Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 28, 2014

Welcome Hermilio........I would love to see your Grand Prix 1900 watch
    You will also feel home in here since many petrolhead around.......http://omegaforums.net/threads/friday-petrol-head-post.10705/

2. Phoenix Apr 2, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg
    Privateday7 and dsio like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2014

Welcome Mike!

Phoenix likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 2, 2014

Hi Mike.......welcome.
    Your Constellation is pretty neat :thumbsup:

5. Dedalus Apr 7, 2014

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a short while and am humbled and excited by the wealth of knowledge here, so thought I'd better hurry up and join.
    Currently working full-time as a youth tutor while also applying the finishing touches to a PhD in English. I've been living in Dunedin, NZ for the last six years but am a Sydney boy born and bred.

The current collection looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

along with my grandfather's VC (with poorly refinished dial and replacement crown :( )

[​IMG]

At least this part's original

[​IMG]

And sometimes like to steal my son's Seiko

[​IMG]

but the MM300 is going to make way for a vintage purchase of some sort.

My recent interests and research might be accused of lacking somewhat in focus, but they'll give you an idea of where I'm heading.
    I've become fascinated by 1930s-50s UG and Longines chronos, along with Valjoux 72 based offerings from numerous brands.
    Also becoming increasingly fond of vintage triple date chronos (an added moonphase never hurts).
    At the same time I'm reading up on vintage Rolex (non-sports models), particularly fond of waffle and honeycomb dials, and references linked to Sir Ed Hillary.

So...plenty of studying to keep me busy. ::book::

And some of the pieces that have fallen by the wayside as I've slowly discovered what works for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really miss the Doxa and definitely plan to get my hands on another 300T Pro in the future.

[​IMG]

Should never have sold the Tudor either, but you live and learn I guess. ::screwloose::

Anyway, that's me for now. I see my next purchases being one or two good reference books, and then who knows.
    Looking forward to contributing to this forum.

Cheers,
    Jared

rhetoric likes this.
  6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 7, 2014

Welcome Jared,
    Nice and diversified collection you have there:thumbsup:
    I think your Grandpa's VC deserves another shot at redialling. This time with top notch redialler.........Hoi's friend in Vietnam probably? Its movememt is very beautiful............
    ps: Hoi is a member in here who has vast connection with skillful watch maker and watch parts producer & enhancer.

7. Dedalus Apr 7, 2014

That sounds like a plan. I definitely intend to do justice to the watch. Also need to find out more info about it because I'm not sure whether the 18k two tone case is authentic or original to the movement and dial. Thanks for the lead.

8. i20rider Apr 7, 2014

What's going on gentleman. My name is zach . I currently live in phoenix AZ . I'm originally from West Monroe Louisiana were my family owns and operates a syrup factory. Norris syrup.co. I don't have a very large collection at the moment but I'm working on it . I have spent the majority of my money in the past on firearms lol.

I like to smoke a nice cigar and drink Balvenie 21 year but that's about as far as it goes lol.

I feel like I have good taste just not the money haha.

But like everyone on here I do have a soft spot for a nice time piece
    So I'm here to learn .

Thanks guys

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 7, 2014

Best burglar-deterrent post ever. Welcome Zach.

i20rider likes this.
  10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 7, 2014

Welcome Sam. You gotta show us those old Omegas and Rolexes. You can't talk about old Speedies and Seamasters and Subs and Daytonas and leave it up to our imaginations. ;)

Welcome Zach. I too like the Balvenie 21, especially in tax-deductible situations. Good taste indeed.

UncleBuck and i20rider like this.
  11. speedbird Apr 7, 2014

I guess I never properly introduced myself here. My name is Joe and I like watches. Rolex was my first love starting with a 16710. Then, it spiraled out of control. First the 16710, then 16610LV, various forms of Explorers, YMs, DJs, and then a DRSD. i finally found a keeper with my 5500 Air-King. I'm an air traffic controller by career but I'm also a pilot so it fits. The smaller size just fits so much more comfortably and I just love the history. I like the subtle looks, silver dial and oyster bracelet. The AK is a Rolex for someone who doesn't want to show the world they're wearing a Rolex.

