Forums Latest Members

Taking (maybe) a plunge on a Tri-Compax.Seeking expert advice

1. Fazmaster Apr 20, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I have been yearning for a Tri-Compax for years. I thought I found a good example and made a commitment.But the more I look at it the colder my feet are getting. I was hoping to get a very honest opinion and guidance on the watch I was looking into. The seller is top notch but I want the best watch I can get..

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6770469&rid=0#msg_6770469

Cheers and thanks in advance

Faz

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 21, 2014

Hmm - it's good that you ask questions first and buy second. :thumbsup:

1. Gold filled cases are worth a good deal less than solid gold or steel cases, even though they tend to be less common. I'd say that in even in decent condition, the price tag is reaching high for a gold filled model.

2. In my amateur opinion, the dial is a well done redial. I have an intuition... The ink seems wrong - too bright, and the dial has an uneven pantina. These are signs of a redial. Secondly, at least one and probably both of the date wheels have been replaced. You can see that the pantina is inconsistent between the two and also between them and the dial.

I would stay away from this one. It seems like a cobbled together watch.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 21, 2014

Agree about redial. Note how markers overlap numbers at 10, 20, 40 and 50.

4. Fazmaster Apr 21, 2014

Thank you very much gentlemen. I am convinced. But I have to admit that I was blinded by the light. I never looked close enough. This compounded with my unfamiliarity with these fine timepieces....The hunt continues.

Thanks again for the warm advice!

Cheers,

Faz

5. rolokr Apr 23, 2014

Redial! Steel back? 3750 is high. PM me I have 7 Tri-compax, 3 gold 4 stainless. I might be ready to sell one.
    Roland