Forums Latest Members

Suggestions for used sub $1000 watch please...

1. SundayDuffer Aug 18, 2014

im new to luxury watches, never ever spent more than $250 for a watch. But that had changed. I just bought a brand new Speedy Pro Chocolate Sapphire Sandwich...it's on its way...yay..so excited.

anyhow, i prolly wont be wearing the speedy as a daily wear. Hence looking for a used, sport, swiss made, decent shape sub $1000. Ive been looking on wus and here.... But havent seen anything that stood out yet.

would you please recommend me your choices so that i can do more readings on them?

Thankyou.

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2014

Good news and bad news. The good news is that with your budget, there is a huge array of vintage possibilities from which to choose. The bad news is that with your budget, there is a huge array of vintage possibilities from which to choose. :p

If you could narrow down your preferences a bit (e.g. size range, metal, etc.), it would help others to make sensible suggestions.

Modest_Proposal and SundayDuffer like this.
  3. LeDave Aug 18, 2014

Tag Heuer has a collection of quartz swiss made watches for under 1k. If I can recall, it's called Formula 1 or something like that.

SundayDuffer likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 18, 2014

Congrats! The Speedmaster is a great choice! It's a durable watch, and in your shoes, I'd wear and enjoy it daily. And perhaps have a "beater" watch in the side for really rough activities or in the water.

The <$1000 category covers a LOT of ground, both new and used. Sport and Swiss made doesn't narrow it down much.
    Are you looking for a diver, a chronograph, something else, mechanical, quartz, metal, strap or bracelet...? The list goes on.

Can you narrow it down a bit? :)

SundayDuffer likes this.
  5. SundayDuffer Aug 18, 2014

Lol...im a noob..sorry.

i dont wear suits nor dress pants to work.. Dont attend formal gatherings... 80% in jeans, 20% in shorts. I golf often, enjoy the outdoors. Therefore, i dont want a dressy watch... A chrono or a diver type will do.. Can i get away with a seamaster chrono??? Dont care much for ss bracelets...prolly will go w a nato strap.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 19, 2014

The Speedy is perfect for informal work and casual wear, don't let it sit in a drawer for special occasions.

As for the beater... I am a fan of the Luminox brand. Don't currently own one, but have had several over the years. There are many styles and models in your budget, and IMO they're a great secondary watch that can withstand hard use. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck with your search.

SundayDuffer likes this.
  7. speedbird Aug 19, 2014

Lots of great vintage omegas under $1k

SundayDuffer and NT931 like this.
  8. NT931 Aug 19, 2014

And lots of great examples of modern and vintage watches in the WRUW thread under $1200 too!

Darlinboy and SundayDuffer like this.
  9. SeanO Aug 19, 2014

if you're looking for a beater then one of the posher Seiko models could be up your alley. Lum-Tec make some nice stuff around that price bracket as well.

homebrw and SundayDuffer like this.
  10. M.D. Aug 19, 2014

I have a Luminox as a beater and would recommend it. Very durable watch. Lots of choices at a reasonable price.

+1 on wearing your Speedy daily. I wear mine often.

SundayDuffer likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 19, 2014

Luminox gets my vote. Have one as a beater and never misses a beat. Basic models are cheap as ,and all take about the same size Luminox bands which there a several types, colours and styles

MikiJ and SundayDuffer like this.
  12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 19, 2014

Just FYI, in case you weren't aware, you should not wear a mechanical watch when you golf. The g-forces are bad for them. Or at least that's how the old saying goes. Do others care to chime in? Maybe that's just a fiction.

SundayDuffer likes this.
  13. SundayDuffer Aug 19, 2014

Thx guys for the inputs. I got my eyes on the MKII Nassau now. I will start looking at the others suggested above. Thx.

14. homebrw Aug 19, 2014

Another vote for Luminox if going quartz. I also own several Lum-tec watches and if it came down to keeping the Luminox or the Lum-tec I'd vote LT all day and twice on Sunday. My LT Combat B3 (the original, 2nd watch he made not the new super B3) IS my daily beater. The Luminox is for golf or other dangerous or dirty activities.
    Chris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SundayDuffer likes this.
  15. vintagejumbo Aug 19, 2014

SundayDuffer likes this.
  16. vintagejumbo Aug 19, 2014

I would think that the point of impact with the ball, as is the case with both golf and tennis, would cause the most damage to the watch (not speaking as an expert, but as a former golfer). Which makes the Richard Mille watches all the more stunning seeing how Bubba Watson and Nadal wear them while competing in their respective sports.

17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 19, 2014

I wore one and bought two others for my son-in-laws. One of them is in the landscaping business the other is a cop. Luminox uses the same lumens that are in my tritium nite-sites. All have been one of the Navy Seals versions. Talk about: "Take a lickin' and keep-on tickin' :)