Forums Latest Members
  1. Superpacker Apr 9, 2013

So I just need to get this out to know if I need to get the idea out of my head. How hard is to find the Seamaster DeVille recently featured in Mad Men? First, I hate calling it "The Draper Seamaster" however, this seems to be the easiest way to refer to it. Second, I have never seen a single episode, and have no plan to. However, I have known for years that I had wanted a vintage Omega, known for a while that I wanted a Seamaster DeVille, and then when I saw this model on Hodinkee, I concluded that it best encapsulated what I was looking for. However, my searching and reading so far has lead me to several conclusion: 1) black dial Seamasters are rarer than white; 2) cross-hairs are rarer than plain dials; 3) black dial with cross-hair even rarer; 4) the popularity of the show only makes these even harder to find, and frequently faked. Thoughts?

2. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2013

95% of black dials are refinished. 99.5% of black dialed Seamaster DeVilles with crosshairs are refinished. To specifically comment on point #4: yes, sort of - it makes them more findable as redials since the casual vintage buyer only wants a Mad Men Don Draper watch. :rolleyes:

3. Dablitzer Apr 9, 2013

I might be wrong but isn't the said watch from Mad Men a redial anyway? Bought from Watchestobuy.com?

4. Superpacker Apr 9, 2013

Yeah, I've read that its a redial. I know it sound cliche, and potentially by owning it someone might say "Hey, its the Don Draper watch." However, I already knew I was looking for a sleek and simple black dial Seamaster, and I felt the crosshairs just added a touch of panache while maintaining clean simplicity.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 9, 2013

There's really no shame in owning a redialed watch.

If you like the look, wear and enjoy.

6. Dablitzer Apr 9, 2013

Completely agree! :D It actually kickastarted my love of Seamasters so I can't really complain. And I love black dial & crosshair, it seems to have the sleek appeal in leaps and bounds! The first Seamaster I owned was a redial - black dial, gold cap with crosshair...Happy Days! ::psy::

Just PM you.

7. Superpacker Apr 9, 2013

Good perspective. I can see that.

8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

Agree, as long as you don't overpay...

9. Dablitzer Apr 9, 2013

Thats a really good point. Some of them are more expensive than their original counterparts.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 9, 2013

Proudly wearing a Draper Memovox (Season 1) - or something like it - today. It looks better on me. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NT931 and Dablitzer like this.
  11. agee Apr 9, 2013

Very very cool Memovox

12. Superpacker Apr 9, 2013

Yes. Very cool. MMMD, nice how you acknowledge the Draper association, but more assertively make it yours!

13. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 9, 2013

14. danjperry Apr 10, 2013

15. Superpacker Apr 16, 2013

Dang you Rolling Stone Magazine (and Hodinkee)! By featuring Mr. Draper on the cover in this Seamaster, and by Hodinkee pointing it out, this could have increased the difficulty.

16. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

More likely it will increase the amount of dials redone in black. :rolleyes:

17. Superpacker Apr 16, 2013

That too. Maybe this will ease the clamor for genuine black dials? As many will be distracted by pristine redials in their effort to embody Mr. Draper. Still have not seen a single show.

18. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

You & me both brother.

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 21, 2013

Almost similar to Don Draper's. The difference: it is not Deville and it is not redialed ;) Cal 503

SMB Group 3 LR.jpg SMB Group 2 LR.jpg SMB Group 1 LR.jpg

With its cousin a subsecond black dial Seamaster
    SMB Group double 1 LR.jpg SMB Group Caseback 2 LR.jpg

20. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 21, 2013