My Omega collecting started with an Orange 42mm PO, then a SM GMT, Speedmaster, various vintage Seamasters and Connies. All sold. with the help of some excellent guys here, I purchased a SM30 135.007-64. A nice vintage piece.

I'm really putting thought into rebuilding my collection with pieces I like. Right now, I'm taking a little break to decide which sport model I want to add next. The SM300, GMT 16700, or maybe a black dial 16550. The latter two seem to be forgotten references, not often one's second or even third choice.

I've been a member of TRF for 7 years and with Rolex, nothing surprises me anymore. I've seen just about everything but with Omega, I'm out of my comfort zone and it feels nice. Many things feel fresh and new to me and that's refreshing.

With any luck, I hope to become a productive member of this great forum.

best regards,

Joe

12. prontoprint Apr 8, 2014

Well it's time I said hello. Was referred to this venerable site by a fellow member after purchasing an Omega Dynamic from him a couple of weeks ago.

I really got into Omega's following my "obsession" with the Apollo space missions which led me to purchase an Apollo XI 35th Anniversary ( panda dial ) 2 years ago. To be honest it was the fact that Buzz Aldrin had signed the box which grabbed my attention in the 1st place.

Since then , i've been lucky enough to pick up an Apollo-Soyuz meteorite watch when my local watch shop lost it's Omega status and was selling off stock with a fantastic discount.

I've now started slowly adding some more vintage items, and have had a very enjoyable time reading many of the posts so far. So much to learn !!!

I haven't got proper photos of all my watches but here's the 2 I mentioned

Wrist shot 35th Apollo 11.jpg

MyApolloSoyuz.jpg

Mathlar likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2014

Welcome mate, always good to see new members from word of mouth

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 8, 2014

Welcome Joe,
    We are looking forward your seasoned Rolex vintage watch collecting knowledge (which like land mine field) into Omega world.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 8, 2014

Hi Pronto,
    Superb Omegas as starting your collection. Both are collectible modern Speedy Pro's. I see Snoopy, other LE Speedy as well as vintage cal 321 Speedy in your future collection.
    H

16. prontoprint Apr 8, 2014

Thanks H,

Will take a lot of patience and reading and lots of questions before dipping my toes into the vintage Speedys ! Think I'll just float on the surface for a while

17. Togri Apr 9, 2014

I joined a few weeks ago and have had a lot of help from the kind members here and are enjoying the forum very much, so introduction is in order.

My name is Tobias and I'm 28 years old from Copenhagen, Denmark. I work in the Danish Ministry of Environment with spatial planning and environmental impacts. I bought my first Omega watch, a simple but beautifully patinated Seamaster, cal. 268 on January 25th 2014 exactly three days before my daughter was born. I now own four watches: an old Cyma, two Seamaster 30 and a Constellation Pie-pan Deluxe. And just today I received word from Watchco that I'm on the waiting list for a SM300 ::jumpy:: Will probably arrive just in time for summer holiday.

:thumbsup:

Privateday7 likes this.
  18. speedbird Apr 11, 2014

Thanks!! Glad to be here

i20rider likes this.
  19. knozkhi Apr 14, 2014

Okay I've been on OF a month, one of the more enthusiastic newbies around, and am yet to introduce myself. I'm a 24 year old Pakistani, who has been living in Australia for the past 4 years. I'm studying Government, International Relations and History at the University of Sydney. I reckon I'm probably the only Pakistani on this forum, and I'm pretty proud of that fact :).

My fascination with wristwatches started at a young age. Having never met my grandfather, the only 'memory' I had of him was a 1950s Rolex bubbleback. My father has promised it to me on the day of my graduation, which by the way is in October this year. I managed to save up a bit of cash and began investing in watches very recently, about a little over a year ago. My collection started with a TAG Heuer Carrera CV2014-2 which I still own and want to sell soon. Within a short span of time I've managed to grow my collection to a Tudor Heritage Black Bay, a Universal Geneve Compax (1953) and a Rolex Oyster Precision (1973) among others. Hoping to add on to the collection slowly and steadily. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience on the forums, everyone here is extremely knowledgeable and eager to help!

Three cheers to everyone here and OmegaForums! ::psy:: ::psy::

20. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2014

I'm not 100% sure of that, but you might be. Regardless, we welcome your boundless enthusiasm.

Trev and knozkhi like this.