sort out your account for you now. ;)

Cheers

yande likes this.