Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 22, 2014

It might be helpful to some to see opinions on which vintage Omega watch models and styles would be considered least desirable on the collectors' market. Of course it is assumed that we would be discussing only all-original, unfooled-with Omega watches. Which decade/eras might be less popular? Styles: rectangular, ladies' models etc.? Case material: gold, stainless, gold-filled? In watching auctions, it would appear that diamond dials don't have a wide appeal. What about case sizes? What about least desirable movements? Are there any vintage Omega movements that are troublesome turkeys? Would any of the knowledgeable members be willing to pinpoint three to five specific examples?

For instance:

One of the Omegas on hand here is an early 1960s stainless steel De Ville dress watch featuring a 32mm case, w/o second hand, and powered by a 620 movement. These don't seem to be highly sought after. No matter. I like it's minimalist styling and thin case so happily wear it on occasion.

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 22, 2014

70's quartz without line (no seamaster, constellation or geneve.......just plain Omega)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

Anything from Ukraine in general

NT931 likes this.
  4. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Oct 22, 2014

This kind of stuff is really interesting and very helpful for a noob like me. Especially, best and worst movements and that sort of thing. If there's a list like that, please feel free to steer me in that direction.

Cheers.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 22, 2014

Anything with a cal 1001 or 1002 (and that includes the Ploprof) that hasn't had an official Omega 'fix'. Style appreciation is in the hearts and minds of beholders. Some people love the 'brutalist designs of the Seventies, while others go for the more industrial styles of the fifties and sixties.

Agree generally with the comments on quartz, except the Marine Chronometer, the D-Shape Mosaba, and some of the electro-quartzes of the Sixties/Seventies.

Size, again, depends on preferences and wrist diameter, but an exec of a market leading high-end watch retailer told me that the size pendulum is now swinging the other way with 37 - 38mm soon to become the standard. Hence Omega's 37mm Seamaster. So some of the ultrathins of the sixties and seventies may gain more appeal.

Cheers

Desmond

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

I think you're on the money with the size thing, oversize watches have been done to death now and many elements of mens fashion such as suits are sort of becoming a bit more restrained and understated at the moment.

7. François Boucher Oct 22, 2014

Trouble trouble trouble…

Any Omega Cal. 372… This is a kind of flirt you won't like ;-) (…Desmond wrote about these a while back)

Or any f300 with a stripped index wheel… you may never find a replacement and that beautiful lobster tail shall remain in the drawer…

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

Ha I was actually holding a Cal 372 a couple of months ago, Omega's version of the NSU RO80.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

I would say any gold-filled ladies cocktail watch. Doesn't matter if an Omega.

Women just don't like these anymore. Totally out of style.
    gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Oct 22, 2014

Well, they aren't authentic Omegas but I agree with the sentiment.

I'd say anything from the late 70's to the very early 90's with the exception of some dive watches - especially if it has a battery.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 23, 2014

Anything shiny from OC Watchco

Anything from India with a fresh as a daisy brightly coloured dial and/or the "Swans of Serenity" (or whatever they are)

Anything on a black leather pillow from Thailand

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 23, 2014

Agree with you on this one. :thumbsup:

13. mac_omega Oct 23, 2014

I agree that a Cal. 372 is hard to service - hence the early disappearance from the market... but hey they are very scarce and ::money::

You have to find a watchmaker who is able to service it correctly - or you send it to Bienne - I think this might be one of the rare occasions I would request their service.

14. rogart ray it again, Ram. Oct 23, 2014

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 23, 2014

"The Least Desirable Omega Watches"

Anything I get outbid on, miss or don't have the money for.

Tire-comedon, Alpha, watchme and 5 others like this.
  16. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2014

Sour grape syndrome. :p

noelekal likes this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 23, 2014

Fun and instructive responses.

Another question I failed to include in the original post is: Where do the Omega models with date feature fit into the scheme of things? Are they generally more desirable or less? Does the date feature offer more opportunities for watch movements to go haywire? I've never cared much for the clutter of a date feature on a watch dial so out of the 30-something watches on hand, only one has a day/date feature and that's a Seiko quartz dress watch that my wife gave me years ago.

Maybe I need to rethink the date thing.

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

Redialled ladies cocktail watch.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 23, 2014

20. Wongo Oct 24, 2014

Some of those 70s Geneve I used to hate, but some how those stick batton mellow up so now have 1 Geneve in my collection (only because it has a metal bracelet)
    Undesirable as of 2014, some of those quartz watch are totally horrible to look at specially the gold plated case.