Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. proximal Nov 19, 2013

Hi everyone, I'm here doing a little homework since I've decided to buy a Speedmaster. I keep going back and forth between the 3594.50 and 3570.50; suppose I'll own both eventually!

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 19, 2013

:thumbsup: Welcome....and yeah totally agree if you plan to own both!!!!

3. westcliffhouse Nov 24, 2013

Hi,

My name is Dylan and I am a lover of watches and clocks. I do nothing exciting in terms of work, but I do deal in watches from time to time.

I currently own a Speedmaster Cal 1045, a Tag Heuer Monaco, a Tag Heuer Aquaracer (everyday watch) and quite a few Pau[SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#006600][COLOR=#fbb917][COLOR=#006600][COLOR=#fbb917][COLOR=#006600][COLOR=#fbb917][COLOR=#006600]l Smith watches. I know Pau[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]l Smith is not a watch maker but I like them a the same.

I am also currently reading Omega A Journey Through Time, so I will get back to you when I finish reading it in a coupe of decades time.

Cheers

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 24, 2013

Welcome Dylan. We will, of course, need to see some photos of your watches, even the Paul Smith's. Company policy. :)

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 24, 2013

Hi Dylan and welcome. Just to emphasise what MMMD is saying, you will see that the infamous ulackfocus often replies to threads with a simple, "without pictures, it didn't happen"

6. ulackfocus Nov 24, 2013

In it's simplest form, the wording is "no pictures = didn't happen". ;)

In colonial terms, the wording is "photographs or it shan't have come to pass".

In yoda-speak, it's "useless this thread is without pictures".

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 24, 2013

Welcome Dylan, I bet no one in here had finished reading AJTT, certainly not me. I only read the relevant part: Speedmaster, Constellation and some of Seamaster. The others are just as needed basis.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 25, 2013

Hoi perhaps?

Privateday7 likes this.
  9. isospin Nov 28, 2013

Hi My name is Sunny and I've never owned a mechanical watch before - only the quartz things. Growing up my dad owned an Omega which he treasured so much that he never wore it! All I know about it was that me and my brother were not allowed to touch it. He must have sold it as I did not find it going through his possessions when he passed a few years back. When I was old enough to get my own watch - a mechanical timepiece made no sense to my young college brain at all - it was expensive, not as accurate, you had to adjust the date once in a while, and would quit if you didn't wind it or wear it, and had no built in "alarm" to wake me for my early morning class! In contrast, the digital watches kept perfect time, you didn't need to worry about reading a dial when a display did that job much faster, and you never had to set the date except when you changed the battery, and it did the job of a portable alarm clock. So I never owned one. When my parents suggested to get me a watch for my high school graduation, I asked for something else instead, and I ended up buying a cheap Casio "calculator watch" with my pocket money. I still have it. I don't know if it still works, of course, because when the battery went I bought another cheap Timex digital. and so on it went.

It's only now I've learned to appreciate the fineness and precision involved in building these mechanical instruments. I can't believe I've missed out for so long! Now I'm going to get one. Maybe more than one eventually. Obviously I won't look by brand alone, but I'm a bit partial to Omegas because there was something "untouchable" about them for me growing up. Hence I'm here learning about them. I've been lurking here (and, admittedly on a few other forums) for a while now, and I've learned so much from reading through some of your posts. Thank you so much for having an awesome community where I can hang out and learn about instruments so awesome and so intricate - instruments which my parent's and grandparent's generation spent so much of their brainpower and energy innovating, engineering and perfecting.

thisisjlai likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 29, 2013

Hi Sunny. I like that avatar picture.

11. ohmegah Dec 2, 2013

Well, Hello!

As some of you may know me already from other WIS fora on the 'net, I'll keep my introduction, brief.

My name is Wallace… Boring so far, right?

