Forums Latest Members

Tapatalk Temporarily Disabled Due To Issues With Performance (update: Now Re-enabled)

1. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

It turns out that Tapatalk was creating our dreaded (though somewhat infrequent) delay after posting or "liking" a post. In addition to the random delays, Tapatalk was also bringing up the response times of some other site functions by 50% or more.

It's disappointing that the plugin was causing these performance issues site-wide, and we've decided to disable the Tapatalk software until a resolution is found. Our apologies for any inconvenience. We'll be continuing with tests and looking to fix this as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Trev

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 18, 2012

Ahhh! My preference would be slower response times, with tapatalk enabled, than vice versa...

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

Some of the delays were over 20 seconds in creating a new post or 'liking' posts.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

I use Tapatalk myself, too. It's just unfortunate that these issues affect our majority of visitors (who aren't running Tapatalk).

The issue appears to be affecting other sites, so hopefully there's some progress seen on the Tapatalk side soon.

5. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2012

I use Safari on my phone. Can't post from Photobucket nor use smileys, but that's not a terrible concession.

6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

I'm doing a huge overhaul of the ΩF design/user-interface right now. The first new version will bring fairly solid native support for tablets. Later revisions will also support phones and smaller displays.

We've tracked down the Tapatalk issue to their push notification servers. Their servers are overloaded, and unfortunately their code hangs everything until a response is received (even for non-tapa users!). Pretty weak. We're working on a workaround via the developers or on our own.

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

Tapatalk is re-enabled and the performance issues are resolved. Disabling Tapatalk push support and a couple of other extra Tapa "features" sorted it out.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 18, 2012

You guys do rock.

Trev likes this.
  9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

Thanks!

10. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2012

[​IMG]

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 19, 2012

Yes, that is exactly how I picture you - except with an 18k stepped, pie pan, date at 6 Seamaster on your wrist

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Funny that you are having that problem, D.

Have you tried the Photobucket app?

http://photobucket.com/mobile/apps/iphone/#iphone

I use it all the time to upload iPhone pix.

Use the "i" button to copy linking information which may be pasted into a forum post (using "IMG"), e-mail or text.

No muss, no fuss.
    gatorcpa