I practice Architecture from my own small, studio in the Greater Toronto Area. (yawn…)

I've been an Omegaphile for quite a while, and purchased my first (2531.80 - Bond) to commemorate the birth of my first daughter in 2005. A few years (and many Omegas) later, I find myself, here. (wow, this is spellbinding - not)

Ready to share and contribute, I'm looking forward to making new friends and reconnecting with some who've already migrated here!

If there are no questions, let's get to it!

12. Poolio Dec 2, 2013

[​IMG]Evenin' all... living in Manchester, bit of a hoarder...recently smashed my collar bone and spent quite a bit of time pottering about tidying when I stumbled upon a tin of medals, notes, coins and WATCHES! Spent the next 2 weeks with a head full of codeine researching them all... I think I've got the bug...
    I have an 80s Roamer, 70s Omega Geneva, a 60s Rotary, 50s Rolex, 40s Longines, and a 30s Gruen/Rolex... Bought some Autosol metak polish, a basic repair kit, and some polishing powders... piccys below...
    [​IMG]
    Omega[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rotary
    [​IMG]
    Rolex
    [​IMG]
    Longines
    [​IMG]
    Gruen/Rolex?
    [​IMG]

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 2, 2013

At least you have the excuse of the headfull of codeine. Most of us got into this cold sober.

Welcome.

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 2, 2013

Welcome Wallace. Practicing architecture from your own studio is not boring, it's cool. If you were another doctor or accountant, we'd be bored. Please stop fueling the stereotype of Canadians as people who view themselves as boring and apologize a lot, and try to be more like your awesomely unrepentant mayor. ;)

15. ohmegah Dec 3, 2013

lol - thanks for the welcome… I appreciate the sentiment :)

While my intro was meant to read as being "tongue in cheek", it's interesting the perspective other's have on Canadians and Rob Ford. Internally, we see him as an embarrassment. Externally, it appears he's just what the world wants to see in a leader. It think that says more about the decline in society, in general, than I care to admit… That's a shame. We all are responsible to conduct ourselves with decorum, dignity and in respect of our fellow Man. Politicians, have a responsibly to lead by example. There is no doubt Ford has failed on all accounts. To celebrate this failure (beyond poking fun) is reflective of the decline of our moral standard.

Personally, I'd like to apologize (on behalf of all Canadians) for the behaviour of our Mayor ;-)

16. Difeer Dec 3, 2013

Hi all, I am a postgraduate student studying in Perth. I have always enjoyed looking at watches, but it was not until recently that I seriously considered buying a classic dress watch. Initially, I was looking at modern watches that were inspired by classic designs, like hamilton, seiko, and orient, but I soon realized that I always end up comparing those watches to a connie pie pan, "Is this as nice as a connie pie pan?", or even worse, "Does this look like a connie pie pan?". That's when I knew that what I actually want is a connie pie pan. I have never bought a vintage watch before. So I hope to learn more in this forum while waiting for the right piece to come along. Thanks guys for having such a great forum. I look forward to making some friends who share similar interests. Cheers.

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 3, 2013

,Welcome Difeer, Poolio, Sunny !!
    Sunny, are you of the feminine persuasion? (effeminate doesn't count!)
    I am totally comfortable with all, but if you are female, you automatically rise to a special position as we are mainly old bearded goats here.
    Please report to Mrs. Melhadry.

Seriously, welcome all, my friends, to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend................ Sorry, little flashback there.

18. isospin Dec 3, 2013

Thanks UncleBuck for the hearty welcome. I guess it helps to have a nickname which can be of either gender - that way I get to play both ways in some online fora - but I'm afraid I can't claim any special status here. That is because I'm defying no demographics for this group. Certainly not a 'bearded goat' by any means, but apart from that I'm as manly as it gets.

I'm truly enjoying this forum and thankful for the warm welcome. Im certainly learning a lot from the collective wisdom of everyone here.

19. Hijak Dec 5, 2013

:cool: Buck your dating yourself with that 70s rock reference from E.L.P...

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2013

Hey, At least I left out the "Vaseline" part.
    ELP and King Crimson before, started me on the path to destruction.

Tire-comedon and Hijak like this.